“Why don't they fix their telephone answering service.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton New Orleans Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton New Orleans Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton New Orleans Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #68 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
“Why don't they fix their telephone answering service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This is the second time I have stayed at the Sheraton New Orleans for the Essence Festival. I reported the problem last year and being on the Club floor.
When you call you are put on hold for 10 minutes plus. This is even if you want housekeeping or bellmen. What made it worse I was at the Super Dome ticket office and needed to make contact with my daughter, but could not get through to our room. The result was I had to come back to the hotel and return to the ticket office. This was very frustrating, but also having to pay the extra taxi fare.
The club floor lounge staff was so so. Not as friendly as the year before.
Excellent location.

Room Tip: Use club floor suite. It's great if the phone problem is resolved

575 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I visited this hotel several months ago and said I would never go back. I gave it another chance...here is what happened.

1) Check in was great...for the SPG Gold Members, everyone else had to wait forever.
2) The room was good.
3) After the first day, the power in the hallways stopped and the elevators became inoperative. This continued to a varying degree for the rest of our stay. We walked up and down 42 flights of stairs no less than 10 times. For most of the time, the hotel offered a single elevator that could be summoned by text or phone call. The problem was that nobody EVER answered. Guest services stopped answering the phone all together. Unless you walked, you were stuck. There were several periods where none of the elevators worked at all.
4) For a period of 8 hours the power was totally out. No AC, lights etc. The hotel blamed the city.
5) We were on the club floor. Because the power was out, the lounge was shut down. The staff did not think about the dairy that subsequently soured and leaked onto the floor. The entire floor eventually smelled like death. I tried to call guest services with no answer..and finally told a staff member, who promptly did NOTHING. She did not take the 5 minutes to clean up rotting milk. I guess it wasn't her job as a member of housekeeping staff.
6) We were there for 4 days and our room was cleaned ONE time. This despite the fact that I called at least 5 times and told the staff on the floor. We would leave and come back..to find that nothing was ever done.
7) When I spoke with guest services about our experience several times, they offered no apology, no accommodation, no offer to change hotels, move etc. The kept saying it will be fixed in a few minutes or hours. I'm not sure if they were being deceptive or really did not know. Because, were were always told it was almost fixed, we stayed at the hotel for days of torture. I felt like we were stuck on a cruise ship. The lack of compassion was exactly like the first experience with their staff. Based on two different visits months apart..it seems this is the culture of the entire hotel.

In the end, they offered one night refund. This visit was so terrible it should have been totally free PLUS SPG points compensation.

Ohhh wait. I forgot about the pool. To get out of sweltering room one day, we went down to the pool to find that it was inundated with about 60 college aged guys. All were drinking in the pool and throwing their empties to the side. Of course, because the staff is what is it, they let this occur and failed to clean up the mess. There were literally hundreds of empty beer cans in and around the pool. Also the male bathroom on the pool floor was closed AND the guys were not getting out of the pool. You can imagine where they were peeing. This went on for two days. After the first day, you could no longer see the normally crisp appearing "S" in the bottom of the pool from our room. The hotel kept the pool open despite it being an obvious health hazard.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Madison, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I was in New Orleans for a week, most of it spent at the Sheraton for a business/social meeting with plenty of free time for sightseeing and socializing. First off, despite a Schuetz glitch initially with the reservations, somewhat due to the group that booked the hotel for us, it was very difficult for me to get into my room. This is not normally the way they handle things, and "regular "guests had particular problems.

The Front desk staff is very accommodating and very professional. The standard rooms are adequate, not huge but quite comfy, and the TV and amenities were fine. It was very clean, except for the straw I found under the desk.

The hotel food, however, is way overpriced and simply not up to snuff. Our banquet food – pricey – wasn't worth it. They hotel really let us down with regard to food during one of our luncheons. The quality simply was not there.

Despite the abysmal food, we had a wonderful time – mostly due to the planning committee of the group that I was with.

The hotel is quite clean, but maid service was exceedingly slow one day. I had left my room at 7:30 in the morning got back around 11, it was not made up. I was in and out at varying points during the day, and the room still wasn't made up! I got back around 5 o'clock, to dress for a banquet, wondering if my room were going to be made up. It seems as though one of the people to clean rooms on my floor did not show up that day and all of the work fell on one person. And yes, she notified the hotel staff at least twice on my behalf, and I also complained to the front desk about it

The good news about the hotel is that it's right next to the French Quarter, and a short walk away from Mom's, Luke, Redfish Grill and other wonderful restaurants.

Stayed June 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The check in process was easy. The front desk staff was very friendly and accommodating. In my hotels.com order, I requested the deluxe room. When I checked in, I requested a room with two double beds and we stayed in room 2408 which is a handicapped room. I was told of all the caveats of being in a handicapped room (lower sink, lower toilet, etc). However, this room was tiny. I am not sure how a wheelchair would be expected to maneuver through what little space was not taken up by the furniture. For $429 per night, this was a box of a room and a rip off.

The hotel, however, is in a great location with easy access to the Superdome (about a 20 min walk), French Quarter, Riverwalk and Convention Center.

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We could see the fireworks from the lobby. Hotel is in the middle of everything. A short walk to the French Quarter, and the Convention Center. The lobby bar is a great place to met up with friend. Check in was easy, better elevator system ever, nice place to stay

• Stayed July 2014
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The hotel had recently completed a 44 million dollar improvement in the fall of 2013. The property was clean, the rooms reconditioned and we were very happy with the property. Its location is just accross from the french quarter. We would stay there again for the right price.

Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

From the front desk agents, to the bellmen and housekeeping, everyone was overly accommodating and nice. Our room was impeccable. Near everything but not too close so you're away from the noise and partying.

Room Tip: The higher the better!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton New Orleans Hotel? Share your experiences!