“A Sustainable Choice Conveniently Located right on Canal Street between the Garden District and the French Quarter” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton New Orleans Hotel

You added Sheraton New Orleans Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton New Orleans Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #81 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This trip was a business trip, and the Sheraton New Orleans was both the convention site and lodging. I stayed there for four nights. The hotel is located directly on Canal Street smack between the French Quarter and the Garden District. This hotel had many sustainable aspects that I had not yet seen in other hotels. While many hotels have been doing the "do we really need to change your linen every day" thing, Sheraton New Orleans has gone much further. The hotel has replaced their fluorescent and incandescent lights with CFL and LED lights; this not only saves on the electricity to power the lighting but the heat load for the space, requiring less air conditioning (I'm an energy conservation director, professionally, so I know what I'm talking about). The guest rooms and other spaces are equipped with occupancy sensors that are tied into the lighting and HVAC -- if the space is unoccupied, the lights are turned off and the heating, cooling and ventilating are reduced or turned off, saving energy. The faucets, fixtures and showerheads are low flow, saving potable water consumption (more about the water later in this review). They have a recycling program that includes the guest rooms -- this is the first hotel I have stayed in ever that had a recycling bin in the room! The hotel does not purchase or use styrofoam (which is not recyclable). You can do all your hotel business electronically (they emailed my receipt to me). The housekeeping staff use fewer chemicals to provide a healthier guest environment and reduced environmental impact. Low VOC (volatile organic compounds) products are used, for the same reason. The hotel is 100% non-smoking (more about this later).

What were the negatives about the sustainability program? Very few. The shower produces very little water pressure for hot water (plenty for cold), meaning that you have to step away from a hot shower when someone in an adjacent room flushes the toilet (reminds me of my Army days) because the cold water disappears completely and you find yourself under a scaling hot shower for a few seconds (ouch!). The toilet flushes liquids fine but has a challenge flushing solids (including tissues) -- a dual flush system would have been a better choice -- save the power for the solids and keep the low flow for the liquids -- I had to flush more than once with the low flow as the only choice so in the end, it doesn't save water resources, at leats not in my room, it didn't. That's it for the negatives.

How about the sustainable positives? This hotel has these very highly technical elevators that were very impressive. You press in the numbers for the floor you want to go to and the system chooses the elevator that can most efficiently take you there, and tells you which elevator to go to. You can't pick another elevator, either. Your floor has been programmed into the elevator dispatched to you. You step in and it is a bit disconcerting at first, you want to press the button for your floor, and there are no buttons except emergency buttons once inside. The floor numbers that the elevator will stop at appear on an LCD screen to the side of the doorway. The elevators (which cover 49 floors) lift very quickly (ear pressure popping, too) but smoothly, and quietly, and in seconds, truly, you are at your destination. Very efficient, not only from an energy use standpoint but from a get-the-guest-to-their-destination-fast standpoint, too. Sweet!

The hotel lobby has a Starbucks (the coffee in your room is Starbucks, too), a very nice lounge, lots of areas for people to sit and meet or read the paper, multiple free computer workstations where registered guests can use the computer for free for a max of 15 minutes per session and print their boarding passes (no color printing), a very helpful concierge desk manned from 7AM until 11PM, a FedEx center, gift shop and more amenities.

The hotel rooms have beds with luxurious comforters and linens, wonderfully soft pillows and mattresses that I personally found painfully hard. They have a wall thermostat that controls the air and heat (maximum of 80 degrees). The windows are wall to ceiling with shutters to control privacy and light. Some rooms have fridges, many do not (mine did not). All rooms have alarm clocks with radios, what seemed like a 50-inch flat screen TV, work desk with a data and power console for computers, coffee makers, ice bucket, bottles of nothing-fancy water (which appeared to be free but shockingly weren't, when I checked out and got charged for them; to me, the word "compliments" means I don't get charged for it, but I was charged for it), a data and power jack on the bedside table, a safe, ironing board and iron, hair dryer, complimentary (yes, these actually were free) shampoos, conditioners, shower gels and lotions, a very nice makeup mirror, nice thick towels, etc. There is a soda vending machine and ice machines on every guest floor near the elevator banks.

