“Great Value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #71 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
San Antonio, Texas
“Great Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

This is a great value hotel and the staff was very friendly and helpful. We stayed in the most basic room they had to offer and we were pleasently suprised. For $50 a night, you can't go wrong! They even gave us a bottle of champagne to celebrate our one year anniversary.

My husband and I are very low maintenance and came to New Orleans to go out and sightsee, not hole up in a hotel. This is my second stay and we'll definitely be back when we return to New Orleans next year.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

The hotel staff is fantastic and will gladly help you with any info needed.When we arrived we did not know that the Saints and Vikings had a game that night,Bourbon street that day and night was a nightmare(not my kinda fun),but glad i had the experience and Mardi Gras is finally something i can write off.The Garden district is the place to stay,we walked to Bourbon street because power was lost and the street cars could not run,took us 30 mins.I will definitely stay at this hotel in the future.

Tupelo, MS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

We've stayed here three times in the past five months - for a total of nine days - and loved every minute. We loved the rooms - 133 - 134 and 135 (all have been great). The entire staff on each visit has been wonderful and helpful in all matters. In 12 previous trips to the Big Easy since Katrina, we stayed at hotels in the French Quarter. We like this Garden District location a lot more and will continue to book our visits to N.O. at this jewel.
We love New Orleans and we love the Prytania Park! We recommended this hotel to a friend and his wife .... They love it, too.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Jackson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

A warm, friendly place to stay, just like New Orleans itself. Not one of those boring clinical cookie cutter chain hotels.
The receptionist (Dori?) was soooo helpful with her local knowledge, information and maps.
We had a room with the loft and spiral staircase. Our bathroom was quite small but clean. The beds were spotless as were the towels.
This hotel is so convenient with the streetcar just half a block away (just $1.25 to Bourbon St).
Plenty of free parking and fast free wifi.

Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

If what you need in your New Orleans lodging is a safe, reasonably priced room and a very comfortable bed that feels like home, then stay at Prytania Park Hotel. My adult son and I shared a loft for two nights and we slept like babies.

The property is charming, with gorgeous polished wooden doors and windows; it is very quiet. Blackout shades, hung discreetly behind beautiful lace curtains, allowed us to sleep well past 8 a.m. Unlike many hotels, if you request that housekeeping let you sleep, they do. The property's hosts are always gracious; the parking lot (free) is adjacent to the hotel and brightly lit.

Prytania Park Hotel is just steps away from St. Charles Avenue and the St. Charles streetcars stop nearby every 15 minutes or so. Plenty of cafes are nearby and the Quarter is only minutes away.

Staying here costs no more than staying at a chain on the edge of town, but this is no economy hotel experience. Try it. You will be so glad you did!

• Stayed August 2010
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

Based on my experience with this hotel, I would never recommend this place to a friend. Let's start at the beginning.

I made reservations online through Expedia the day before I planned to arrive in New Orleans. Later that same day my car unexpectedly broke down. I called the hotel to explain I was stuck in Texas and the woman I spoke too was probably the worst customer service person I've ever spoken too. She refused to cancel the reservation, even though I explained I just made the reservation a few hours earlier that day. I was pretty shocked by how rude she was.

After about 30 minutes, I called back and explained I was still planning to come through town and didn't need to cancel it outright, just move it back a night. After a lot of huffing, she reluctantly agreed. The whole experience was horrible, so I hoped that was the end of it.

When I arrived the next day, I checked in and got into my room on the first floor. After opening the door I was hit with the overwhelming smell of urine. I've stayed in pretty dumpy places and this one didn't look that bad - just a regular, budget room. But even in the dumpiest places, I've never had a room smell like that.

After my horrible experience with customer service on the phone, I really didn't want to have to experience another one like it. So I felt like I was left with only one option: sucking it up and sleeping in this room. I turned on all the fans to try to air it out and only stayed in the room to sleep, trying not to think about it.

Free hotel breakfasts are usually simple so I wasn't expecting much, but the continental breakfast was a disappointment as well. The mini croissants were stale and I ended up throwing them out because they were so tough.

After an on-going series of rough incidents, I kept trying to keep an open-mind that maybe things would turn around. No hotel room should ever smell like urine and no customer service person should ever treat a customer like I was treated. It was amazingly awful.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Hotels3, Manager at Prytania Park, responded to this review, August 19, 2010
I am going to make this brief. As she stated, she booked through a 3rd party, Expedia. We legally can not change their booking. We explained this to her . We told her to call Expedia and have them change it. and that although she is inside the 48 hour change/cancel period, we would honor the change given the circumstances and it was only going to be a 1 night change order. Not a big problem, but we needed Expedia's permission to do so. Its their booking, not ours directly. She refused to do that as she was in an emotional state as it was with her car breaking down.

There was nothing more we could do for her if she was not willing to help herself change it through the booking agent on record.

Urine smell? Funny, she never brought that to our attention, nor do I think its accurate. It is possible she got a wiff of something, such rain soaked courtyard wooden furniture and landscaping. When she was here, all it did was pour down rain.

As far as breakfast, continental breakfast is what it is, a very basic "get me going" breakfast.. Stale croissants? Not likely, as they go too fast to get stale. Most guests heat them up in the Toaster Oven in the lobby to soften them up a bit.

End of story. Thank you.
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

We stayed for about 5 days 4 nights. My party arrived two hours before check-in, but they still let us in. I might as well warn any broke college kid like myself, if you're on a limited budget, there is a 13% tax rate on hotels rooms in LA. Not the hotel's fault, but definitely keep that in mind. I'm from Florida, and nothing touristy is taxed that high, but I digress..

The room itself was gorgeous, affordable, clean. Very european feel. The bathroom was very narrow; the door hit the toilet every time it was opened. No elevator, but clean sheets, a fridge and microwave. Wi-Fi signal was strong..
The first night we stayed, we were woken up at 5 am by screaming drunk people (it is new orleans.) I might suggest the hotel hire a security guard to handle the drunkards, but honestly that was the only problem with noise.
Some of the staff was reluctant to help, but the two women owners were amazing. I was afraid we were going to be charged when our black out curtain came undone, but the cute blonde girl in the front was very understanding, and it was fixed promptly. The hotel staff seemed to treat the maids poorly; it seemed that the maids were constantly being fussed at.

The garden district that the hotel is in is beautiful. The hotel itself is on a streetcar stop and only about 10 dollars cab ride from the French Quarter. There is an amazing barbeque place right across the street too. Just sayin'

All and All a pretty nice trip. The few and tiny problems we encountered didn't lessen the trip. Affordable. Very pretty. Would recommend to anyone and definitely stay again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Prytania Park? Share your experiences!