“Qualified to talk about a great value.” 5 of 5 stars

Prytania Park
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1525 Prytania Street, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Ranked #67 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Naperville, Illinois
“Qualified to talk about a great value.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Having been to New Orleans 5 times previously I consider myself qualified to talk about a great value: the Prytania Park. My husband and I stayed there for a week the end of March & beginning of April 2011. There are old rooms and newer ---ours was one of the older: very clean, with armoire in place of a closet (the building dates from 1840) and perfect for the two of us. Our rate for weekdays was $79.00 a day which included free off-the-street parking in a lot adjoining the hotel. My daughter’s family stayed in the business district and paid $48.00 daily for parking, not including tips for the employee who fetched and returned the car! The manager of our hotel, DORI SCHULMAN, is the kind of woman you would love to have as a next-door neighbor: friendly and extremely helpful but never intrusive. We enjoy bringing home (by car) food treasures and she was so helpful pointing us to a wonderful supermarket that carried Creole cream cheese (and gave us a recipe to make it ourselves)! When we loved the coffee we had in our room she offered to order some for us and had it shipped to our home! It arrived yesterday and brought back wonderful memories! (Our room had a coffee-maker, roomy fridge and microwave). What a deal! (Bear in mind this was spring break!) And we are picky.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

473 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

We loved staying here. They have a shuttle that stops several places, most importantly to us, the French Quarter. The staff is friendly and helpful, the St Charles street car is a short walk away, and the location is also convenient to a long walk through the beautiful Garden District, AND close to the Super Dome. I would definitely recommend

• Stayed June 2010
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

For the price and location, I doubt you can beat the Prytania Park. I just spent 3 nights there with a friend, introducing her to the city (I lived in New Orleans, further Uptown, about five years ago) and the hotel was the perfect spot for home base. We actually stayed in a two-story room that was connected with a very narrow spiral staircase (could be treacherous for older or out-of-shape folks!). Very comfortable twin beds with nice bedding. Walk-out balcony onto Prytania (my favorite street). Twin sinks in the bathroom, good temperature regulation in the room (although, like many New Orleans windows, they don't open so when you're gone for the day, keep your ceiling fan for circulation).

Just a block from Coliseum Square in the Lower Garden District (LGD), the hotel is ideally situated for both experiencing Uptown New Orleans (either by taking the St. Charles streetcar up to Audubon or by walking up and down Magazine Street) and the downtown and Quarter. My friend and I are big walkers and we actually walked to the French Quarter (and beyond into the Marigny) from the hotel one morning (about 1 1/4 miles from the hotel to Canal Street, the start of the Quarter). If you do that, and cruise the Quarter throughout the day, you may want to hop on the St. Charles streetcar to head back to the LGD.

You also get free access to the St. Charles Athletic Club gym (my old gym!) which is 1/2 a block from the hotel, although my pal and I preferred to go jogging through the Uptown neighborhoods (the closer you get to the Loyola and Tulane campuses, the less you stand out doing this!). The breakfast buffet leaves much to be desired (it's basically the local brew Community Coffee, some raisin bran, milk and OJ available, and some dry danishes), HOWEVER there are four fabulous morning options just blocks from the hotel. Do not miss breakfast at Surrey's on Magazine Street...also, the Blue Plate Cafe is only two blocks down Prytania from the hotel. A stellar little coffee shop with sandwiches - the Corner Muse - is on Magazine and Terpsichore, just on the other side of Coliseum Square from the hotel. Lastly, Mojo Coffee House is a block past Surrey's on Magazine. Great coffee, hip(ster) vibe.

In my humble opinion, few places on St. Charles Ave are worth it for dining. Seriously. The Delachaise and the Columns might be my only exceptions, but both are quite a walking hike from this hotel. However, Magazine Street is brimming with delicious and very authentic local options. Juan's Flying Burrito, just a few blocks from the hotel, is worth the inevitable wait. My friend - who lived in Santa Fe - said that their red enchilada sauce was the best she'd had in at least 10 years.

Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Go for a NON-festival weekend :)
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

Was in New Orleans to look at Tulane with my daughter. So many hotels in New Orleans are obscenely overpriced, and charges for parking are high. So, I found this place with free parking and free breakfast at a great value in the Garden District. It was just a half block from the St. Charles streetcar. The rooms had gorgeous antique wood flooring, four poster bed and flat screen TV. The bathrooms could use a little updating, and a little paint here and there, but it was spotlessly clean. It is not the most luxurious property, but very, very nice for the price and location. The staff were friendly. The place has personality. I felt safe, and would definitely go back if my daughter chooses Tulane!