Dogs are not permitted here (you can stay at the LaQuinta on Camp just two blocks away if you want to come here with dogs -- see my earlier review on that hotel).

Why is this such a good location? Well, Canal Street runs along the perimeter of the French Quarter and the Garden District, the two most visited areas of New Orleans. The popular streetcars run along Canal Street right in front of the hotel and the St Charles streetcar line (which goes through the Garden District) is just two blocks away, The Riverfront streetcar line (which runs along -- you guessed it -- the river front, as in the mighty Mississippi River) is just 6 blocks away (the Canal Street line stops there). You can get a day pass for the streetcars (don't call them trolleys or cable cars -- you will be soundly corrected by Noleans) for $3.00 per person (exact cash change, no credit cards, no change) and use it on all the streetcars and all the buses. The St Charles line runs into the Garden District (which looks sort of yucky at first when you leave Canal Street but be patient because the beautiful Victorian and Southern mansions will soon appear) and passes Audobon Park where the Audobon Zoo is housed (went there several years ago -- very nice), and past Tulane University. The Audobon Insectarium (relatively new) is located on Canal on the way to the riverfront (about 5 blocks from the hotel). If you are into casinos, Harrah's Casino is also located at the riverfront. The Audobon Aquarium is located on the riverfront, along with the ferry (free) that will take you to Algiers, the island across the Mississippi that has the mardi gras museum (the museum is interesting but the part of the island that you see between the ferry dock and the walk to the museum is pretty ugly, and nothing else to do there except the museum). The convention center and the Riverwalk Shoppes (a shopping mall) are there. If you need a 24 hour drug store or convenience store, CVS is located 5 blocks on Canal from the hotel (away from the river) and Walgreens is located 7 blocks on Canal (also away from the river). There are multiple places to eat along Canal, most expensive (I heard there were good). I was on a budget, so I had breakfast at the IHOP on Canal about 8 blocks from the hotel, and ate once at the McDonalds on Canal (about 3 blocks from the hotel). NOLA is known for its muffalatas and po-boys (po'boys are like open subs or grinders), and there are plenty of places in the French Quarter that serve them. Many of the bars also serve food. I had a good po'boy at one of the bars and tried a muffalata at the French Market (located at the eastern end of the Riverfront streetcar line) in the French Quarter. The French Quarter is fun at night and strikingly ugly during the day time. NOLA's French Quarter has a large "residentially challenged" population and, sorry to say it, filthy streets and sidewalks in the unforgiving light of day.There cobblestones sidewalks and streets there are badly in need of repair (and repair work was indeed going on during my entire visit) but it is wise to be watching where you are stepping because trip hazards abound. The "residentially challenged" can be rather aggressive about trying to get you to support their lifestyle (or lack of it) and Noleans seem to accept it but a tourist I found it unpleasant having anyone, challenged or not, sticking their dirty smelly face right in mine while I was eating at a outdoor cafe and asking me for money. Early in the morning, and all through the day actually, I saw people sleeping in doorways. Just keep your money out of plain view (wise no matter where you are) and don't be surprised if you are approached every block by someone. The French Quarter has not only the French Market (with flea market stalls and farmer's market stalls and places to eat) but the bars (many rowdy) and restaurants and strip clubs. It also has a surprising amount of fine art galleries and neat shops. Jackson Square has artists displaying their wares on the fences (some of it is very good) and fortune tellers (strictly for entertainment value) and street musicians. Street musicians are all over the French Quarter and some are on Canal Street. Just about all of the street musicians were very talented, too, and many of them sell their music on CD (I bought three different albums, that's how good they are). The French Quarter allows drinking in the street except the booze must be in a can or a plastic cup, no glass bottles. The once thing I hated as a non-smoker who came from a state that prohibited smoking in all public places including restaurants and bars in 2000, is that smoking is allowed in the bars here. I left two bars after just half a beer when a walking ashtray sat next to me and blew their filthy exhaust in my hair and face. I enjoyed live music in a bar and made it through a whole beer before another walking ashtray parked their carcass next to me and proceeded to infect me with second hand smoke again. Blehh. Kind of a downer. Interestingly enough, during this visit, the news discussed how NOLA is proposing an ordinance to prohibit smoking in bars but opponents in the legislature said they didn't want it because they couldn't spare the police to enforce it. I personally do not plan to visit another bar ever again in NOLA until they do pass it -- fingers crossed.

