“Small Rooms” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton New Orleans Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton New Orleans Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton New Orleans Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #69 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Rochester, New York
“Small Rooms”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Aside from its location on Canal St., this hotel lacked anything spectacular and memorable. The rooms are cramped and with no room to turn around in. The "Green Choice" housekeeping service is a joke - I know it's a Sheraton-wide initiative and not exclusive to this particular hotel. "Green Choice" is a profit grabbing practice, and provides NO benefit to the guest beyond the $5 service credit.
The pool was adequate, but shallow (4 ft depth).
The mattress felt like Mama Bear's. The pillows lacked any firm comfort. There are plenty other comparable area hotels to consider, which are more deserving of your hard earned dollars.

Green Features: They suck! Not only do they suck, I would have to strongly think about using a Starwood hotel in the future. I despise companies which grab profits in the name of "environmentally friendly practices".
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

The service from the employees at this hotel is horrible. In particular the housekeeping manager & bellman.

We checked into the hotel on Thursday afternoon. When we got to our room we found blood on the bed skirt... I called the front desk right away. They said that they would send someone to change it immediately. We went out to meet friends since it was our first night in town. We returned 5 hours later only to find NOTHING done. Irritated I called down again to the front desk. They sent up the housekeeping manager who was the rudest individual... She storms in, looks at it and says we are going to have to move rooms & walks away. When the bellman brought up our keys he didn't even ask if we needed help with our bags... Isn't that his job??

On Saturday night we ordered a hamburger from room service. Was told 30 min & over an hour and 10 min later I had to once again call and figure out what happened... It seems that they just don't follow through or the hotel has bad communication between departments.

I typically hate complaining but this one took the cake for by far the worst hotel service I have experienced.

• Stayed September 2014
Newcastle Upon Tyne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed here for two nights as part of a tour group .

Check was promptly handled.

We had a room on the fifteenth floor. In common with other US hotel rooms of this type and class it was large and equipped with two small double beds. Power points were plentiful but not easy to find. The beds were comfortable.

Coffee making facilities were provided. Wifi was available in the foyer but was charged for in the hotel rooms unlike other Sheraton hotels we have stayed in. The provision of a fridge would have been welcome.

The bathroom was modern and well appointed with the usual toiletries and a hair dryer. The shower was effective and adjustable though a detacheable shower head would be welcome.

So far so good but service standards were poor. The wait time for breakfast at the Starbucks outlet was unacceptably long, our room was not serviced until very late afternoon and only after we had raised the matter with reception. I was not impressed to find a used bar of soap in our bathroom on arrival. The amount of milk left in our room was insufficient. Querying this with reception I was told that housekeeping would come up with more in 15 minutes. I passed on this as they might expect a tip and I didn't want to get into that kind of wrangle. Maybe that's also why I didn't bother to mention the rattle in the air conditioning system. Why not leave a supply of such as milks and coffees at reception or better still get this right first time? Small matters of course but easy to get right.

These matters together with the wifi charge make me think that this hotel is average overall.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Fair Oaks, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Close enough to everything but not too close. Higher floors offer great views of the Mississippi River. Ample exercise room. Pool is a little small particularly for swimming laps.
We went after Mardi Gras and before college graduations. Good weather, smaller than average crowds

Room Tip: Elevators work well so a higher room is good for views
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Brittany D, Social Media Specialist at Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Hi JimPFairOaksCA,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Sheraton New Orleans experience. We are so pleased that you enjoyed the convenience of our location and we invite you back for Mardi Gras in February 2015! We hope to welcome you again!
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The hotel is very nice. The lobby area was very well appointed and the bar and restaurant was nice. The gym area was very nice and pretty big for a hotel. The check in process was very slow. The lady was just very thourough and explained the ins and outs of the hotels, and that was actually pretty nice. HOWEVER, she told me at check in all about the "green" hotel and i told her ok I could go 2 days with no maid and she said then I would get a $5 credit to use in the hotel each day and the maid wouldnt come, but if I needed any towels or anything at all to contact them. Cut to 8am the next day when the maid was pounding on the door to clean the room. I explained what the lady had told me and she appologized and gave me towels. Then, the very next day she was poudning on my door again after I had told her the day before I didnt need her and she said she would mark that down. I dont get why they wasted the time at check in to go over the process when they not only never gave me my $5 a day coupon NOR stopped the maid from waking me up each day.
The beds were amazing! the pillows were soft and great. My view was really good looking at the quarter and down Canal. The staff was all very friendly. Also, I liked that they checked room keys after 10pm. Its a nice safety precaution. Great location too!! over all i loved the hotel except for the fact I never got my discount for going green like they said I would. But, i highly recommend the hotel!

Green Features: it didnt work. i signed up to have the maid skip our room for 2 days but she still came and I sent her away but I didnnt get the discounts for doing so
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Brittany D, Social Media Specialist at Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Hi M D,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your Sheraton New Orleans Hotel experience. We're overjoyed that you liked our hotel overall and loved our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper and Sheraton Fitness! Please allow me to apologize for the lack of communication and follow up on our part regarding our Make A Green Choice Program. We invite you back with us so we can make up for your experience this past September. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!
Celebration
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This hotel is in a great location for business purposes. We did not have a car but did not need one. We ended up walking everywhere - to the quarter, Frenchman street, taking the street cars to the garden district/Loyola/Tulane/Audubon, etc.

Pros: Audrey in housekeeping was simply amazing, I really wanted to bring her home as my best friend. The front desk process was quick and efficient - we arrived prior to noon but were able to go directly to our room. The beds - true to all the Sheratons I've been to - are extremely comfy with white linens that are double-sheeted and without a nasty comforter or duvet. The elevator system is quite innovative and worth mentioning as it is very efficient and cuts down on unnecessary lost / drunk people.

Cons: I would have preferred a true hotel concierge, but the Grey Line desk did have some friendly staff that helped us fill our stay with interesting things to do. The room we were assigned was directly adjacent to the elevator which proved to be a bit noisy. The conference room layout was a little confusing. Be sure to plan out where your rooms are prior to walking around looking for them!

Room Tip: Request away from the elevators on an upper floor.
Green Features: The green choice program is great if you are not traveling with kids. Helps earn bonus points faster.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Dunwoody, Georgia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

This hotel is very convenient to the French Quarter. My wife and I took a taxi from the airport to the hotel, which is much cheaper than parking a car there. Avoid renting and parking there. You can walk around easily.

Check in was fairly quick even though there were a lot of people there. The elevators are unique in that you type in the floor you want to go to on the keypad outside the elevator and the display tells you which elevator to get on. That way, there is no need to hit buttons for your floor when you get on. In the evening there is some security to get to the elevators so that only guests can get to them.

The hotel has a nice bar and restaurant if you don't feel like venturing over to the French Quarter. My wife and I felt safe walking around the area of the hotel.

Internet speed is good but it is an extra charge.

My only complaint is the loud noise from the room doors when they close. Since this is New Orleans there are people leaving and arriving at all hours of the night. If you are trying to sleep on the weekend, good luck. You'll be jarred awake from a slamming door several times during the night. The problem is that the doors automatically close and they slam and latch very hard. I tried to close our door quietly but when the latch engages it is very loud and reverberates down the hall. It's hard to be quiet even when you're trying to be!

I would say this is a good hotel to consider during the week when there may be less party people and more business travelers.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton New Orleans Hotel? Share your experiences!