“Good location, nice enough place to stay again” 5 of 5 stars

Prytania Park
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1525 Prytania Street, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Ranked #71 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good location, nice enough place to stay again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

We went to get our son settled in as a freshman at Loyola. We went with some extra time, and found the location convenient to streetcar, school, and all the activities we chose for the few days we were there. We didn't go exclusively to the French Quarter, so we didn't want to stay where there is quite that much "action". The hotel is quiet, well enough maintained for an older place, and still conveniently located. We aren't heavy breakfast eaters, so the cold croissants and danishes didn't bother us, but they would be disappointing if one is expecting much for breakfast. We stayed in one of the rooms with a loft, and the twin beds upstairs were firm while the queen bed was luxuriously soft. (In our case, our teenage daughter stayed in the soft bed while us old folks with bad backs stayed in the loft beds). Rooms were well enough appointed and the staff very helpful. The well-lit and FREE parking lot are a definite plus.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

We stayed one night at the Prytania Park hotel, just two days ago. My overall impression of the property is that it's a solid four-star property. I suppose I should mention that I don't put it in the class of traditional four-star properties, such as the Omni Royal Orleans and the Ritz Carlton. My rating is influenced heavily by location, value, and the attitude of the staff members with which I had dealings.

We were in a Traditional King room, with a very comfortable king size bed, hardwood floor, non-functioning fireplace with a mantel, exposed brick wall, a small microwave, and a smallish (27 inch or so) flat panel TV. The room was clean, the air-conditioning functioned properly, and the ceiling fan was a nice touch. The bathroom had a tub/shower combination and a tile floor and it was clean. It wasn't a Ritz-Carlton bathroom, but the room rate wasn't a Ritz-Carlton room rate.

The hotel provides free parking in a well-lighted lot owned by the hotel. We parked just steps from the front door of the hotel.

The check-in process was friendly and efficient. Judith, the young lady behind the desk, welcomed us and provided us with all the information we required.

After we checked in, I want back to the front desk to obtain some additional information, and Judith was in the process of checking in another guest. This guest was from another country, so there was a slight language barrier, and he had made his reservation through Hotwire. He was requesting a room with two beds and Judith was informing him that the Hotwire rooms all had one bed. She also informed him that there were two-bed rooms available, but that there would be an additional $20 per night charge for these rooms. The young man was rather upset , and it appeared to me that the situation would soon get quite ugly. However, Judith remained calm and continued working with the young man. She gave a little and he gave a little and the potentially volatile situation was defused. She deserves to be commended for the manner in which she handled the situation.

The Continental breakfast was adequate. Folks who are expecting a Hampton Inn type breakfast are going to be disappointed. But, the hotel did provide croissants, donuts, rolls, cereal, milk, coffee, and orange juice. The lack of a tasty breakfast didn't bother me because we normally don't waste the opportunity for a New Orleans meal by eating a Continental breakfast at a hotel.

We would definitely stay at the Prytania Park again. The location is good and the area appears to be safe for walking to and from St. Charles. There are a number of restaurants/cafes with easy walking distance. Considering the low rate (we booked on the hotel's web site), the comfortable and clean room, and the attitude of Miss Judith, we thought it was an incredible bargain.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
San Antonio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

My stay at Prytania was from July 2-7. I was there from San Antonio, Tx for the Essence Festival and to visit friends in the area. I found the staff friendly. The room had a very heavy door so I was not alarmed that anyone may kick in my door as I slept or while I was away. I returned to my room at 2:30 am or later from the concerts at the Superdome. I enjoyed knowing I would be returning to a well lit parking area. The fact that they have security on duty monitoring the area at night made me feel secure. Being single and traveling with a teenage daughter, safety is important. The location is just a few steps away from the St. Charles street car as well as many eateries. The area where the bath/microwave/refrigerator area is not modern. It has old tile and laminate counters but it served its purpose. Our last night at the hotel there was a tour group of teenagers who were boistrous as they passed by our room but that was the only noise we heard. What can be done, they are teens. If you are a person who enjoys luxuries as valet parking ,700 count sheets and towels from Nordstroms then this will not meet your criteria. I look forward to staying here again on my next trip to New Orleans.

• Stayed July 2009
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

I visited this property following several days on the Blues Trail in Mississippi-it was a great place to rest up and visit the city of New Orleans for the first time. The two ladies at the front desk that night and in the morning were fantastic and helped with directions around the city-very friendly and informative. The old world feel of the halls and corradors made me feel that I was back in 'old New Orleans'-loved it. Hope to return for another stay when I get back in that area-My Best-MF Foster