Oh, for sports fans, the French Quarter has lots of TVs tuned into sports, and the SuperDome is not a walk away but a short taxi ride away (you pass it when you get off I-10 on your way to the hotel). And the TV in the hotel has a plethora of sports channels.

The hotel TV also has pay movies, HBO and the usual cable lineups.

If you are a registered guest, you can get free internet (which you can only receive in your room, not in the lobby or in the meeting spaces) for up to five days for up to three devices. It worked reliably.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise, do not pick a adjoining room with a connecting door. I could hear the...
Green Features: As an energy conservation professional, I appreciated the sustainable choices, I do wish the toilets were dual-flush instead of strictly low flow.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Two days ago I wrote a review of the Sheraton where among other things, I recounted my disappointing experience with the way a recurrent problem with my room's bathroom was handled. Mainly, I was surprised that when I had to change rooms at 3 in the morning the representative did not even apologize. Well, I decided to update the review after I was contacted by Miss Simone Wickman, front office manager after the review was posted.

She was very apologetic and offered me to change room to one with a King bed, since the Suites were full. I declined, since one move was enough, but I appreciated her attention. I did receive access to the club level lounge with the complimentary breakfast, and happy hour, and points equal to one night stay. Ms. Wickman demonstrated how little details make a difference, and I will definitely consider staying at the Sheraton on my next trip to NOLA. Now, some details about the property:

The good: Check-in was fast. The bartenders and servers at the lobby restaurant (Pelican?) are extremely nice. Centric location, room is a nice size, and if you get a river view you have a beautiful floor to ceiling window. Personnel responded quickly to the problem with a faulty screeching toilet, and I was sent a follow up email to verify it was resolved. When I asked for a bathrobe they brought one, and it is very soft. If you join their rewards program you get a free bottle of water in your room. The elevator system is cool; put your floor number in and the assigned car will take you directly to it.

Cons: Small bathroom and you have to ask for a bathrobe. The second room I moved to had a used cotton-swab on top of the bed, and the first one had some leftover rice grains around the TV. However, in general the rooms appeared clean. Bath amenities are basic and few. Really thin walls. I am attending a workshop so sadly, I can't stay up late, but I still had to endure the shouts and giggling in the corridor from party revelers.

Room service: The muffaletta sliders are actually nice, the bread pudding not so. Laverne has been specially efficient and very cordial.

In sum, I will stay here again if needed.

P.s. I really like the bathrobe.

Room Tip: River view
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My wife and I stayed four nights and it was great. The staff was very kind and met all of our expectations. The hotel was in a great location for us to easily get to all the places we wanted to visit. Our view was awesome. I was attending a conference and the breakfast and lunch provided were very good.

Room Tip: Higher rooms for a better view.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Stayed 3 nights at the Sheraton New Orleans on Canal Street. The location is good, close to Bourbon Street and the French Quarter. The rooms are comfortable (we had 2 rooms) and the staff are lovely. Little things like the plumbing being ordinary and the ice machine not working detracted a bit as did the fact that there was no free wifi which has been in every other Hotel we have stayed at. These however are only minor. The main beef was when we ordered room service. It came 2 hours earlier than we ordered, the toast was still bread, the coffee we ordered never showed but they did not forget to add an automatic 18% gratuity. Overall a nice comfortable stay, just don't get the room service.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed at this sheraton for a conference.

