“Outstanding room” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #67 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Chicago, Illinois
“Outstanding room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

We had two queen beds, one lofted up a spiral staircase. Gave us a great sense of room at a good value. The location is good steps from the St Charles streetcar for convenient travel all around town. Short ride to French Quarter or Garden District. Free parking in lot. Room clean. Street looks dodgy but is not. Balcony and trees right outside room were nice, but noise from other guests outside carried occasionally. Average continental breakfast. If you are economizing with three or four people, or two traveling companions would like a little break from each other, the double queen lofted is the perfect space.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

484 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

I meant to post this aboput a month ago so apologies!
This is a real find in a city not noted for its budget accommodation. The hotel is in an older and extended building and disabled visitors need to be aware there is no lift (this is mentioned on the website). I had a second floor room with spiral staircase leading up to a duplex floor which I imagine kids would love. The room was spacious with wardrobe space and drawer storage and it was clean. The bed was comfortable though the bathroon with an over bath shower was a little small but I didn't find this a huge problem.
In good weather breakfast is taken in a small courtyard area and is perfectly adequate with pastries, bagels, tea, coffee, juice and so forth. If you want a cooked breakfast then there is a cafe/bar just across the road.
The location is terrific. I came into NOLA by train and it's about a $20 cab from the AMTRAK station. If I'd been driving I could've left my car in the free parking off street area immediately outside the hotel's front door as the Streetcar stop on St.Charles is literally a five minute walk away. There are bars and food places (fast and otherwise) within easy reach.
Check in and out was smooth and they allowed me to leave my bags until I had to go and get the train. My only criticism is that, in common with many other hotels, they could have a better selection of diet sodas available; other brands than Coke are available but I certainly wouldn't let that stop me from staying here again next time I'm in New Orleans.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues specify a ground floor room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I am just back from New Orleans Jazz Fest April 26, to 30th 2012. I stayed in a hotel in the Lower Garden district uptown called The Prytania Park Hotel. The hotel is in an area that is being redeveloped has nice restaurants nearby and the St. Charles street car stop is a block away and gives you access to other parts of the city. The hotel was very nice; the room I stayed in was the room with 2 twin beds and was nicely decorated and very clean. The room had a micro wave, small fridge, and coffee maker. The hotel staff was friendly and very helpful with getting around the area and recommending places to eat. The Hotel provided a continental breakfast with cereal, bagels, fruit, yogurt, coffee, juice, milk etc. I would highly recommend this hotel at the price it can’t be beat and I will be going back and staying again, as for New Orleans the people are some of the friendliest and most helpful I have ever met. I got lost a number of times as I traveled around this wonderful city someone always pointed me in the right direction and wished me a good day. They say once you visit New Orleans you will want to come back and it is very true. Visit if you can and you will go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

The Prytania Park is a quirky hotel conveniently located an inexpensive streetcar ride from the French Quarter. As is the case with hotels in historic structures, the rooms aren't consistent in shape and size, and the bathroom in my room was an interesting shape (I was on the third floor in what used to be an attic room, and although the sloped ceiling gave me enough clearance, I kept slouching because I was afraid I'd hit my head). Parking is free (a big plus in that area of NOLA), and the grounds were well kept. There is a decent continental breakfast spread, although as others have mentioned, there's not a lot of room to sit and eat (especially if it's raining). If you're bound to the Quarter, the St Charles Streetcar stops in front of the hotel - save the frustration trying to drive it!

