“Stay Somewhere Else” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton New Orleans Hotel

You added Sheraton New Orleans Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton New Orleans Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #78 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Lubbock, Texas
“Stay Somewhere Else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I traveled here for a conference. While the location of the hotel is great, the location does not make up for the overall lack of service and the dismal condition of the rooms. We stayed here for about a week. The stay was so awful we ended up changing hotels during our stay. Upon arrival, the check-in line was incredibly long. I don't mind waiting 10 or 15 minutes to check in but over 30 minutes seems excessive. We ended up getting a room with a great view of the air conditioners on the nearby rooftop. The room was also next to the elevators, which meant constant noise. I've stayed near elevators at other hotels and have never had a real sound problem before, but the elevators at this hotel are ungodly loud when you are trying to sleep. During our stay we had to request maintenance twice to come to our room because the tub would not drain. After two trips from maintenance and still with a tub that wouldn't drain, we just gave up and quit asking. Housekeeping did not come on at least one day of our stay. We had to call to get them to come clean the room, and when they did, their cleaning consisted of making the beds. No refreshing of toiletries, etc. They were very helpful though since they left a bottle of cleaner on the back of the toilet. I guess that was just in case we wanted to do the job ourselves... During the conference, we tried to catch a quick lunch at Roux Bistro. That was a colossal mistake. We were seated quickly, but then waited 15 minutes to receive a menu to place our order. Then once the order was placed, we waited another 45 minutes for the food to arrive. We didn't order anything complicated (just sandwiches). I had to go to the front desk of the bistro and ask if our food had gone to never, never land. The lady went to the back to check, but then never followed up with us to let us know whether the food was on its way or not. As we were about to leave, the food arrived. It was okay, but given the price ($18.00 per person) and the wait, I'll never return. There was no excuse for this lack of service. The hotel had multiple conferences going on during our stay. They should have been better prepared. The last night of our stay, a fraternity was placed on our floor. The noise and constant bang of the door to the ice machine resulted in us calling the front desk. They sent security up. As soon as security left, the noise level resumed. We had people knocking on our doors looking for other frat members, and when we opened the door at one point, to find a naked gentleman in the hallway, we decided that we had had enough. By then, a manager on duty was on the floor. We asked what they planned to do about the noise level. Keep in mind this wasn't during Mardi Gras. The manager on duty said that they tried to book the frat to the 9th and 10th floors and thought that they had moved all of the other guests. She offered to move us to another room. We took her up on the offer and appreciated being able to move to a different room. We did find her very understanding and pleasant. Although, it was frustrating to have to pack up everything and then lug it to another room and unpack everything. We just found the general attitude of the personnel throughout the hotel to be less than friendly. Even the concierge wasn't helpful when we asked for recommendations in the area. We ordered room service one night. It took over 1.5 hours for the food to arrive. We had to call to find out when the food might arrive, and once it did, one of the dishes was completely inedible. Bottom line: Stay somewhere else. There are quite a few hotels in this area. It's not worth putting up with the lack of service. There is a Marriott across the street. I'll never recommend this hotel to someone. As an aside, when we checked out we were asked about our stay. We explained that it had been less than enjoyable. Other than a, "I'm sorry about that," from the front desk, no other attempts were made at service recovery.

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the elevators or the ice machine. Try a higher floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Josh C, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you for the feedback regarding your experience. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the overall less than acceptable stay with us. I completely understand the concerns you have and would be happy to speak with you regarding them. Please feel free to reach out to me.

504-595-6223

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Leesburg, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

My wife and I stayed there for two nights for Mardi Gras. The arrival was awful, they blocked the car entrance which made for a huge hassle just to get in the hotel. Check in 1 hour! Then they sent us too a room that was not even clean. The maid showed up and said she would have it done in a couple of hours. We went to the lounge on 42 which we paid for, nope, can't get in…..too many people. We ordered room service at midnight, arrived at 3 AM! Why go on…..go somewhere else!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the feedback regarding your experience. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the multiple service failures during your time with us. I completely understand the concerns you have and would be happy to speak with you regarding them. Please feel free to reach out to me.