• Stayed March 2011
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

We found the hotel easy enough thanks to Garmin. I must confess, I was a bit concerned about the neighborhood when we arrived but it proved unfounded. It was quiet, the parking lot was VERY well lit and I never saw anyone concerning loitering around.

There aren't a lot of frills about this hotel but it proved to be a fine place to stay with my family and I wouldn't object to staying again. The hotel is definately older but it is not in disrepair. The only problem we encountered was a leaky faucet. The hotel toiletries were notably light as well (soap only- shampoo and mouth wash may be requested at front desk.)

Breakfast also had limited choice (juice, pastries, oatmeal, raisin bran, and toast). Oddly enough I loved it though because weather was GORGEOUS and they served breakfast in their little courtyard. The azaleas were blooming and it was proved one of my favorite moments of the trip despite the simplicity.

We ended up getting the room with 2 queen beds- 1 in the loft and the kids LOVED it. The free wireless internet worked well and without incident.

As for a tip:
If you are going to do the street car to the french quarter, it's ok for the experience, but I wouldn't want to repeat. First, the cars only run every 15 minutes. When they did come, they were VERY crowded. In fact, on the return trip, it was so crowded, we couldn't get off before the trolley gave up on us trying to get off and moved on down the track. We finally ended up getting off 2 stops down and walked 5 blocks back to the hotel. Turns out, we could have parked in the french quarter for just a little more than we paid in fares for 4 of us and skipped the waiting and done less walking.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Tyler, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

First off, the location is no where near canal street or bourbon...however, the trolley that takes you straight to the happening part of town is within walking distance and is a pleasant ride into all the fun stuff. Plus, it comes by every 10 minutes or so. However, the hotel itself could have been better. When my husband and I arrived, the room we had reserved online was gone. They had given it to someone else who had walked in and said that our reservation was not valid...even though they charged our credit card. the room we ended up getting was the highest room in this hotel and at night the three staircases that led to our room were unlit, completely dark and VERY creepy. The hot water to our shower literally took 30 minutes to warm up, and when we called the front desk to ask if this was normal...he rudely told us that it was too late at night to do anything about it and we would just have to wait until the morning. Also, this particular weekend lightning struck their power box so the hotel had no electricity for about 5-6 hours...i couldnt believe they didnt have a backup generator, but that incident clearly wasn't there fault. The room was clean though...bathroom was unbelievably small and there was a small door in our room that led to a very creepy attic/storage room. The breakfast was a JOKE. No toasters, no milk. Overall, we wouldnt stay here again, but if a clean place to sleep is what you are looking for...it won't hurt you to stay here.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Hotels3, Manager at Prytania Park, responded to this review, March 19, 2011
Almost 9 mos later, how I remember it well. The comment about the Lightening Strike brought it all back loud and clear. Point by point, my response:

We are within 1 mile of the French Quarter/Bourbon Street location. 16 blocks to be exact. We never profess right near there, but we are close enough to get to and fro by foot, (10 mins speed walking, or 20 mins normal pace), or by streetcar, 10 mins max.

The guest is correct and not correct on the room being given away. The reservation called for a pre payment, and when we were unable to obtain this, we sent an email asking for new payment method. We gave them a time frame, and when we did not hear back, we canceled the reservation without further notice.

They arrived just the same. We showed them the attempted charge of their canceled reservation. This was never transacted, but appeared as a pending charge to which never fully processed due to being declined (for whatever reason, we are not told that). Apparently, this was a debit card and shows instantly.

We had a late cancellation of a Historic Queen room, and it was on the 3rd floor. They re- booked right then and there, and that is when we were paid.

We have 2 - 100 gal rapid recovery commercial size hot water heater for the Historic building. This building has 13 units. When the building is full as it was then, and everyone is taking showers around the same time, yes, the 3rd floor rooms take a bit to get hot, but 30 mins is a slight exaggeration. Maybe 5 mins – 6 at the most. But if you don’t take your shower at peak times, (7-9 am), then there is not an issue.

The lightening hit the transformer on the corner and took out our hotel, along with a 10 square block area. Even if we had a back up generator, that would not have helped, as the entire area was without power. As far as having a back up generator, we are a small property in the middle of a residential/commercial area. Back up generators that would produce enough power to run a 62 room hotel is not allowed in the Historic Garden District due to the emissions it would produce.

