“Perfect base to begin a New Orleans adventure” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Royal Orleans

Save Saved
You added Omni Royal Orleans to your Saves list
Omni Royal Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   621 St. Louis Street, New Orleans, LA 70140 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #6 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Louisville, KY
“Perfect base to begin a New Orleans adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

The Omni Royal Orleans Hotel is located in a fantastic location, and offers the best balance of convenience, service, elegance and exposure to all things New Orleans. Situated only one block from Bourbon Street, it's in a great position to offer its guests all the smells, sounds and spectacles of one of the world's most famous party headquarters - while providing it's guests a welcome buffer of safety and comfort at the same time.

Every one of the staff I encountered was helpful, courteous and professional. I felt like a respected guest. Though my girlfriend handled the nuts-and-bolts of the money matters with the front desk, and had a couple minor miscues in doing so over our 48 hour stay, I found the Omni Royal Orleans to be a good value overall for the dollars spent. The valet guys were friendly and fast. The concierge Don, helped me with several things, and bellman Albert was friendly, smiling and professional in every way. My impression was that each of them was there to serve – and that they appreciated my business. That’s exactly how I like to be treated when I get the precious opportunity to travel and get out of the grind for a few days.

The wireless internet service was slow, but stable. It’s available for a fee or comes packaged with some rooms and plans. There is a business room with a couple computers and printers. Printing was a bit of a hassle, but hotel staff made that work out just fine when I asked for their help.

Our room was very clean, and the furnishings ranged from nice to impressive. Since I’m a guy, I don’t care so much about beautiful furniture or upholstery, but I was struck by how elegant even the sheets and bedspread was. The attention to detail, and the quality of carpet, shutters, bathroom fixtures, towels…everything, made it feel like we were honored guests in a first-class hotel.

We were able to walk, easily, to the Superdome, Harrah’s, Café du Monde, the Natchez dock, Riverwalk, World Trade Center, Pontalba/Jackson Square, and of course all the shops, restaurants and sights of Bourbon, Canal, Toulouse, Decatur, etc. I even sprung a last-minute arrangement on my girlfriend to take a Katrina-related bus tour, from Gray Line Tours, and we were able to basically sprint there in seconds, because the terminal was so close to the hotel. (I highly recommend that tour as well, but that review is for another location.)

As a quick aside, I know there are some who may wonder if it’s ‘dangerous’ place – New Orleans, that is – due to the few sensational stories or news reports that they’ve heard – probably quite old stories at that. I can’t speak for the whole city, but I can tell you that with the time we spent in the Quarter (and in all other areas of Louisiana for that matter), I never felt threatened or even concerned. Of course, that’s all relative – I’m a 44 year old, 230 pound man, and I keep my concealed carry permit with a nice gloss on it, at all times – always keeping my eyes open, and listening to my gut when going to new places. We were often approached by people on the street looking for a few bucks. But, to me and my girlfriend, that was just another way to get to know people in the city – we planned for this, and always had some cash in hand, as well as questions and best wishes for those who came to us. As far as threatening situations, we didn’t encounter any, but like any major metropolitan area in the world, I’m sure that you can find them here. We didn’t at all.

From our 2nd floor, Royal Street balcony, we were lavished with constant and ever-changing live music that wafted gently upwards - including a fantastic harmonizing trio of men, guitarists, a pianist (who had rolled his upright into the street on a cart), and various instrument/vocalist ensembles. Morning and night, wonderful, living music fluttered through the air, to connect us to the city, and to the heart and soul of New Orleans. Were any of these musicians ready for a thirty city world tour? Perhaps not. Were all of them, offering, their gift of art and conscience, free to whoever might share it with them, in the way that truly represents the essence of culture, and the best of life? Absolutely.

(This was not music blaring from bars or restaurants, nor was it ever negatively intrusive, it was from musicians who would come to the corner of the street beneath our balcony, play for a time for tips, and move on.)

As the sounds drifted up, so did the smells, including the fragrance of the best gumbo I’ve ever eaten, courtesy of the Royal House Oyster Bar. Of course, there are several restaurants surrounding the hotel, and there was no shortage of seductive scents – each of which would lead a trail back to a boiling pot of something wonderful, or a grill or broiler, throwing it’s taste temptations into the wind. Smoked sausage, fried oysters, crawfish étouffée and even a slice of banana’s Foster cheesecake were just a few of the free smell samples that got the better of me, from the balcony of our room.

