“Great stay outside of busy New Orleans” 4 of 5 stars

Prytania Park
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1525 Prytania Street, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Ranked #70 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great stay outside of busy New Orleans”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My friend and I traveled to New Orleans for a quick weekend getaway. We decided to stay outside of the French Quarter, in the Garden District. What a great choice! It was quiet with plenty of great restaurants and easy access to the streetcar.
The hotel is minimalist, so don't expect anything other than a comfortable place to sleep and a light continental breakfast every morning. Our room was very spacious, we had two very comfy double beds - one up in a loft, added a sense of privacy. The breakfast was a basic continental spread, but a nice option for a quick bite. There was also a microwave, mini fridge and coffee maker in the room which was great for leftovers!
Only downside, the bathroom needed some maintenance. The toilet was parting from the floor, there was a bit of mold in the tub (understanding the high humidity in New Orleans) and the bathroom floor needed to be mopped (which it never was throughout our stay, despite a request being made).
Overall, I would stay here again, for the money you really can't beat it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

I really love the location and the room. We checked in yesterday and I tried to pay for room. Guy at front desk said to just swipe card for the fifty dollar hold on room. Now they have encumbered the whole amount of room plus the fifty dollars and then act like they are clueless. When I tried to talk to someone in charge, apparently that person does not exist! I had just been bragging earlier on what a good deal this place was. Also, when we came back to room after being gone all day, it still had not been cleaned.

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Prytania Park, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear Readers,

I am truly sorry for the confusion this guest experienced. However, it is not what it sounds like.

When checking in, a guest, always has the option of paying cash for their room and taxes. You can tender at check in, or at check out. It really does not matter to us, or most hotels across the country. The only difference is if you pay it at check out, the C/C you guaranteed payment on will be authorized for the full stay plus incidentals, vs, if you pay it at check in, your C/C is only authorized for incidentals.

This guests checked in just before 5 pm, did state she wanted to pay with cash, but did not advance the funds at that time. We explained our policy, just what is written above. We advised she can pay at any time, but we would authorize for full stay. We originally set her C/C to authorize for the incidentals only, thinking she would tendering the room/tax cash payment shortly. By midnight, she had not come down, so we authorized her card for full room/tax to guarantee payment. This is Standard procedure for any hotel one checks into. We actually should have authorized it at check in, but we gave her the benifit of the doubt since they had been traveling all day and were anxious to get settled.

The next afternoon, she realized what we did, called down to the F/D to express her anger. The operations manager was off duty, and I was off property for a meeting when she called down.

We did just as we said we would, and she got angry with us for doing what was expected. I am sorry for the confusion, but what we did, is nothing more or less than the what every hotel in the world does, obtain a gurantee of payment until cash is tendered.
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I'm a budget traveller and I don't have super high standards, but it must be said that in terms of value for money, this is a great hotel. As well as being very inexpensive, the rooms are quite nice. I stayed six nights in a contemporary queen, and the room was a good size, it was very clean, and the bathroom was well-maintained. The hotel is super nice, and as far as free hotel breakfasts go this one was quite good (the bagels were quite nice!). The staff were super nice, and really helpful. There's some nice eating places and cafes near by, and the St Charles trolley runs really near by. It's only a short trip by trolley to the French Quarter, and a cheap cab fare back if you're planning on staying out later at night. I would definitely come again, and highly recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

My husband and I were very happy with our room. We found it beautiful and charming. We loved the large windows, high ceilings, and dark wood floors. The staff was polite and quickly got our room ready when we arrived early. If you are like us and care nothing about room service or on-site bars, this hotel is for you. Our room served its purpose for us, and was surprisingly lovely. It's also very close to the trolly, making it convenient to anything you want to see.

• Stayed June 2012
Magnolia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I read these reviews THOROUGHLY before my stay and I must admit that I was a little frightened after I read the bad ones...however, the good ones outweighed the bad and I am SO glad I stayed! The loft room we stayed in was too cute. Yes, it is a bit older but I LIKE that when staying in a city like New Orleans, helps get you in the mood of your surroundings. When we checked in, the girl at the front desk was neither friendly nor rude, just meh...which is fine, lol I am not royalty :P Checkout was a blonde girl and she was way friendlier. The location is GREAT, close to the trolley, within walking distance of many good restaurants (I recommend Sushi Brothers)...I got a bargain on this room at $79 + tax and I am still surprised at such a great price with FREE parking. Unbeatable in the area. No problems with noise during our stay. I will be back, and ASAP.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

The positives: Very reasonably-priced, clean, wonderful location, and friendly/helpful staff. The proximity to St. Charles Street where you can catch the trolley or eat at one of the many good restaurants nearby. The rooms have a microwave, small fridge, and free wireless internet.

The critique: The rooms are rather small, they lack an iron and ironing board (you can borrow one from the office), and the continental breakfast is a little sparse.

But it's such a nice place to stay for the price, I didn't find those things bothersome. Next time I'm in New Orleans I'll definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The Prytania Park is one of three properties. Ask to stay in the Prytania Park rather than one of th...