“Pleasant stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #70 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
San Antonio
“Pleasant stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

My stay at Prytania was from July 2-7. I was there from San Antonio, Tx for the Essence Festival and to visit friends in the area. I found the staff friendly. The room had a very heavy door so I was not alarmed that anyone may kick in my door as I slept or while I was away. I returned to my room at 2:30 am or later from the concerts at the Superdome. I enjoyed knowing I would be returning to a well lit parking area. The fact that they have security on duty monitoring the area at night made me feel secure. Being single and traveling with a teenage daughter, safety is important. The location is just a few steps away from the St. Charles street car as well as many eateries. The area where the bath/microwave/refrigerator area is not modern. It has old tile and laminate counters but it served its purpose. Our last night at the hotel there was a tour group of teenagers who were boistrous as they passed by our room but that was the only noise we heard. What can be done, they are teens. If you are a person who enjoys luxuries as valet parking ,700 count sheets and towels from Nordstroms then this will not meet your criteria. I look forward to staying here again on my next trip to New Orleans.

• Stayed July 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

I visited this property following several days on the Blues Trail in Mississippi-it was a great place to rest up and visit the city of New Orleans for the first time. The two ladies at the front desk that night and in the morning were fantastic and helped with directions around the city-very friendly and informative. The old world feel of the halls and corradors made me feel that I was back in 'old New Orleans'-loved it. Hope to return for another stay when I get back in that area-My Best-MF Foster

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

Prytania Park Hotel is a 2 star hotel and it offers no amenities and is "no-frills' as stated on another site. It is located next to what seems to be an abandoned house with the windows boarded up and the paint chipping extremely bad. If you expect to have any kind of customer service I would recommend that you go somewhere else. Upon arrival the check-in process was smooth, until we got to the room and it wasn't the picture that I saw on the website from which I reserved my space (although the non-customer service rep insisted that this was the correct room.) I let it go and went back to the room. My aunt went down for extra towels and was told that there were two sets in the room. So what, we wanted extra towels, what difference did it make if there were already two sets in there. Not to mention that the towels were paper thin and looked like they were bought at the dollar store.
The floor in the sink room/microfridge area was black and cracked and I was afraid to walk on it without my shoes. Oh yeah, they offered free wireless but you couldn't connect in your room you had to sit in the courtyard which was about 100 degrees every day. I would not recommend anyone stay here and I will never stay here aging. As a matter of fact I will never plan a vacation to New Orleans again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Hotels3, General Manager/Owner at Prytania Park, responded to this review, July 9, 2009
Yes,, there is an abandoned house for nearly 7 years just in front of New Orleans. We do not own it, but have been working very hard since Katrina to get it demolished. The City of New Orleans has ignored our pleas because they are still hoping the owner will appear out of no where. Maybe if more guests will complain to the City of New Orleans to demolish houses that look like this, and let others buy the land to develop the land, then maybe visitors will be glad to return to our city. We have homes like this all over our City. From one end to the other.

But to her complaint, all on our lobby security cameras. The guest had a folder full of web sites that she used to research her room. She claimed first she booked through our web site. So I showed her the web site and showed her room assigned was exactly what she saw. Then she said, no, she booked through a company affliated with her job. I showed her that her paperwork she carried was with a marketing company that we do not work with and that the pictures they showed her were pirated off of our web site. It was possible they downloaded the bigger rooms in hopes to lure you to book with them. Basically the swtich and bait. BUT THEN

She left the desk and went back to her room Upon further research, she actually booked through a discounter we market through and I called her to advise her of the reality of her booking manner. She said, oh yes, you are right and she remembered that the room they described was hers.

In fact, we had just put that room back into service from being re furnished with all new paint and furniture. Freshly shampooed carpets etc.

Within a few moments, a guest appeared at the desk stating she was staying in the room with the registered guest and that they only had 2 sets of towels. I asked how many people were staying there and she stated 4. I said, oh, ok, the reservation was only for 2, so I will advise housekeeping in the morning to adjust for the rest of the stay. I gave her several extra sets .

The registered guest then later returned to the desk to "apologize" to me for her rudeness.