Between the smells and the sounds available, I quickly felt ‘dialed-in’ to the city – wonderfully immersed and personally touched by a place that could just as easily be shrieking in pain, as inviting me to celebrate life with her. I’ve travelled a good deal in my life, and in some cities and hotels, I’ve felt insulated or disconnected for one reason or another, from the ‘pulse’ of the community. But the way that New Orleans seemed to warmly offer herself up, particularly on the corner of Royal and St. Louis, I don’t think I’ll ever forget. With my girlfriend, I’ve been overusing the term ‘organic’ to describe things that just seem to fit naturally and almost effortlessly – but since I haven’t yet worn the term out with those who might read this review – let me just tell ya, that the Omni provided an almost instantaneous organic setting for enjoying the city.

****

Perhaps it’s way off-topic, or far too sentimental to share with the public, but as I get older, I realize I’m not gonna be on this rock forever – and I’d rather leave the world with the imprint of my passion than the polite safety of silence…so having said THAT – this was my first trip to downtown New Orleans since 1995. I turned 40 early September in 2005 and felt sick and helpless at a party that was thrown for me, while we all watched the news of the ongoing crisis in NOLA. I personally got so fed up that I pushed and clawed to make my way south, and finally got as far as Colombia, MS with the Red Cross. Even spending a couple weeks doing what I could to help, it just seemed like there was no way to make much difference to help the lives of fellow Americans whose lives had been turned upside down.

Still in 2009, to me, it remains a mystery what I can personally do to make life better for others who are unquestionably, trying to rebuild from the mess four years ago. I realize the scale of the damage, and the scope of human suffering is enormous, yet it’s in my heart to somehow share some love with people I don’t know – and to try to contribute to their sense of hope and future. As we visited many parts of the city and state over the last few days, we got an opportunity to put money directly into the hands of those who are living and working there. It was a privilege to not only support the bricks-and-mortar-based businesses throughout the area, who provide jobs and benefits to Louisiana residents, but an equally great honor to get to provide the smallest bit of tangible thanks and encouragement to the musicians, mystics and wanderers who call New Orleans their home.

I was touched by the life that refuses to quit there – and the uniquely NOLA courage, beauty and art that comes from the heart of the city. The Omni Royal Orleans, as well as the surrounding businesses, gave me a way to not only experience the best of New Orleans, but also a small way to give back to the community at the same time. I encourage others who may feel the same way that I do to consider the city and this hotel in particular, for their dollars, when making upcoming travel plans.

I’m not suggesting for a second that this hotel is perfect, or represents an enlightened pathway to the restoration of Louisiana. I am however, urging other travelers to consider this hotel and general area as not only a great way to enjoy the very best of the Mardi Gras spirit, but as a legitimate and sustainable way to help real Americans who live on the ground there, stay employed and hopeful as they rebuild their lives. A good hotel like this is an anchor for many other businesses, jobs, progress and hope. The Omni is worthy of your discretionary travel funds on all counts.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Orleans, responded to this review, September 17, 2009
We have never read a review that encapsulates the feelings that so many people in New Orleans had and still have throughout this rebuilding effort. We would rather not dilute the words that you so carefully crafted in your review by writing a lengthy response. Simply put we appreciate your support and we’re honored to be part of your New Orleans. We hope your review will inspire other people to visit the city.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
dublin,ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

We stayed 2 nights at the omni royal in md-august. While the hotel is obviously very old,it added to the atmosphere and ambience imo. Our room was quite small but it had a balcony facing out onto royal st. It was great to just sit on the balcony with a coffee and watch the various forms of streetlife unfold beneath you. The bar on the roof is a great spot for a few beers before heading out and the view is spectacular. The hotel also has a bar around the corner on royal st. called Touche. We drank here a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Sadly it was nearly empty both times but the bar staff were excellent.

The hotel do charge for wifi but i joined their loyalty scheme and you get complimentary internet access as a privilige. This applies to all their hotels.

For location,service and atmosphere i'd definitely return here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
The balcony rooms are great for that true French Quarter atmosphere. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate you uploading photos as well. It’s great for other TripAdvisor readers to see more photos than those we have online. We hope you will stay with us again soon.
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

I recently stayed at the Omni with my boyfriend on our first trip to New Orleans. Let me start off by saying the hotel has an amazing location right in the French Quarter only a few blocks from Bourbon street and Jackson Square. The Staff was very nice and accommodating. But our room was a little small and the hotel itself seemed a little old/ rundown. Considering the hotel is a four star hotel and came highly recommended I was a little disappointed that the rooms were not nicer. It was also really loud with people coming and going and slamming their doors. All in all, the hotel was ok and not too expensive but I expected a little more considering it was rated so highly.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Orleans, responded to this review, September 4, 2009
We’re glad you loved our location, but sorry that you didn’t enjoy the rooms. You’ll be happy to know that we are in the process of upgrading the entire hotel with renovations scheduled to be completed next year. We hope you will come back for the location and try out our new rooms. We look forward to seeing you.
Baton Rouge, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

