“If you know a thing about New Orleans, you'll know this is a good hotel.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Prytania Park

Save Saved
You added Prytania Park to your Saves list
Prytania Park
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1525 Prytania Street, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Ranked #68 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Monroe, Louisiana
“If you know a thing about New Orleans, you'll know this is a good hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

I'm responding basically to a guest who wrote a scathing review of Prytania. He complained that his stay was interrupted by noise from a Australian tour group and was unpleasantly surprised by the tax that was added onto his bill unexpectedly. He also stated that his requests and complaints were ignored.
I have no personal investment or affiliation with the Prytania, but I am annoyed with such reviews and how they could potentially damage the future of a good business that provides a valuable service--especially to folks like myself who have to travel on a budget. I stayed at the Prytania with my family a couple days after this reviewer (he was there, I believe, until July 10, and we where there July 12th). Having stayed at many hotels in New Orleans--from swank to dank--I'd like to encourage potential customers of the Prytania to disregard negative reviews that include complaints such as "too noisy" or "was charged fees I didn't know about."
Of course it's noisy. It's New Orleans, and it's a party city. If you don't want to risk a noisy hotel, pay a couple three hundred dollars (minimum) to get more preferential service. What did this reviewer expect? As the manager pointed out, he booked during a festival. The same tour group was at the hotel during my stay, and their noise bugged me too. But so what? That's the risk you run in New Orleans, no matter where you book--especially budget courtyard hotels. It's a community, and that's both the charm and the curse. But lighten up, friend--have a drink and relax. Or get some earplugs. The group was noisy, but they weren't setting off explosives. They were doing what tour groups do in New Orleans: they were having a good time. It's not the hotel's fault--if hotels stopped people from having a good time, they'd go out of business. That's the city's entire industry.
Furthermore, anybody who isn't aware of the "hidden" charges--which aren't hidden, you simply have to read the fine print when you book--simply hasn't booked in New Orleans. He stayed there a week, and had plenty of time to ask about the details of his charges--did he think his bill came tax free? It's New Orleans. You ALWAYS ask about the charges.
Finally, a comment about the service. If one is thin-skinned or deeply offended by surly desk personnel, one best never set foot inside the Crescent City. And the fellow that worked the desk in the evening was surly to be sure. However, the manager herself couldn't have been more helpful--not only did she help me get a room when she realized the room I'd booked wouldn't support three people (NOLA fire code), but she also recently wrote me an email concerning a lost item--a remote control my son apparently picked up and left in our room. She not only notified me, but is shipping the remote back to Monroe (my home) gratis.
Bottom line is that the Prytania has the same problems any budget hotel has. You aren't getting any mints on your pillow. But you are getting a fairly safe, VERY cost-efficient stay close to the St. Charles street car (don't call it a trolley). And speaking strictly for myself, I found the service quite a cut ABOVE the usual budget hotel. I'd like to remind that reviewer too that he saved about 210 dollars in parking (which is free at the Prytania, unlike many others).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

484 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Norman, Okla.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

This place is unassuming from the street but the rooms are within a walled space in a courtyard area. Reasonably quiet (an upstairs room would be best to avoid the creaky floors from below). Reasonably priced in a pretty and safe part of New Orleans. Just one block from the streetcar stop and you can ride east to Canal Street and the French Quarter or west further into the Garden District. The WWII museum is a few blocks to the east. Free parking in the hotel's own lot. Wi-Fi works well and there's a small continental breakfast. For those looking for more personality than a chain hotel, this is a good bet.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

I have never made a negative comment about a hotel until now. The Prytania Park Hotel in New Orleans is the worst I have ever seen.

I checked into the Prytania Park Hotel in New Orleans on June 30, 2010 for business.
The hotel looked okay, nothing real great. During several evenings at approximately 3:00 A.M. I heard alot of laughing, talking, and running around the open courtyard. The noise lasted for hours. I made several complaints, but nothing was done about it.
Two nights came from people that returned from a festival and one night came from a tour from Austrailia. I was told that they have regular tours checking in at this hotel. So I lost 3 nights of sleep.

