“First Time In New Orleans” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Royal Orleans

You added Omni Royal Orleans to your Saves list
Omni Royal Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   621 St. Louis Street, New Orleans, LA 70140 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #6 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
A TripAdvisor Member
“First Time In New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2005

First Time in New Orleans -- Loved my short stay.

The Omni Royal Orleans was excellent - close to shopping, Bourbon Street, St. Louis Catheral, great restaurants and points of interest.

Had breakfast and dinner in Rib Room restaurant and the food was delicious and the service was great. Waiters were very pleasant did not incounter any of the staff to be rude.

Only thing the rooms are small and the bathrooms are even smaller. But who stays in their rooms when there is so much to see. Can't wait to go back to New Orleans.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2005

Just got back from New Orleans and we had a great time! The Omni Royal is a great hotel. We were treated like royalty and the hotel was incredible. Our room overlooked the courtyard which was very nice. We even watched a wedding on Saturday night in the courtyard. The hotel is what you expect out of a highly rated hotel. Incredible staff, beautiful setting, and prime location. It is a very classy place and decorated each day with huge arragments of fresh flowers. Even the parking garage was nice, with carpet and plants and benches. You feel real safe here, compared to some parts of the French Quarter and you are withing walking distance of almost everything. I will stay here again and recommend you do as well. Also, we took the the Lincoln Town Car survice at the airport (only $7 more than a cab) and well worth it. If you want they will give you a great history lesson and point out all the great sites along the way. We took a cab at other times and fear for our lives. The cabs are old and the drivers we had were crazy. Our driver was doing 93 mph on the way to airport! Yikes!

Houston, Tx
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2005

Upon arrival, receptionist was not very nice. She wasn't entirely rude but just had that "i really don't want to be so who cares if you need to check-in" attitude. The other receptionist (standing next to her) was much nicer to the guest he was helping. After completing the check-in process, I actually had to ask her if I was done because she didn't say anything. She just gave me my room keys and started doing something else.

When my husband and I got to our room, (the guy who handled our bags was VERY nice however) the room was TINY! (I had spoken to a reservations rep before booking the room on-line and he told me that "European" room was the code word for "small" so I figured we must be in one of the european rooms. Which is ok, but I paid for a Deluxe room!

Then we noticed there was an open drink on the side table with papers (New Orleans guide books). So my husband looked in the bathroom and saw that someone had poored some of the coke from the coke bottle in the sink.... so basically the room was dirty.

So I went down to speak to the receptionist. At first they just called the maid to go into the room to do a "touch-up" but then the girl who initially was not very interested in her job actually told the other girl to give us another room (but that's probably because she knew she tried to cheat us by giving us the smaller room when we paid for the larger room).

The new room was much bigger and much nicer (it was clean!). After this our stay was very pleasant.... except for the constant early-morning knocking of the mini-bar attendant. She kept asking if we took anything out of the mini-bar or drank any coffee.... I was like, please, leave us alone!

Even with those problems, I would probably stay there again because it's a nice hotel. If it weren't for the problems I encountered, the stay would have been much better. Great location. Pretty good concierge service.

• Stayed June 2005
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2005

Stayed in this hotel for 4 nights - got a really good deal <$130 per night!

We had a standard room on the 4th floor which was quiet, pleasant, not very big by USA standards but fine for a short break.

On arrival the doorman (sorry - don't know is name) was absolutely wonderful! Throughout our stay he remembered our name and always had a smile for us - I think he should start up his own business training people in the service industry!!!! :)

The pool bar area was really nice - the only complaint there was that it closed at dusk (about 7.30pm ish) and also during heavy rain, we found that quite disappointing.

The location of the Omni was really good... round the corner from Bourbon, Royal, and Decatur.

One final thing... we did eat at the Hotel Restaurant, the Rib Room - it was very bad - service & food was awful so - in my opinion - as long as you avoid that place you will really enjoy the Omni!

• Stayed June 2005
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2005

My fiance and I just returned from the Omni Royal and really loved it! We usually stay at Ritz/Four Seasons and W Hotels though they were sold out so we booked the Omni. The reasons why we loved this hotel were: 1) Amazing Pool! We love a vacation to take time to hang out by the pool before or after sightseeing and this was heavenly. When it's 90 degrees outside - it's needed! 2) Great location - right across the street from 2 of our favorite restaurants we ate it - Nola's (emeril's newest) and K-Paul's - Paul Prudhomme's famous restaurant. Hotel location can't be beat - right in the heart of the French Quarter. If you are going to New Orleans, you are going to have alot of noise and that's just something one deals with in New Orleans. 3) Our room had a gorgeous balcony overlooking the french quarter. Yes, this hotel is not as "new" and trendy as the W or Ritz but for the value of what I paid and for the great pool and location, I really loved staying here. I took the advice of another TripAdvisor reviewer and used my Omni Upgrade Coupon which I forgot I had from registering for their Omni Select Guest program and got upgraded from a small tiny shoebox to a 1 br suite which was normally $750 night (I paid under $200/nt). This was an amazing deal - so get your Omni coupon b/c they WILL upgrade you if an upgraded room is available.

Stayed May 2005
maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Omni for 3 nights. Let me begin by saying that we had begun our vacation in New Orleans 4 days prior to our arrival at the Omni. We were staying at the Ritz. We had planned our trip to stay at the Ritz for 4 nights and the Omni for 3 nights. After staying at the Ritz the move to the Omni was a huge downer. Yes, the Omni had a very nice staff, however, the hotel paled in comparison to the Ritz. At the Omni we had a balcony overlooking Royal St. Let's just say that at 6am when the garbage truck drove by every morning, we were awake. I read all these great things about the Omni which is why I booked the hotel. I just didn't think that the Omni lived up to its expectations. It was a nice hotel although it is very old. The toilet was the type you flush with your foot...no handle. The room was decorated nicely but the room and the bed were far below what we experienced at the Ritz. The pool and city view were nice but I wouldn't base my decision on staying at a hotel for these two amenities. And to top it all off, the Ritz cost us less than the Omni per night. Now, in all fairness, we didn't have a view from our room at the Ritz but we were never up at 6 am due to a garbage truck either. I'm sure the Omni is much better than a lot of hotels in the French Quarter. However, if you are planning a trip to New Orleans...stay at the RITZ. It will be well worth it.

• Stayed May 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2005

My husband and I arrived very late on Thursday, April 28th. We were promptly & graciously greeted by the Doorman, Marty, who carried our suitcases upstairs to the front desk, where we were quickly checked in by a most friendly and patient trainee (I apologize, I didn't catch her name). We went to our beautiful room and unpacked. We spent the next few days scuttling about the Quarter. We always were greeted by smiling faces, never were left with an unanswered question. The pool is lovely and the view from the observation deck is exquisite. Our stay was so enhanced by the perfect accomadations, I can't tell you how happy we were there! I can tell you we will positively stay there again!

Been to Omni Royal Orleans? Share your experiences!