“Prytania Park is great, swamp tour rules.” 5 of 5 stars

Prytania Park
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1525 Prytania Street, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Ranked #78 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
A TripAdvisor Member
“Prytania Park is great, swamp tour rules.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2005

My wife and I checked in after horrible delays at 2 different airports. New Orleans was our last stop on a 7 mth vacation. When we checked in we were greeted by a friendly and knowledgable staff. We checked into a wonderful two level "loft" room which had great space for our daughters who are attending school in New Orleans. We were thrilled with the price. Just $99.00 for a weekend night! Downtown hotels were $180.00 and up for the same nights! The room was both clean and inviting. The continental breakfast on the first morning was simple yet high quality. We ate outside in the wonderful courtyard which we just loved. On our second morning we went to the Blue Plate Cafe which was only a block away. What a delcious breakfast. It was one of the best breakfasts of our entire stay. One of the front desk agents also suggested Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro. We had serious complaints about that place. It was just too much delicious cajun food! Many other restaurants were also just an easy walk away. We picked up the streetcar just a block away and took it to Bourbon Street. The wonderful front desk staff also suggested the Cajun Pride Swamp tour. That was the best time. Drinking a daiquiri and watching gators. We had never seen a gator before except on a belt. Would we recomend the Prytania? Absolutely! Wonderful staff, clean rooms and good location. We enjoyed it so much my daughter is now planning her wedding at the Queen Anne mansion which the hotel also owns. A wonderful memorable stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2005

We found the Prytania from the web on Hotels.com. The photos on the web showed a quaint and authentic New Orleans style hotel - just what I was looking to stay in for my first time to the city. My husband and I arrived with our two small children shortly after midnight. Driving up to the hotel, the surrounding area was a bit ominous. I thought we were staying in the Garden District? I guess they meant “almost” in the Garden District. We checked in and went up to our room exhausted from our long drive and ready to retire. Being so late we requested a different room. Although this one was cleaner than the first, it was still unacceptable. You say my standards are high? Well maybe, but let me just mention a few things I noticed and you be the judge. 1. Thick dust collected on the curtains 2. Wallpaper peeling off the walls. 3. Water stains on the ceiling. 4. Hairs on the floor in the bathroom. 5. The loft bedding was soiled with stains on the inner blanket and what I can only describe as dried up goop on the sheets. (I always pull back sheets to check for stains and bed bugs – Thank God I did) 6. I killed to small baby roaches in the bathroom/kitchen area (the dormitory size refrigerator and coffee maker are behind the bathroom door). Note: The room was cramped with all the furniture and if you are on the heavy side do not request the loft room. The spiral stairs are quite narrow even for someone of average weight and height.

Needless to say we did not fulfill our stay at the Prytania Park and decided to go with a reputable local chain – Marriott – for the rest of our stay in the city.

Although, I will say this hotel has potential. If they would only keep it up and clean, it would lend itself to being exactly what I was looking for, quaint and authentic.

• Stayed July 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2005

We just returned from a two night stay at the Prytania Park Hotel. We got a terrific rate by booking directly with the hotel using the "Summer Sizzle" discount. We had a loft room with two queen sized beds offering some privacy for more than one traveler. The hotel staff was wonderful. They allowed us to check in early and, in order to accommodate our late flight, leave our bags after checking out. Housekeeping was excellent. A light continental breakfast is served each morning. The hotel is right off the St. Charles streetcar line and very convenient for getting around without a car. On our next trip to New Orleans we would definitely stay at the Prytania Park again.

• Stayed July 2005
North Richland Hills
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2005

Rooms are small and housekeeping a B-, but the location is great, right on streetcar line, and (despite other reviews) good restaurants nearby.
great gumbo at St. Charles Tavern, Emeril's Delmonico, Copelands's, La Madelines, all within 4 blocks. Free parking in guarded lot! Continental breakfast is minimal, but got a mini-suite (read microwave & small fridge) for $59 by booking directly with the hotel! Hard to beat when compared to French Quarter or Warehouse district. Staff very good with directions & advice. Certainly not elegant, but a bargain none-the-less.

Stayed June 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2005

My mother and I stayed at the Prytania Park Hotel and we had an unforgettable time. The hotel had only one room available yet we never saw any other people other than the cleaning ladies and staff in the front office. Our room was truly private (3-4 flights of spiral staircases up...What a workout!!)...the room looked like the inside of a dollhouse...it almost felt creepy but beautiful...very New Orleans like...the walls were painted pink with all sorts of Victorian scenes...so so feminine...our bathroom was very spacious with a very clean bathtub, floors, and sink. We also had a huge wooden closet...I would truly recommend this hotel for someone who is on a budget yet wants to experience New Orleans as it should be

• Stayed February 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2005

First visit to NO during a very busy convention so available hotels were hard to come by. I booked online through expedia and thought I secured a suite at the hotel. Upon checkin I was advised that there were no longer suites available (I did PAY IN ADVANCE through expedia) and I would have to take a standard room. It was late and after a 10 hour trip I took what I could get. The rooms are small!!! The "kitchen" is a very old microwave and a bar fridge. The bathroom is very small as well.

The room did appear to be quite clean but the first morning I decided to do a clean test - they give you a card that says if you want the sheets changed put it on the bed. I marked the bottom of the sheet and one of my pillows very lightly with an eyeliner (something that would wash out very easily) and put the card on the middle of the bed in obvious view. That evening when I returned I checked my markings and they were still there!!! The bed was made but the sheets/pillows NOT washed.

The hotel is not in a bad location - very close to St. Charles street and I walked in every morning to the convention centre - an easy 20 minute walk. As for bourbon street it was only about a $10 or so cab ride away.

The hotel staff were good and seemed helpful. If other hotels are available I would chose them over the Prytania, however, for the price it's okay.

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2005

No complaints here. The rooms were quaint and clean. The staff was friendly and very accomadating. My only complaint was breakfast wasnt served on time saturday. We were located alittle further from downtown than I would have liked but the hotel was nice. The cleaning crew was honest because I accidentally left my purse loaded with money out and not one thing was removed from it. I was very pleased with this hotel and its staff.

• Stayed March 2005

Been to Prytania Park? Share your experiences!