The other issue was the bill ----- When the hotel e-mailed me the bill the total was $693.00 for 7 nights. The bill stated the word total next to $693.00. That would be the amount I would have to pay. On July 6,2010, the owner stated that tax was not included in the total and I owed another $97.00 for taxes. I was floored by this.

If you want a hotel where you can get a good night sleep - DO NOT STAY AT THE PRYTANIA. Oh by the way, no apology was ever given to me by the owner. Her excuse for the noise was that the noise cannot be helped, because there is an open coutyard in the middle of the hotel.

I would rather stay in the Bates Hotel ran by Norman Bates.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Hotels3, Owner at Prytania Park, responded to this review, July 11, 2010
The simple fact: We are a courtyard hotel, and when one rents a room in this style hotel, one must expect a certain amount of noise. But when you rent over a "Holiday Weekend, and a Special Event " such as Essence Fest, one must expect the noise level to increase.

It was no where near the level of what he claims, as he was the only one who had a problem with the late night noise. We had a sold out house (62 rooms), and about 1/4 of those were not apart of the Special Event of Essence Fest, but of the Educators Convention.

1. This guest stated he read many sites about New Orleans to learn about our city and the hotels before deciding on our property. It hard to believe he did not read about the Essence Festival, as it was published on most New Orleans web sites, and in most publications. The concerts that were the nights of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. He was not aware the concerts end anywhere from 2-3 am, with the festival goers returning about 2-4 am.

We try our best to keep the noise down, but it is hard over this weekend. . Knowing this, when I assigned the Non Festival guests their rooms, we picked the far corridor in the house to place these guests so they would not be in the thick of things, where the noise typically echos.

This guest was tucked away up in a corner room in its own corridor, away from the metal stairs, away from the wooden deck balconies, away from the lobby and parking lot., away from the coke machine and ice machine.

Not only did our Night Auditor address his complaints as he called them in , and in a timely manner, our security officer was on foot patrol a great deal to ensure the noise was kept down to a minimum. Unfortunately, this did not satisfy the guest.

We all apologized profusely, including myselt, (as seen in our lobby on our Security cameras), but that did not pacifiy him either. I would have moved him, but we were sold out and no where to move him. Not that would have matter, it was a Festive weekend and all were having a "good time".

The festival goers left us, and we then had a large tour group from Austrailia check in on his last night with us. They had over 45 rooms, and as young adults, 18-35, they tend to be a bit noisy.

The tour manager sat outside in our courtyard very late at night for a long while to control the noise as I had explained to her about this guest. We tried everything to keep it quite, but it is what it is, a courtyard hotel.

2. the discussion of payment is private, but I will state, he was not charge a penny over what he was legally due to pay. He booked from our web site, which it clearly shows that the "QUOTED RATES DO NOT INCLUDE SALES TAX AND FEES" on the 1st page after you choose your room type. This is right about where you put in your name and address to start your booking profile.

He got his confirmation letter and the facts show as he had in his hand when he approached the Front Desk to settle his bill. The confirmation shows the total of the "ROOM RATE" would be and it was just that. $693. It also clearly shows on his confirmation, that the rates DO NOT INCLUDE SALES TAXES AND FEES.

He said he did not read this and does not agree with it as that is not how he reads it. He said the line that STATES THE ROOM RATE, "TOTAL CHARGE" does include all taxes etc. I told him it does not, that is only the Total Charge for his ROOM RATE.

I pointed out where it states Room rate does not include Sales Tax etc. He said he never saw that, even tho its clearly printed out on the Confirmation he carried with him.

He did not understand that hotels when quoting rates do not include Taxes and Fees simply because every state has a different tax structure and fee structure. Ours happens to be 13% plus $1/day Occupancy Tax. He did not believe that rate was correct as it is higher than other hotels, nor that we have an Occupancy Tax.

