“Elevator safety a concern” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton New Orleans Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton New Orleans Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton New Orleans Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #76 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
“Elevator safety a concern”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Let me begin with some positives. The lobby space was beautiful. The large screen television in the lobby bar area was perfect for watching all the college and NFL football games, Front desk was amazing. Housekeeping was great. I asked for more towels and hair conditioner and received them on a timely basis. When I came into the room, I noticed my complimentary water was already open and already some water was drunk out of it. It was replaced with two bottles. I had two incidents in the elevator. Once was with some very drunk young Green Bay fans who were just overly intoxicated. The other was when a man who had no shoes enter the elevator after pretending to call a floor, exit on my floor and attempt to get into a room at the end of the hall. Luckily, the housekeeping staff was there and she said that room is a check out once I alerted her that I did not think the man should be there. He got back on another elevator and no one knew where he went after that incident. The security was called but I don't know the outcome. They were very responsive, though. The elevators in this hotel are horrible. It is very dangerous to be on one of them since there is no "escape" route. Once you press your floor on the main bank of elevators, there are no buttons for floors on the internal elevator car. So, you are basically trapped in the elevator until you reach your floor. Especially in a city like New Orleans, where partying is rampant, it is very disconcerting to be in an elevator alone with two or three very drunk people, all carrying beers. If you are staying on a higher floor, you are basically "locked" into the elevator for the entire ride, without the ability to exit since floors are not accessed from within the elevator. I was thankful that housekeeping was available to see the man in the hall. Had I been alone on the floor, I was very concerned about my safety. I appreciated that you have a security person checking for cards after a specific hour in the evening. I still did not feel very safe. Although I love the heavenly beds and the comfortable room (the noise from the street was loud at times), I will never stay at that hotel again, nor any of your other properties with similar elevators.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the street. Canal Street does get rather noisy and rooms facing Harrah'...
Green Features: It is nice to have the environmentally friendly practices, though I had to call twice to confirm and go down to the front desk to receive my voucher.
Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Just returned from a trip to Nola and we stayed at the Sheraton New Orleans. Couldn't have asked for a better location on Canal Street. Everything was within walking distance and the street cars were nearby. Great view from our room out to the river and the bridge. Our room was very clean, however, it took housekeeping forever to get to our room. We needed to be ready for wedding activities in the afternoon for two of the days (about 3 or 4pm) and our room wasn't cleaned by then. For one day we asked the front desk to have it ready by 2:30, and I also confirmed this with a housekeeper. They totally skipped our room that day. A little inconvenient to say the least as it was my sister's wedding we needed to get to. The lobby restrooms are located on the 2nd floor. Each time I went to use them they were disgustingly dirty. Toilets not flushed. Didn't eat or drink at the hotel as there's just too much to offer outside of the hotel. The bar did look nice and there seemed to always be people enjoying it. As far as the elevator buttons, you choose your floor before you get inside. It was fun, but we waited a long time most of the time. Long lines at Starbucks. There's one on the corner just two blocks away which we ended up going to instead of hotel Starbucks. Very friendly staff. We would stay here again if we're in the area.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We relocated to Sheraton after a dismal evening at another local New Orleans hotel on a recent family trip. After experiencing a "historical" hotel that seemingly kept the original furniture and possibly the original dust, we wanted a name we could trust and quite frankly we trust Sheraton. Ultimately, a fantastic stay with clean, comfortable beds; a fantastic view of the city; and amazing location to local activities, specifically Canal and the Quarter. So fantastic that by the end of 1st day, I had gone "local."

The only downer on the trip and it was a big one was the we stayed on the 34th floor. During the evening some clowns on the 32nd treated the hotel to a fire alarm pull. Nothing stimulates the heart like hearing an electronic voice and alarm asking you to proceed to nearest exit and avoid the elevators. In the middle of the night, 34 floors = a lot of stairs. We made it down, were cleared and returned to our room only for the event to be repeated (same clowns). This time, my wife and I toyed with just "burning" but ultimately made the climb again with almost everyone else. I can only hope the hotel staff took steps to ensure those involved were henceforth unwelcome at Sheraton.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views but more stairs in event of fire (faux or real)
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Brittany D, Social Media Specialist at Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Hi Qayaq,