Room Tip: If you're light sensitive be aware that the light from the stairwell comes in through a glass pa...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Spokane, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

NOT FAMILY FRIENDLY
BUSY STREET & RUN DOWN NEIGHBORHOOD
BAD MANAGMENT
FACILITIES THAT ARE NOT ADVERTIZED ACCURATLY
POOR BREAKFAST CHOICES

Three things to be aware of at this hotel: 1) You get charged the same price for either a nice fairly quiet room or a smaller, more run down, and on a very busy street (both are "Contemporary Queen" rooms). 2) This is a noisy place to stay, the facilities are fairly run down (cracked countertops, fans don't work in the bathrooms, I could go on), noisy street, run-down part of the neighborhood, and the hotel's outside courtyard has people up late and talking. 3) BAD MANAGEMENT! We had a terrible experience the first night with a room (that was taken out of order due to maintenance issues) and was right on the busy street and offered no room for our pack-n-play. When we saw the room, we did not want to stay, but we were told that there was nothing that could be done and nowhere to move us but to a room that they would charge us more for. We explained that this was not the type of room we had booked and that with the busy street, our 8 month old was likely to keep everyone up that night (which I had mentioned in my reservation notes). They were unrelenting, refused to upgrade us, and said they would charge us for the night even if we didn't stay. We ended up staying in the room, which was a mistake! The telephone was not hooked up, the bathroom fan didn't work (and there was no light cover on it either), three ambulances went by on the road, and it was a very drafty room. People were also out in the courtyard until after midnight making a ton of noise. The next day we were ready to leave! Having met the one day requirement, we tried to check out on time, but not stay the additional day that we had reserved due to our bad experience. The management was unrelenting about charging for another night’s stay. We were moved to another room off the street with a lot more space (like the pictures that I based my reservation on), but even though the previous room was deemed unusable at that point, the only thing management would do is give us 10% ($8.90) off of our first night’s stay in a unusable room! Hindsight says that we should have left the first night and refused to pay the charge on our card.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the street!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Hotels3, General Manager at Prytania Park, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
WOW, how the tables have turned. This is NOT representative of how they checked out, when the husband signed the room folio charges. She did not come into the lobby at check out. He Thanked Us for moving them so quickly the next morning, and appreciated the discount we offered them. We apologized again for the problems, but were glad to know the 2nd night was more pleasant and they enjoyed our area. He did state is was easy to get to the Park, the Zoo and to the FQ as well. He appreciated the fact that the Streetcar was just around the corner, as he said, Easy On, Easy Off.

To the complaint, when we were advised of the “un-acceptable conditions” the morning after they arrived, we explained we only have 62 rooms to this property we were full house, and they were our last check in for this room type (very late arrival). However, we had noted that they had an 8 month old with them, so I had pre-assigned them into the room that is tucked into a quiet cove away from the front lobby hussle/bussle and away courtyard seating area. Away from the Coke machine, and Ice Maker, Away from the Laundry room, and Away from where we set up the Courtyard breakfast. However, this room does face the street, and you may experience some street noise. The fact that there were 3 ambulances screaming by during the night is out of our control, and something that any room in our hotel would have heard.

It was then that we offered to move them to another room that was opening up via departures. We showed them the room that was available on the back corridor where there is seating all along, but you do not hear the street noise as much. They asked for an upstairs room that was larger, but we could not upgrade them as we had nothing open and available to upgrade them to. It is not that we would not upgrade them, we could not. She was upset that there was little room for the pack and play. We apologized and explained that the room she booked is for 2 guests, not 2 guests and an infant in a pack and play. We did inquire, when you booked, if you were concerned about the space, why did you book the smaller room? She had said they were on a budget.

She wanted to leave, but the husband wanted to stay, as he liked the area, and felt comfortable with the new room selection and it was within their budget. We stored their luggage until the new rooms was turned over, and then placed it in there for them. When they returned from their days adventure, the new room was set ready for them

As to the “un-acceptable conditions”,
1.The exhaust fan in the bathroom area did work, just not all the time. The light cover was missing, but that did not hinder the functionality of the unit. We are in the process of replacing them in rooms were needed.

2.The phone line to the room was shorted out on the “outside” line when the prior guest attempted to pull it to the other side of the room. We found out about this that morning when they prior guests departed. Unfortunately, it was not something we could have fixed, but had to call into AT&T. We knew we had another guests checking in, but are at the mercy of the vendor’s repair schedule now. It was fixed the next morning when this guests room moved to the other room.