I told him to call the Louisiana Dept. of Revenue if he did not believe me. He said it was "*****" in reference to the Occupancy Tax. I said, I agree, but he would need to take it up with the LA. Dept of Reveune. These taxes are set by the State, and the City of New Orleans.

The taxes are clearly broken down on our Room Folios. (City, State, and Occupancy).

There is no hidden agenda and no hidden taxes. The extra $97 was Sales Tax and Occupancy Tax. I ran a Calculator tape to prove it out to him, but he still did not understand and refused to pay it. We charged it to his C/C anyway because unless you are State of LA. or City of New Orleans tax exempt, you will be charged for it.

For this, I can not and will not apologize. Nothing to apologize for. Its the law.
Newark, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

We spent 4 nights at Prytania Park for a vacation to New Orleans in June 2010. The hotel was selected based on its availability through Amex website and the good reviews I'd read. The positives: The location is great - I loved that we weren't right in the French Quarter, but that it was super easy to get to by street car. If you're coming back late night, a cab is about $8. There are several restaurants in the area as well. The price was the best we could find for the quality. The room was historic looking - very high ceilings, brick walls and a fire place (not working, but we knew in advance). Overall, a nice, cool retreat from the hot and humid weather. The bed was very comfortable.

Unfortunately, there were many things that I wasn't thrilled with. None of them made for a bad experience, by any means, but basic amenities that I'm used to when traveling were missing: shampoo, conditioner, lotion, for example, were not available in the bathroom. You had to ask for shampoo at the front desk and the guy who was there seemed annoyed that I asked for it and some extra towels. Actually, any time the man was at the counter, he looked irritated and was not friendly at all, the 2 women I encountered were, though. The internet in the lobby was painfully slow - I got faster service on my iPhone.

The shower in our room was extremely tiny. I am an average-sized woman who practices a ton of yoga and I found showering to be a challenge - it was a VERY tight space. There was no chair (which means no where to sit except on the bed) and no desk, which wasn't a huge issue since we weren't there for business, but worth mentioning. The continental breakfast isn't worth it - just coffee, OJ, croissants, pastries and bags of microwave oatmeal. "Splurge" on beignets and coffee at Cafe du Monde or Cafe Beignet instead.

Overall, I was pleased with our stay, but it really does not deserve better than an "Average" rating. This is an example of "you get what you pay for" - and if all your looking for is a cheap, clean place to stay while you visit New Orleans, then this is probably an excellent choice. We would likely return here, only I'd be sure to pack all my toiletries and extra towels next time!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Hotels3, General Manager at Prytania Park, responded to this review, July 3, 2010
"Just the basics", is a great term for those travelers who understand true meaning of the word "budget traveling and value". We are a true "good value" hotel, and plan to continue to be. Our mission is to offer Nice, Clean, Affordable lodging to those who are attempting to watch their budgets, but still want to be apart of the charming Garden District of New Orleans.

I would rather keep our rates lower than most hotels, and save my guests the money but doing little changes like this. We understand how expensive it is to travel today (cost of gas $3/gal +, airline surcharges for luggage $15+/per bag., cost of a bag of travel size peanuts on a plane $2, etc etc)

Instead of us raising our rates to meet the rising costs of operating a hotel, we opted to keep them affordable by choosing to have the "amentites, shampoo, mouthwash, hand lotion", available at the front desk for those who needed them. We have a sign at the front desk that states these items are available.

If our decision upsets someone, I am truely sorry, but I think a savings in your wallet is more important to the traveler than a few steps to pick up Complimentary personal hygeine products.

Extra towels, no problem. We have a very well stocked laundry facility and keep ample behind the front desk for those needing extras over the evening. What this guest was most upset about is that she had to come to the desk to retrieve them. We are a Limited Service hotel. This means, Housekeeping closes at end of their workday and there is no one to bring extra linens to the room like an "room attendent".