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

Prytania Park Hotel is a 2 star hotel and it offers no amenities and is "no-frills' as stated on another site. It is located next to what seems to be an abandoned house with the windows boarded up and the paint chipping extremely bad. If you expect to have any kind of customer service I would recommend that you go somewhere else. Upon arrival the check-in process was smooth, until we got to the room and it wasn't the picture that I saw on the website from which I reserved my space (although the non-customer service rep insisted that this was the correct room.) I let it go and went back to the room. My aunt went down for extra towels and was told that there were two sets in the room. So what, we wanted extra towels, what difference did it make if there were already two sets in there. Not to mention that the towels were paper thin and looked like they were bought at the dollar store.
The floor in the sink room/microfridge area was black and cracked and I was afraid to walk on it without my shoes. Oh yeah, they offered free wireless but you couldn't connect in your room you had to sit in the courtyard which was about 100 degrees every day. I would not recommend anyone stay here and I will never stay here aging. As a matter of fact I will never plan a vacation to New Orleans again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Hotels3, General Manager/Owner at Prytania Park, responded to this review, July 9, 2009
Yes,, there is an abandoned house for nearly 7 years just in front of New Orleans. We do not own it, but have been working very hard since Katrina to get it demolished. The City of New Orleans has ignored our pleas because they are still hoping the owner will appear out of no where. Maybe if more guests will complain to the City of New Orleans to demolish houses that look like this, and let others buy the land to develop the land, then maybe visitors will be glad to return to our city. We have homes like this all over our City. From one end to the other.

But to her complaint, all on our lobby security cameras. The guest had a folder full of web sites that she used to research her room. She claimed first she booked through our web site. So I showed her the web site and showed her room assigned was exactly what she saw. Then she said, no, she booked through a company affliated with her job. I showed her that her paperwork she carried was with a marketing company that we do not work with and that the pictures they showed her were pirated off of our web site. It was possible they downloaded the bigger rooms in hopes to lure you to book with them. Basically the swtich and bait. BUT THEN

She left the desk and went back to her room Upon further research, she actually booked through a discounter we market through and I called her to advise her of the reality of her booking manner. She said, oh yes, you are right and she remembered that the room they described was hers.

In fact, we had just put that room back into service from being re furnished with all new paint and furniture. Freshly shampooed carpets etc.

Within a few moments, a guest appeared at the desk stating she was staying in the room with the registered guest and that they only had 2 sets of towels. I asked how many people were staying there and she stated 4. I said, oh, ok, the reservation was only for 2, so I will advise housekeeping in the morning to adjust for the rest of the stay. I gave her several extra sets .

The registered guest then later returned to the desk to "apologize" to me for her rudeness.

I spoke with her the next day and explained I do not stress over guests who are confused when booking rooms. I complimented her on her very thorough homework about where she was staying. All was fine.

I saw all of the ladies at breakfast each day and they seemed to enjoy it. Nothing was ever said to us to make us believe they were not happy. None of them had lap tops to our knowledge or asked upon check in if the wireless would reach. We could had moved their rooms if that was needed. Our buildings are constructed to with stand Hurricanes and the wireless does not reach to certain rooms because of the steel beam construction. It reaches to about 2/3's. We offer a FREE business center computer and printer in the lobby for those who do not travel with a laptop. And for those who do, many, many of our guests enjoy and do not mind sitting in the garden courtyard.

The guest was upset that we charged her for the extra guests she brought in as "un" registered. Had she registered them with the discounter, she would have saved approx. 20% or $9.00. All of our sites explain rates are based on "double" occupany, and extra guests are each $10 + tax per night. ($11.60 per night).

Our towels and sheets are of quality and are replaced when wearing thin. Granted, they are not turkish bed and bath linens like you will find in the 4 and 5 star hotels, but again, she is not paying4 or 5 star hotel prices either.

She apparently is upset she got caught trying to decieve the hotel and had to pay for the extra people she brought in.

Honesty will always will prevail.
Florence, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

This was a repeat visit and I was very satisfied again. I had some miscommunication regarding my reservation but the situation was rectified without any hardship on my part. The staff, especially Christine, was very helpful and pleasant. The room was nice and comfortable and the proximity to the streetcar line is definitely great. I recommend this hotel to anyone staying in New Orleans.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

I just returned home a few days ago from my trip to New Orleans. I traveled with two friends of mine and it was our first time going to New Orleans.

The room was lovely and clean. In fact, it was cleaner than most of the mega hotel chains we've stayed at. It is older, however, so it isn't as shiny as the newer rooms at big hotels.

But, what I really wanted to mention, was the staff. Unfortunately, I was not able to get everyone's names. Everyone there could not have been kinder or more lovely. From the woman who recommended Zea's (thanks again, it was fantastic!) to the woman who canceled our second set of reservations to the swamp tour for us. And, Christine (I believe her name was, I know she's blonde) was FANTASTIC. Every question we asked she had an answer for. She even answered some questions we didn't ask such as which areas were safe. Booking our swamp tour for us, printing out the walking tours for the Garden and French district. It made us feel safe and kind of at home.

The location was truly fantastic. The street car, which you just cross the street to get to, was extremely convenient. It takes you to Canal Street and from there you can get just about anywhere in New Orleans. We just parked the car and didn't move it until our last day when we drove home.

I can guarantee that on our next trip to New Orleans we will stay here again!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Prytania Park? Share your experiences!