I was on the 26th floor and had a view of Canal Street and the River. It was great!

While the room was nothing spectacular it was more than adequate for a business traveler like myself.

The workout room was one of the best that i've seen anywhere with lots weights and machines. The pool area (8th floor) was also very nice - not much of a view but still nice.

The French Quarter is literally right across Canal Street. The Casino is only a block or two away. Shopping and Food in every direction.

Would I go back? yes
Would I recommend? yes

Room Tip: ask for a high room that fronts the river.
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Location on Canal is excellent, French Quarter starts across street, buses and street cars right there, near casinos, aquarium, River, Convention center, CBD. Service and features show signs of bean-counting and have some challenges that can be fixed. Our check-in was quick and very gracious (but told given riverview, got city view which we actually preferred); next day line was across the lobby. One night staff in lobby bar was excellent, attentive, spot-on. The very next night, they had the third string in: took forever to get a drink when it wasn't crowded, never greeted customers, closed bar before midnight when they finally had a good sized crowd, as if they never wanted any customers. (If you need one, great dive bar around the corner on Gravier called "Chucks". Wouldn't want to call it dingy, let's go with "well earned character" but very safe, fun, great mix of crowd. Open 24 hours. Nearby alternative to hotel food: Palace Café - looks very touristy but much better than one would think - part of Brennan's - right across street.) Room: beds comfortable but only one luggage bench for a double-double, only two little creamers each day (no problem for us, just a sign of bean-counting). Showers were hot. Towels were decent for us but others had somewhat severe hassles. Likewise, others had plumbing floods twice and were made to wait for Housekeeping/Maintenance thus late to meeting. Charge for in-room Wi-Fi but free in lobby. Gym was spacious and lots of decent equipment but no bottled water w/out paying cash (no cards, no room charge). Who brings cash to the gym? Then, only conical cups for water bubbler? Really? Where does that fit on the treadmill? Didn't eat it but conference buffets were reported to be bad, overcooked eggs and dried out ham. Noise: fairly sure they forgot the insulation during redecorating. Not just doors slamming shut, could even hear neighbors using key cards to open doors. Street noise at 29th(?) floor. In sum, great for location and could be much better with a few simple tweaks (and a bit more regard for customer).

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Brittany D, Social Media Specialist at Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Hi mainmenuNyc,

We value you as our guest and appreciate such detailed feedback. We're so pleased to hear you enjoyed the location of our hotel and had a smooth check-in process. Thanks for visiting our Pelican Bar in the center of our lobby. We apologize for your experience on the second night of your stay and will use this as a coaching opportunity for our team. We're happy you enjoyed the comfort of our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper and though it's standard to put two creamers in our guestrooms, our housekeeping team is always happy to leave more at our guests' request. We understand the importance of continuing your workout even on the road and are so happy you were able to utilize Sheraton Fitness on your health journey! Again, thank you for your honesty and we hope to welcome you back the next time you're in the Big Easy!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We really enjoyed our stay at the Sheraton. I was here for a conference and my husband came with me. The room was very nice and comfortable. As well as the renovation is beautiful. I'm also a nursing mother that was traveling without her son and needed to pump. I can't believe how accommodating they were. It was only $10 for the stay for a refrigerator and they allowed us to have a late checkout until 4pm at no extra cost because I needed to pump again after check out and our flight wasn't until 7. I also really love their green program. We usually put up a don't disturb sign when we stay at a hotel so they don't waste replacing items. They actually have a green incentive program to get people to do the same and skip housekeeping for a $5 food credit. I can't say enough of how impressed I am with the hotel.

Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Hi Melissa N,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with us. I'm so happy we were able to accommodate your nursing needs and thank you for helping us in our sustainability efforts by taking advantage of our Make A Green Choice Program. We value you as our guest and hope to welcome you back with us the next time you're in the Big Easy!

Been to Sheraton New Orleans Hotel? Share your experiences!