Slowness of the Wi-Fi in the lobby. Unfortunately, our building was hit by lighting a few weeks back and the power surge took out some of our Wi-Fi access points. We were running at 75% speed capacity for about 10 days waiting for the replacement equipment. This has all been rectified and now are running fast and smooth again.

Continental Breakfast is what it is. Many guests forget what the definition is and think it is a hot breakfast with eggs and bacon. It is not that at all. The hotel industry definition of "continental" breakfast, " Variety of Pastries, Coffee and Juice". That is all, HOWEVER, we expand it to included, Croissants, Jams and Jellies, Mulit flavors of Grits and Oatmeal that you make yourself with Hot Water. At times, we also include Cold Cereals.

We have in the lobby with the Coffee Station, a Toaster, a ToasterOven, and a Microwave for your 3 options of heating your breakfast. Each room also has a Microwave for that purpose.

This form of breakfast is just a "get me going breakfast" . It is certainly not meant to be a full breakfast. Ours is complimentary, where most other hotels that are 3 Star and up charge at minimum $13 per person for their "continental".

I hope our reading viewers appreciate our efforts in keeping their traveling budgets in mind when they are out "hotel shopping". We look forward to this guests return in the future as well.

Dori H Schulman
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

I stayed here years ago and wanted to say that I thought this was a great place to stay. I didn't know that I could leave a review on the hotel until recently. The staff was very helpful and the maids were too. The breakfast was an added plus. It is convenient to Canal Street and you can take the trolley (about a 10 minute ride tops). There are restaurants a block or two away, and some are open all night. If you are looking for a luxury hotel, this is not the place, but if you're on vacation and have a budget and are looking for a clean, convenient hotel, this is the place. I would stay here again on my next visit to New Orleans.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

My Daughter and I stayed at the Prytania Park for 3 nights in June.Our room was a "contemporary queen" which we found to be reasonably spacious, nicely decorated and clean, with a small desk, microwave and frig. Certainly worth $69/nite in a city like New Orleans. Good AC system. A nice touch was the counter with double sinks located outside the small bathroom, otherwise sharing the small bathroom would have been tough! We were on the St Charles Ave side - and there was some slight traffic noise, but nothing that bothered us. The only other slight negative was the water pressure in the shower (no tub), but considering the historical aspect of the building it was adequate. Continental breakfast was OK, but nothing fancy. Staff was friendly and accomodating. We complained about noise from a high school group one morning, and they gave us the number for security and explained how to report it if we encountered it the next evening. In all fairness as well they warned us about this group when we made the reservations!! My daughter's fiance stayed in a smaller room (double bed) at the same hotel, and his experience was the same as ours.. Great offstreet parking in their own well lit lot behind the hotel which was a definite plus. We were looking for an apartment for the fall, and found the location to be easy to access the rest of New Orleans/suburbs/I10 and within walking distance of the trolley and some restaurants. The one improvement I would like to see is adding room safes, - but we would stay here again!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Fort Worth, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

This hotel is very inexpensive compared to others in the city. As stated before, it is very close to the St. Charles streetcar stop. In one direction is the Garden District. A few minutes in the other direction will lead through the Central Business District to Canal Street. This is where the French Quarter begins. While I did actually walk to the Garden District upon arrival, it would be recommended to take the streetcar to the Quater.

Service was friendly, and the hotel had all of the standard amenities. Air conditioning was good, which is fortunate given the climate in late May/early June. The room was clean and the hotel offered a continental breakfast on the patio each morning.

There are cheap eating options a short walk away such as Burger King, Subway, and Wendy's. Yet, I would recommend some other restaurants since this is New Orlleans. The stay itself was very quiet as was the area surrounding the hotel. For those driving in, there is a decent sized parking lot. The staff is very knowledgeable about area attractions, and they offer maps for visitors.

Overall, this is a good location for budget travel without having to sacrifice the important elements of a hotel stay (such as cleanliness, good service, location, etc)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Been to Prytania Park? Share your experiences!