“Other than street noise, Great place to rest.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton New Orleans Hotel

You added Sheraton New Orleans Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton New Orleans Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #81 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Dallas, Texas
“Other than street noise, Great place to rest.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Like other reviewers that had an odd-numbered room, there was some noise from the street below. I was on the 31st floor. Bed was very comfortable. Everything clean and in working order. Front desk staff friendly and helpful. Location is very good downtown. I would look forward to staying here again.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This hotel was VERY mediocre. Let me start with my gripes then I'll quickly run through the positives.

The negatives: First off , the lobby/restaurant area is kind of a mess. It's very poorly designed and the feng shui is awful. It's basically all one huge open area with seating haphazardly strewn about. It offers no class and it can be extremely loud and obnoxious. The restaurant (Pelican Bar) is a major thumbs down. The food is awful. My family and I grabbed a drink and appetizer there the first night of our arrival. Do not get the 'mediterranean nachos' . It literally looked like vomit and tasted like nothing. Do they not have a real chef? The service was also pretty poor. It can take a long time to get a simple drink and they have about 5 bartenders behind the bar! what are they doing? That I do not know. After one drink and 3 bites of nachos it was a unanimous decision to not eat there again and we didn't. Again, the food was EXTREMELY disappointing. The whole bar area set up is horrible. There is a ton of space but its not intimate at all nor is there any style or class. Also, There are panhandlers coming in off the street disturbing patrons. It's sad. We actually ended up going to Hotel Monteleone subsequent nights just so we could get a decent cocktail and better service in a WAY better atmosphere. The elevator situation is just plain weird. It's not that hard to figure out yet it's still funky and it causes huge people jams on the 1st floor. The staff are nice but not very helpful. I mean, they just don't care. Maybe they're just burned out from Mardi Gras or something but we never felt like we got meaningful/helpful advice or answers and they just didn't seem like they ever did much. Also, I noticed a lot of reviews on here mentioning issues with changing their rooms and we also experienced that. The first day we got there we were told upgrading to a suite the following day would be no problem, and that we should just come down to the front desk the next morning. Well, we did exactly that and lo and behold , no suites available. In fact, it seemed to be a common strategy of the staff to simply appease people to fulfill an immediate issue but then never follow through!

The positives : the rooms themselves are, overall, nice. The fitness area is also nice, clean and modern. Location is good and right near the french quarter, but canal street is a total cluster-fudge. The views are pretty spectacular.

Summary: Cons: very poor food/drinks, nice staff but total lack of gumption, terrible atmosphere (constantly loud and obnoxious, and no music!? is this NOLA?) Pros: clean rooms, good location, good views, nice fitness center

Take Away: if you can pony up the cash go to Hotel Monteleone. It's got so much more class and style and better service. When you're at Hotel Monteleone it FEELS like you're actually in New Orleans.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We're not long back from a 6 day break at this hotel. It was great and I can definitely recommend it. We were there for the last three days of carnival culminating in Mardi Gras so on arrival we were given wrist bands to ensure we could use the toilet facilities etc during the parades. This was a god send as we were right on the parade route and there was a pop up drinks stand called Coco Bongos outside so we could get our drinks and watch all the parades plus get some good throws without having to worry about the bathrooms. Check in was easy and we were given our key right away when we checked in at 5pm. Our room was on the 20th floor with a good view of Canal Street. The room was spacious and clean. We were asked on arrival if we wanted house keeping every day or every other day. We opted for every other day but I think it was cleaned every day anyway. We received complimentary water and coffee making facilities. The Sheraton sweet sleeper bed was amazing, so comfortable. I wish I could ship it to the UK. The room also had a very large bathroom and a flat screen TV. You do have to pay for Wifi, but we struck lucky and somehow managed to find a hot spot if we stood by our window! We gave credit card details on arrival in case we were to get any of the movies or hotel wifi etc but we didn't bother as there was so much to do around New Orleans. The hotel has a pool which we didn't use, a restaurant and a well run bar with late night snacks. The gumbo and the chicken wings were amazing. We are planning another trip next year and I think this hotel could be top of our list. It is a reasonable price and the location couldn't be beaten if you are there for Mardi Gras.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I was attending a conference which was located in this hotel. Arriving at 11:30 at night, it was not until I had my third room that things seemed ok. First room, very nice, but located next to the elevators and the shower was dripping, requested a change of room; second room, was occupied (awkward!!), Thank goodness that the door chain was used; third room (with upgrade) was fine. The staff were very empathic.

The rooms are large and nicely updated. Each room (that I saw) had large floor to ceiling windows over looking New Orleans and Canal Street. I really loved the views, though it can be noisy even on the 42nd floor. One night someone was drumming in the streets until 1 am. (Did I mention that I am noise sensitive!)

One plus, the WIFI worked and was consistent!! I had to watch some long corporate videos through VPN and did not have any issues.

The room door sometimes did not lock automatically. I needed to pull up on the handle inside to activate the locking system. The water in the restrooms in the conference area was always cold. The water temps were fine in the room and I really like hot showers.

There is a Starbucks off their lobby. Be prepare to wait and for them to get your order wrong. It seemed to be a common experience among several people that I spoke to, including me.

Room Tip: Odd room numbers have a view of Canal street and Even number rooms have the Mississippi.
Green Features: Nice that they will reward guest for being environmentally friendly.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
manila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This hotel has a good location, but it is a zoo at Mardi Gras. Corruption runs rampant with the hotel staff during Mardi Gras. Maid service was unorganized and rooms were not cleaned properly. (Every day a different cleaning item was left in my room from the maid cart). The rooms are pretty small/cramped. The gym is adequate, pool is small and not on the top deck. Overall this would be a fine hotel to stay in, but during Mardi Gras the prices are ridiculous and not worth it.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Brittany D, Social Media Specialist at Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Hi Ttchabbs,

We value you as our guest and thank you for your feedback. Due to the nature of your review, we welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly and hope that you will call our Director of Front Office at 504-595-6232. We look forward to connecting with you soon.
Mandeville, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Stayed here during Mardi Gras 2015. The room was large and very clean. Service was really good. Location just a few blocks from the French Quarter, Harrahs Casino and the driver front. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was the price. A little overpriced.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Hi Baldmandave,

Thanks for your review! We're so happy you enjoyed #SheratonMardiGras and we hope to welcome back with us in 2015!
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This is a great place to stay. My husband and I were here for a conference for him, The hotel was very nice, the customer service was very friendly, great location, right on the edge of the French Quarter, couple of blocks to the aquarium, shopping and Tulane hospital. We were up on the 44th floor and could see Lake Pochatrain from our window. There is a gym with outdoor swimming pool on the 8th floor.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Hi C M,

Thanks for visiting from South Carolina and thank you for sharing your feedback! We're so happy you enjoyed the location of our hotel and were able to make use of Sheraton Fitness. The views from Sheraton Club are truly breathtaking and we're glad you were able to experience such sights. We hope to welcome you back with us very soon!

Been to Sheraton New Orleans Hotel? Share your experiences!