We live about 1 hour from New Orleans & have a French Quarter getaway every couple of months. This was our first stay at the Royal Orleans. The hotel has an authentic elegance about it. We especially liked the rooftop pool, bar & observation deck. However, the petite queen room was extremely small, and the bed was sagging & uncomfortable. We'll ask for a larger room next time. In all fairness, we didn't report the bed problem to management & give them an opportunity to move us to a different room. I see from an earlier management response that they are addressing the room size and bed comfort issues in an upcoming renovation. We'll go back after it's done, because the hotel is otherwise outstanding.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
We’re glad you enjoyed the hotel, but sorry that the bed and room size were not what you were looking for. We would have tried our best to move you to a larger room, but unfortunately the bed would have been the same. We should have the renovation completed next year and we would love to see you back at the hotel.
Kitchener
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

Before reading my review, please note that the Omni was our second hotel during the same trip to New Orleans and it was a winner!
We arrived on a Thursday of a 'booked solid' weekend, to request a room after having left other quarters in the CBD. The young man at the front desk could not have been more accommodating and helpful. Not only did we get a room at an excellent rate, but he went out of his way to help us find a room which suited our needs. You see, I wanted a bright room and we got it.
Our room was large, pleasant and faced St Louis street. As some previous posters have noted, the bedding could use updating, and frankly a little more furniture in the room would be helpful -- it is hard to have a laptop, travel books, personal items etc with only one desk/table to put items on. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom, while small, is well designed to maximize use of the available space.

The hotel is in an ideal location! Despite the August heat and humidity, our proximity to everything that matters in the French Quarter and the CBD, enabled us to walk everywhere -- returning to our retreat to shower, cool off and head out again!
The rooftop pool is great and was a welcome respite.

If we had one complaint, it would be the WiFi. Reception was so bad, that we finally gave up on it -- if you had reception, it would disconnect at random due to the low signal strength. We did obtain a booster from the front desk, but that was only marginally helpful.

It is the staff that make this hotel. Everyone, from doorman, to bell persons, to front desk, to housekeeping -- were exceptionally considerate, helpful and friendly.
While the rooms could use some small elements to make them truly four star -- I would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to stay in New Orleans. I certainly know we will when we make a return visit soon.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to write a review of your stay. Sounds like your time in New Orleans was great. When the weather is that humid, it’s nice to be close to the hotel for a quick shower. We are working to increase the WiFi signal in the hotel. We have noticed that some rooms have better signal than others. This is due to the thickness of the walls in the hotel as the building is historic. Unfortunately what you gain in peace and quiet does not help you get a better wireless signal, but we are trying to improve the signal in all the guest rooms. Our staff is wonderful and we’re glad that they made your stay worthwhile. Please visit us again soon.
Newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

This place is fantastic - like a dream. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left the staff were fantastic - could not do enough for you. The RIb Room was a highlight - the food and service are second to none. The pool and bar area are great after a hot day out and about and the location is fantastic - literally a hop, skip and jump to Bourbon Street. The rooms were a great size and extremely clean. Fantastic hotel, fantastic city. Can't wait to return!!!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
OmniRoyalOrleans, Management at Omni Royal Orleans, responded to this review, August 21, 2009
Thank you so very much for the fantastic review! We are delighted you had a wonderful experience visiting New Orleans and that the Rib Room and the Omni Royal Orleans Hotel were highlights of that experience. We can't wait to welcome you back again!
Toledo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

We recently stayed the night at the Royal Omni. The location is great. I found our room to be a decent size. We had a king bed and a great view of Royal St. I do find that their bedding does need to be updated and the bathrooms were a little small. However the customer service that we encountered on our visit was wonderful. I had problems with the bathtub draing while I was showering and they sent maintenance up right away. He then showed me how to work the drain in the tub. It was different than what I have seen before. They even had the front desk call a little later to make sure that everything was ok with the bathtub. This hotel has a beautiful roof top pool with a bar. The view from the roof is amazing. I also heard that the restaurant at the hotel is supposed to be fabulous. We did not eat there but we walked by and the food did look amazing. I really enjoyed my stay here and would stay here every time I visit New Orleans.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
We are delighted to read of your experience at the Omni Royal Orleans Hotel. Thank you for acknowledging the attentive service of our engineering and front desk associates, as well as the amazing rooftop pool bar and its view. We certainly hope you will have the opportunity to dine with us in the Rib Room when next you return to us. It would be lovely to share the Rib Room experience with you! Please know, we are scheduled to upgrade all of our bedding as part of a full room renovation in Fall/Winter 2009-2010. We hope this will be to your liking and can't wait to see you again!

Been to Omni Royal Orleans? Share your experiences!