Statesboro, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Stayed here a little over a year ago. Excellent location! We were within walking distance to Bourbon street and Harrahs. Absolutely loved it. We were on the 20-something floor, My memory escapes me but the view WAS magnificent. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
We are so pleased you feel at home with us at the Sheraton NOLA. It is certainly our goal for all of our guests. Thank you for such kind words and compliments of our team. We look forward to your next visit with us for a repeat performance.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Location is good, but the same could be said for all downtown hotels. Nice room, Starbucks in room and in the lobby were the perks of staying here, even though the in-room coffee wasn't replaced and, when replaced, was replaced w/ decaf. Starbucks a few blocks up the street also did the trick. Bar is overpriced- unless you're dying for a beer or $ isn't an issue, take a walk to a nearby pub and save the cash ($9 for an Amstel bottle). Well-maintained on the inside.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
We greatly appreciate the time taken to connect with us regarding your experience. Please accept our apologies for the pricing concerns, which are completely understood. We would love the opportunity to have you back with us in the future if you so choose. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Have a blessed day.
Hawthorne, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I want to commend Caroline Fierke and Kim (front desk clerk) for displaying exceptional hospitality during our visit. Those two young ladies provided us with service, that was extraordinary. My cousin and I were there with our spouses and we had a great time. I would definitely recommend this hotel to my family and friends!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
We are so pleased you feel at home with us at the Sheraton NOLA. It is certainly our goal for all of our guests. Thank you for such kind words and compliments of our team, specifically Kim and Caroline. We are honored to have these wonderful two young ladies as part of the Sheraton New Orleans Family and look forward to your next visit with us for a repeat performance.
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed the first week of March. We arrived on Mardi Gras and spent the first 2 nights at the Hilton Riverside before spending our last 3 nights at the Sheraton. We wish we would have spent the whole time at the Hilton. The rooms were small and dark, but one of the most problematic things was the paper thin door. We could hear everything going on in the hallway and rooms next door (which had a crying baby the entire time) that we might as well have slept in the hall way. There was one night we barely slept because of party-goers down the hallway. At the Hilton we could not hear any noise outside the room due to an adequate door. You also had to pay extra for a fridge, something that was free with the Hilton. We also requested a King bed but ended up with 2 doubles resulting in my partner and I having to sleep in separate beds. But maybe the most outrageous thing was the fee for LOCAL calling. Before going out to dinner we would call restaurants to check on the wait times assuming that local calls were free since at every hotel I have ever stayed at (including the Hilton down the street) has free local calling. But not the Sheraton, it cost us $1.50 every time we made a 1-2 minute phone call. We paid more than double the cost to stay at the Sheraton than we paid at the Hilton and were thoroughly disappointed. It was definitely not worth the extra money and you get way more staying at another hotel for half the cost.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for the feedback regarding your experience. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the multiple service failures. I completely understand the concerns you have and would be happy to speak with you regarding them. Please feel free to reach out to me.

Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

This is my first online review of a hotel, as I've never felt so strongly in one way about a hotel in my life. I stayed here for the first 3 days of Mardi Gras, and the 4 subsequent days.

First, any prospective guest should know that there is literally no ventilation in the rooms. There are no opening windows, and there is no fan in the bathroom. As a result, after your first shower, your room will be thick with humidity for the rest of your stay. If you happen to be staying with more than one person, this effect will be amplified. Further, regardless of the external temperature (I was here when it was 35 degrees to 65 degrees outside), the air conditioners in the rooms (i.e., in all of five rooms that I was in throughout a conference that was held in this hotel) do little to nothing to cool the rooms; and so with 3 or more people in a room, it is too hot to sleep.

Room service for any quantity of food takes 40 mins to an hour to arrive (and I once waited for 40 mins for $10.00 change, when I paid in cash).

During Mardi Gras, there is no turn-down service; and during regular times, you have to indicate to staff that you would like your room cleaned.

As I said, I have never complained about anything online before (and I don't often stay in hotels), but I was so surprised at the quality of my stay here that I really wanted to say something. I was at the Hilton Garden Inn (about 10 blocks away) for 3 days before arriving at the Sheraton, and had a much better stay for much better money.

Hope this helps

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

504-595-6223

Been to Sheraton New Orleans Hotel? Share your experiences!