I spoke with her the next day and explained I do not stress over guests who are confused when booking rooms. I complimented her on her very thorough homework about where she was staying. All was fine.

I saw all of the ladies at breakfast each day and they seemed to enjoy it. Nothing was ever said to us to make us believe they were not happy. None of them had lap tops to our knowledge or asked upon check in if the wireless would reach. We could had moved their rooms if that was needed. Our buildings are constructed to with stand Hurricanes and the wireless does not reach to certain rooms because of the steel beam construction. It reaches to about 2/3's. We offer a FREE business center computer and printer in the lobby for those who do not travel with a laptop. And for those who do, many, many of our guests enjoy and do not mind sitting in the garden courtyard.

The guest was upset that we charged her for the extra guests she brought in as "un" registered. Had she registered them with the discounter, she would have saved approx. 20% or $9.00. All of our sites explain rates are based on "double" occupany, and extra guests are each $10 + tax per night. ($11.60 per night).

Our towels and sheets are of quality and are replaced when wearing thin. Granted, they are not turkish bed and bath linens like you will find in the 4 and 5 star hotels, but again, she is not paying4 or 5 star hotel prices either.

She apparently is upset she got caught trying to decieve the hotel and had to pay for the extra people she brought in.

Honesty will always will prevail.
Florence, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

This was a repeat visit and I was very satisfied again. I had some miscommunication regarding my reservation but the situation was rectified without any hardship on my part. The staff, especially Christine, was very helpful and pleasant. The room was nice and comfortable and the proximity to the streetcar line is definitely great. I recommend this hotel to anyone staying in New Orleans.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

I just returned home a few days ago from my trip to New Orleans. I traveled with two friends of mine and it was our first time going to New Orleans.

The room was lovely and clean. In fact, it was cleaner than most of the mega hotel chains we've stayed at. It is older, however, so it isn't as shiny as the newer rooms at big hotels.

But, what I really wanted to mention, was the staff. Unfortunately, I was not able to get everyone's names. Everyone there could not have been kinder or more lovely. From the woman who recommended Zea's (thanks again, it was fantastic!) to the woman who canceled our second set of reservations to the swamp tour for us. And, Christine (I believe her name was, I know she's blonde) was FANTASTIC. Every question we asked she had an answer for. She even answered some questions we didn't ask such as which areas were safe. Booking our swamp tour for us, printing out the walking tours for the Garden and French district. It made us feel safe and kind of at home.

The location was truly fantastic. The street car, which you just cross the street to get to, was extremely convenient. It takes you to Canal Street and from there you can get just about anywhere in New Orleans. We just parked the car and didn't move it until our last day when we drove home.

I can guarantee that on our next trip to New Orleans we will stay here again!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Lake Charles, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

After reading some of the reviews I was kind of hesitant to stay here. My husband travels a lot and is used to chains so I was not sure if he would be happy or not. His only complaint was that he had to walk up a flight of stairs with his luggage. (Poor thing)

The service at the front desk was superb. No complaints there at all.

The room was clean. The loft was convenient, though there was no TV up there and I had a hard time getting my son to want to sleep up there by himself. The beds were firm and comfortable. (I do have to agree with one of the reviews I read regarding the floors turning your feet black. The carpet doesn't look dirty at all - I'm not sure what that is all about. It wasn't a big deal, though.) The curtains did not let any bit of light in, which is a good thing. I didn't hear any traffic or kids running up and down the halls. It was very pleasant and relaxing.

There are many restaurants and bars right down the block. I got this awesome roast beef sandwich at this 24 hour tavern. There is also a Hibachi grill that was really good, and a couple fast-food chains.

If you are in New Orleans and really want to feel like a New Orleans native, stay here. You won't regret it. I will definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Beaumont, Texas USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

I spent a weekend at The Prytania Park Hotel and found it clean, charming and very affordable. Great location just off St. Charles (on the streetcar line), close enough to everything we wanted to do. Free parking in a fenced, well-lit private lot sealed the deal for us! The "loft"-style room was perfect for my stay with my adult son and daughter -- this gave us all enough privacy to be comfortable.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family

Been to Prytania Park? Share your experiences!