When nature takes us out, it is unfortunate, but an act of G-d that is beyond our control. The Front Desk agent they spoke with has since been terminated (for obvious reasons), but given the circumstances, the guest was well aware it was the area, not just us. There was really nothing we could have done but wait until it came back on. But in our heat and humidity, I am sure it was uncomfortable, and we did apologize to all our guest for the experience. I remember it well as it took out our entire phone system and wireless internet system.

Their bathroom was small, but not unbearable. We hope to be renovating the Historic bathrooms this year. But as the guest stated, the rooms and bathrooms are clean. That is always a good sign that the property is well cared for.

Breakfast, it is Complimentary, and its an Expanded menu. We offer Fresh pasties (4 different flavors), Raisin Bran cereal, 2 or 3 different breads for toast w/a variety of jams and honey and butter, Oatmeal and Grits that you self make with hot water, coffee/tea, and juice. We do have milk for the cereal and oatmeal, and coffee.

In the lobby, by the coffee station, we have a Microwave, a 4 slice toaster, We also have trays to take back breakfast to you room, if you desire so you can use your own in room microwave. Otherwise, you can sit in the courtyard where we have tables and chairs throughout.

I wish this guest the best during their travels in the future, and understand, that no one fools with Mother Nature, it can happen anywhere, at anytime, and even the big box hotels with back up generators are held hostage when Mother Nature speaks!

Fondly,
Dori H Schulman
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

Stayed at the Prytania Park hotel this past week leading up to Mardi Gras. As a young person, I was looking for great location at a great cost. When I travel, I adventure, and so usually spend very little time in a room. I did pick the Historic Queen, as I love old architecture and would much rather prefer to be in a hotel with it's own character rather than a chain hotel. This hotel did not disappoint! The room was gorgeous with exposed brick walls, wooden floors, a a very comfortable bed. Here's what I liked an disliked:

Liked:

- The cleanliness of the room. NO BED BUGS. In fact, no bugs anywhere, not even a fly. Our room was always cleaned every day, bed made and fresh linens and towels.
- The service. Friendly staff at the front desk, always willing to help with calling cabs, giving advice, etc.
- The location. PERFECT for the Mardi Gras parades, which go down St. Charles. It's a 30 second walk to the St. Charles street car as well, which will take you into the French Quarter in about 5 - 10 minutes. A warning though - while the St. Charles street car runs 24 hours a day, after dinner and into the evening you can wait up to an hour between streetcars. Do not depend on it as we did in the evening - take a cab, it's about 8 dollars into the quarter. Also, the area is incredibly safe. We walked around at night and in the day, into the garden district and down on Magazine behind the building frequently to hit up a great breakfast spot called Surreys. I never once felt unsafe. There are some run down buildings, but a lot are boarded up and the area is incredibly wealthy for the most part.
- Great free amenities. There is a free computer in the lobby, you can even print for free. The wifi works great in the rooms, so if you need to check e-mails or check for directions/websites of tours and restuarants in the city, you can do so painlessly.

Dislikes
- The shower stall was incredibly small in our room. So much so that you could barely wash your hair and lather without all the soap going right down the drain before you got a chance. I'm 5'3 and 120 pounds and I barely fit comfortably - so larger people could definitely have issue. Also, take your own towels. The towels are very small and thin, and although changed every day, made for an uncomfortable dry.
- The noise. I'm a light sleeper and I found the walls incredibly thin. We could hear everything our neighbours were saying and doing, luckily they weren't loud into the night, however. If you get a room on the ground level next to the courtyard, you will likely have people sitting outside your room at all hours, and light sleepers could be distrubed easily. If this is you, you may want to request a room away from the lobby and courtyard.
- There's no safe in the room, although you can use a safety despoit box at the front desk. I was nervous at first, but none of my stuff was ever touched or moved, not even my personal belongings, in the week I was there, so nothing to complain about other than the peace of mind factor. Use the front desk if you are nervous.
-Distance from the French Quarter. Mind you, I would never stay in the French Quarter - you'd never get any sleep! The cab ride back and forth at night got pricy and it's a long walk.
- The breakfast, although I understand it's continental and it did the trick. As I'm on vacation and not a morning person, I missed it 5 out of the 6 times, as it only goes to 9 am. If you miss it or want something more substantial, walk out to St. Charles, turn left and go about 2 blocks. Cross the street to the "Please U Restuarant". It's a little greasy spoon that has incredibly good, incredibly cheap all day breakfast.

Overall I loved the hotel and would stay again. You can't beat the price and the location. Enjoy your stay in beautiful New Orleans!

Overall I loved the hotel and would stay again. Be

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Prytania Park? Share your experiences!