Thank you for trusting us with your night after an unfavorable experience at another hotel. We're so happy we could oblige. We apologize for the hike from the 34th floor stairwell, but appreciate you for taking the fire alarm seriously. We have vastly improved our alarm protocol since your February stay and hope to welcome you again very soon...itt's about time you head back to the Big Easy!
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Went there for a conference and the hotel was very clean, staff very very friendly. They were willing to go the extra mile for you and not expect anything. The concierge desk were very helpful as far a local attractions, restaurants, anything. They told me what to avoid and places to see. The Harrah's Casino is walking distance, Bourbon Street 2 blocks down, Royal street one block, Cafe Du Monde is a decent walk but with all the sites before you know it, you are there. The St Louis Cathedral was magnificent. There is just so much to see and do. The hotel is where you need to be. I suggest get a 3.00 cable car ticket for unlimited use all all day. I was recommended to eat at Drago's at the Hilton just right down the road behind the casino. OMG the food was excellent. If you go to New Orleans you don't need to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Honestly I couldn't help you there, but I was on the 45 th floor and got a fantastic view of Lak...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Brittany D, Social Media Specialist at Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Hi Ricardo H,

Sounds like you had quite an amazing stay! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback. You're right! There's so much to do and it's all within walking distance from our hotel. We're so happy you were able to enjoy the sights and sounds, and we hope to welcome you back the next time you're in the Big Easy!
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

i have just returned from a four night stay at the Sheraton in downtown New Orleans, LA. and really enjoyed our stay! The room had a great view of the river and downtown area, was very modern in look and amenities, and everything worked!

I had never seen this type of elevator, where you push the floor you want to go to and the elevator panel tells you what elevator to get on (there are five in a set) and you don't push the floor button, - it already knows where it is going!!!! Wild! Sort of like the elevators in Star Trek!

I do have to mention that we thought there could be improvement in the Housekeeping area. They were inconsistent as to when they showed up but did a good job cleaning and changing linen and towels - or you could get a $5 credit for hotel stores if you did not ask for your linen to be changed. Starbucks (in house) here I come!

Overall, a great stay in a great city!

Room Tip: We made the mistake of not asking where the room was located, and it turned out, it was right off th...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Brittany D, Social Media Specialist at Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Hi Ports707,

We're so happy you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton New Orleans Hotel! Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. While we are happy to please you with our views, Schindler elevator system, and Make A Green Choice program, we thank you for recognizing our areas of need. We are in the process of re-training our Housekeeping team in hopes that we can remain consistent with the Sheraton and Starwood brands. Again, thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you on your next trip to the Crescent City!
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Very nice hotel. The room and the overall service was nice. After overcoming the initial scare by one of the reception clerks who checked us in; it was a pleasant experience thereafter. The clerk had attempted to give my wife and I a room with double bed instead of the king bed I had booked months earlier.. After we protested vigorously she offered to give us a room with a king bed but situated near the elevator. At that time, I was prepared to look for alternatives though I booked as part of a national toxicology group. She then changed her mind and gave us the room I had earlier booked for.

• Stayed October 2014
Dear onisegun,

While we appreciate you for being so complimentary of our hotel and your stay with us, we do apologize for your check-in experience. The Director of Front Office has been notified and will use this as a coaching opportunity with the team. Again, thank you for your generous feedback and we invite you back with us the next time you're in the Crescent City!
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel is just outside the French Quarter and is therefore within easy walking distances to amazing restaurants. You could also pick up the two different trollies within a block. I had an event at the Convention Center and it was only a 15 min easy and safe walk. The downside is the noise outside at night. Try to get a room on a higher floor or simply put on a white noise app on your phone (remember your power cord). The rooms are very nice and the view of the river is great. They also have a green program where they give you $5 a day to spend in the hotel (e.g. Starbucks) if staying for three days without your room and towels being cleaned. Interesting program. There was quite a line upon check-in (lots of conference goers), but it moved quickly and efficiently.

Room Tip: high floor with view of river
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Brittany D, Social Media Specialist at Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hi ChurchHillVA,

We're so pleased to receive such a positive review from your October stay with us. We value your feedback and thank you for taking the time to do so! We welcome you back the next time you're in the Big Easy whether for business or leisure. We hope to see you again soon!

Been to Sheraton New Orleans Hotel? Share your experiences!