“This is the way I'd always pictured the French Quarter....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Provincial

You added Hotel Provincial to your Saves list
Hotel Provincial
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1024 Rue Chartres, New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)   |
Ranked #23 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Michigan
“This is the way I'd always pictured the French Quarter....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

This historic hotel is dripping with old New Orleans charm and I would stay here again. Valet parking is on site, which I appreciated, as I didn't have to worry about the location of my car. The original room we were given had a balcony, with a floor to ceiling window for access, which was very cool, however, the room had a horrible moldy odor that the air conditioner just couldn't overcome. After two nights of sleeping with my head under the sheet so I couldn't smell that odor, I spoke with some of the other guests and found that none of them had a complaint. I asked at the front desk for a different room, explaining the problem, and they were very curtious and offered us a choice of two different rooms. We moved within 20 minutes and were extremely happy that we did. Although the second room didn't have the balcony, it had a ceiling fan (wonderful) and a small courtyard with a table and chairs. The staff was friendly and helpful, with a great knowledge of the restaurants and local activities...I loved them. If you go, be sure to compare prices on the bus tours and with a GPS, it's an easy drive to some of the plantations. Admission is about $15, while a bus tour is about $50. Be sure to go to Willie Mae's Scotch House for lunch...the best fried chicken in the world!

P

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Polish first
Hialeah Gardens, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

I loved staying at this hotel! Check in was a breeze, Friendly staff, and friendly ghost :-)
The room was nice and spacious, clean, and quiet, even though we were right in front of the courtyard. Beautiful setting. Great location, just a few blocks from rowdy Bourbon Street. Safe neighborhood. I would definitely stay here again. Only this time i would try and book the supposedly haunted building 5.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

This was our 3rd stay at the Provincial and it did not disappoint. We are spoiled by the convenient location, just a few blocks from most places you want to go in the Quarter. In the heat, it is very nice to be able to go back to the room and freshen up without hiking too far. The parking lot in the middle of the property is another convenience. We stayed in the Petite Suite this time and it slept the 5 of us quite comfy. The staff is nice and helpful. They came pretty quickly to bring us more towels when we returned to our room after 11:00 pm.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

This was an excellent base for our long weekend in New Orleans. This adorable hotel located in a quiet part of the French Quarter (just 2 blocks from all of the hubbub) has such character and charm! We were part of a large wedding party and had a chance to look at several rooms all in different parts of the hotel. Each one was unique and lovely. I stayed in a room off of the main courtyard with two friends. The room had two full beds, was spacious and clean, and they even brought us a refrigerator (which I had requested at booking) for no charge! The staff was always friendly and extremely helpful. Make sure to roam around the property a bit. There are lots of little hidden courtyards (our favorite being the tiny "grotto" pool).

This is exactly where I want to be next time I travel to New Orleans!

A couple of other recommendations:
**The Audubon Zoo--Go there! It is on the opposite side of town (20-30 minutes) but the most beautiful zoo I've ever seen.
**Do NOT take a tour from those flakes with the skull fans! Seriously...gack. I'm leaving a negative review for them soon.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

We have visited New Orleans 13 times over the past 20 years and last stayed at The Provincial about 10 years ago.we had considered staying there again in 2007 but our tour advisor said there had been some security problems so we stayed elsewhere.
This time we decided to take a chance and book The Provincial.Our room was in the main building,was a reasonable size but the decor was a bit 'tired' - but the pool and courtyard areas were very good.Our main problem with the room was that in looked out onto Chartres Street and suffered from traffic noise late at night and early mornings.
Unlike a previous complaint the air con worked ok in our room.
Initially disappointed that there was no longer any hotel breakfast restaurant but the free continental breakfast made up for this.
Our main disappointment was not the hotel but the fact that,outside of the Jazz Fest dates,there is very little live jazz to be found - apart from the excellent Palm Court Restaurant/Nightclub on Decatur.
Also a combination of Katrina & recession seems to have hit New Orleans badly with closing some of our favourite eateries closing, many shops missing from River Walk Shopping Mall and the demise of the main music stores.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

Most reviews cover the pros and cons pretty well. I like the atmosphere. It is close to the French Market. Dining etc in the area is varied and you can do pretty well. The levee street car is close. The rooms to the rear of the property are serviced by an elevator.
Rooms really need updating. At least with furnishings that are not so worn. I enjoyed my stay but the Provincial would not be my first pick in the Quarter. Courtyard behind the office is nice. My key comment however is: What A Great Staff.

Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Wonder Lake, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

I am an avid New Orleans traveler - have been there 50+ times. We have stayed at probably just as many hotels and B & Bs in the town as well. After reading these reviews I was very excited to stay there for Jazz Fest. But I have to say I was a little disappointed. There were some positivies - good service, beautiful grounds (pools, courtyard) and in a great neighboorhood where you were close enough to the action but a little quieter for relaxing at the end of the day. But the rooms are nothing to write home about. Maybe it's because I have stayed at so many places and have many to compare this to. But the room looked a little run down, even a little dirty and so were the hallways, elevator, etc. I stayed in building 5, 4th floor. Bed wasn't very comfortable. So for $229 a night I didn't think it was worth the money. Maybe $149/night.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Provincial? Share your experiences!