3.This is a courtyard style hotel, with tables and chairs. If guests were sitting at the tables until midnight, or thereafter, that is possible as our weather has been wonderfully cool at nights. However, from were the seating is, to her room, is about 100 feet, and then up a few stairs to the cove entrance to her room. I have a hard time believing that this bothered her as much as she claims simply because, as we got no other complaints regarding this, and there are rooms within 10 feet of this table/chair set up.

4.Breakfast: I am not sure what she was expecting, as our web site discusses “Continental” breakfast. Our actually is an Expanded Continental.

Now, by definition, “Continental” means, Coffee, Juice, Breakfast pastries. BUT Our “Expanded Continental” means, Coffee, Juice, Breakfast pastries, Bagels w/Cream Cheese, and/or Butter and Jams, Raisin Toast, Yogurt (Yoplait and Activia), Honey Nut Cherrios, Raisin Bran, Oatmeal and Grit packs that you self make with hot water.

I ask you, what is so “Poor Breakfast Choices” is this?

Again, we are sorry for the 1st nights mishaps, but we honestly thought the room location was better for being more quiet than on the center corridor, or back corridor where there is seating all along. The discount was appropriate in our estimation. I hope they find their perfect hotel in their travels, and have happy adventures along the way.

Fondly,
Dori H Schulman
auckland new zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

Stayed 4 nights, as a couple in March. Found the room comfortable, including the large bed, adequately clean and quiet. We stayed upstairs in an old but well kept and decorated room, with a high ceiling, facing the street, which was quiet so there was no noise issue. A minor issue was no extractor fan in the bathroom, but the aircon dealt with that given time.
The day staff were friendly and helpful,tho this was less so with the night staff.
The breakfast was very basic, but just down the road the recommended Blue Plate Cafe was busy, the food was tasty, generous and moderately priced. Likewise Slice Pizza for dinner and not many blocks walk away was The Commanders Palace, a more expensive treat well worth visiting and popular enough to require booking despite the large seating capacity.
At the city end of the Garden District, the location was safe and easily accessible by "cheap as" tram just a block away to both Uptown and Downtown/The French Quarter. In the daytime at this time of year we found it easy to walk to the French Quarter and not far from the likes of the War Museum.
We would stay again when in NOLA, but would recommend booking well ahead at this time of year

Room Tip: Upstairs as the breakfast is served outside in the courtyard close to some rooms. The road frontage...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Friendly staff and good location. Its got a "bed and breakfast" feel to it. Close to public transportation and lots nice family owned restruants. Parking is free. I felt the grounds were well kept and the rooms were in good shape. No gym and no place to have a meal. The worst thing was the small stairs inside the rooms to get to and from the lofts. At night they can be a challange. Over all, as most here have said the price is cheaper than most in the area, but what you give up is not gonna ruin the stay.I would stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Hotels3, General Manager at Prytania Park, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review. I am sorry you were not aware of this attraction. I will alert my F/D agents to make it well known at check in. Although we do not have a gym onsite, our guests have full access Free Of Charge to the St.Charles Athletic club at the corner of our street. It is 1/2 block to the gym. Also, being a limited service hotel, we do not have a restaurant. However, within a 4 block area, you have nearly 2 dozen restaurants, ranging from Fine Dining to Burger King. You do not come to New Orleans to eat hotel food, when there are over 3000 incredible restaurants in our city to sample. New Orleans is world reknown for food, of every flavor under the rainbow of colors that make up our wonderful city.

Yes, the loft stairs are narrow, but they are managable for most guests. This is why we show the stairs in the marketing pictures so there are no suprises when you check into the Double Queen Loft to Jr. Suite Rooms.

We look forward to your return one day, and will be glad to point you in the direction of all the good eats you can want, and then head you off to the gym to work it off.

Fondly,
Dori

Been to Prytania Park? Share your experiences!