““Old World Charm In Contemporary Style”” 5 of 5 stars

Melrose Mansion
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   937 Esplanade Ave., New Orleans, LA 70116 (Bywater)   |
Ranked #44 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
““Old World Charm In Contemporary Style””
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My Wife and I stayed for 3 nights this past week in the middle of October. The staff were incredibly hospitable, helpful, friendly, and efficient. They will go to any length to make sure your stay is a 5 star experience. This luxury boutique hotel is in beautiful Victorian Gothic style architecture that was originally built in the late 1800”s and turned into a very inviting, charming, contemporary environment in 2011. No detail was overlooked. Don't stay anywhere else in The French Quarter. The hotel is positioned fabulously on Esplanade Avenue with everything within walking distance which is great for someone without a car. We loved it here and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This place is really fantastic. The staff were really friendly and very helpful. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. The continental breakfast had plenty of good stuff to get you started until you could get over to Buffa's for some biscuits and gravy. The location is perfectly close and far enough away from the French Quarter. The pool area is so nice, it will suck you in for hours a day. Of course, a good review is a double edged sword for those of us who want to go back often, but this place is well deserving of all the business they can get. Don't let the ghosts keep you up at night. They played a mean trick on my buddy--they threw his bag of Blue Frog chocolate covered potato chips all over his bed while he was sleeping. At least they have a pretty good sense of humor.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Noosa Heads, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We recently stayed at the Melrose with 30 of our friends for a week and every single person made comment on how impeccable the staff were. They were so obliging, so friendly, and so professional. And....trust, me we were a rowdy bunch. We had our wedding there also, and during the organisation of that, nothing was a problem for team at Melrose. So yes, it is the staff and service that shine at the Melrose, but I must also mention the Hotel itself. It is stunning, with a eclectic mix of modern and antique furniture with every suite being different. The suites on the top floor of the main house are exceptional and are character filled, yet still super clean and polished. Also the hotel is in the perfect location, right on the edge of the French Quarter. Everything is within walking distance, but you aren't amoungst the all night riff raff. I can't recommend the hotel enough, and think you would be crazy to choose anywhere else.

Room Tip: All the rooms are fabulous but my favourites are the rooms in main house.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2014 via mobile

I was visiting my daughter who lives in the Marigny and she picked this hotel for me. A beautiful converted mansion with some additional converted houses attached. It is beautifully restored and decorated in a relaxed neutral sophisticated style that I love. The room was massive with a large separate seating area. Breakfast is not extensive but is enough to tide you over until brunch. The evening wine time is a little on the early side but still a nice touch. Staff were low key but helpful. The pool was a stunning oasis. I'll be back for sure.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
General M, General Manager at Melrose Mansion, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Marybeth58!
Thank you! Thank you! We always love hearing how our guests enjoy the beautiful surroundings of the Melrose Mansion. The pool is one of my favorites – if only I could take it home with me. We cannot wait to host you again on your next visit with your daughter!
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

First time to NOLA and Melrose Mansion just set the bar very.. VERY high. Hotel is beautiful, staff is super friendly. Architecture and design are gorgeous and the pool is extra big. Can't wait to come back to NOLA and will most likely stay here again. Best way to experience the French Quarter!

Stayed August 2014
General M, General Manager at Melrose Mansion, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
We are thrilled that your first trip to our lovely city was a success, and even more so that the Melrose Mansion team was able to truly add to that experience. We anxiously await your return!

Lake Worth FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Beautiful Suite - We opted for an upgraded room and stayed in the 2nd floor suite. It was huge with a living room, dining room, separate bedroom, full size kitchen and 2 balconies. I thought everything in New Orleans was small, but this was very large and furnished with nice, updated furnishings.

Service - The compound which makes up the hotel is actually a couple of buildings. We were escorted to our suite. We had an issue with a door not locking properly which was quickly addressed. The suite was clean.

Location Just Right - We've visited New Orleans a number of times and aren't interested in time on Bourbon St. This was much better for us to hit Frenchman's St. (where the locals go for music). It felt safe and not crowded. A couple of good restaurants, Buffas and Port of Call, are on the same block.

Why not 5 stars?

It was noisy in the morning. The windows are very old and every conversation on the street could be heard clearly. We could hear the maintenance man on his phone and the leaf blower fired up early too. It sounded like there was trash pick up every day as well.

It would have been nice if the pool room (connected to the pool where breakfast is also served) had towels available as well as a hamper for after a swim.

The room only had two bath towels. We stopped by the front office and asked for 2 more and the gentleman at the desk gave us 2 more, but he seemed almost bothered by it, telling us 2 towels are standard for a 2 person room. When I take advantage of the huge jetted bathtub at night, I want another towel for in the morning.

Breakfast was a bowl sitting on the counter with yogurt in it and some boxes of cereal. We picked breakfast to go at Buffas. We didn't stay here for breakfast, so not a big deal, but just offer coffee if you aren't going to really try.

The tub/shower set up was fine for us. Other than one banged toe on the door, we were able to get in and out. If you were short, or older with bad hips, it would be impossible to use. The ledge was 2 to 3 feet tall. There was a glass partition with an opening too small to sit and swing around into the tub. You had to step over the side to get in. Certainly a consideration for some guests.

I love that we had a kitchen, but it should have had some supplies. There was no hand soap or towel at the sink. We had a dishwasher, but no dishwasher soap pods.

Room Tip: 2nd floor suite is like an apartment - great space! But shower/tub is not easily accessible for shor...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and the suggestions as well. We are currently in the process of re-purposing the Media Room and will definitely take your idea of towel service in mind! I have also discussed your concern of in-room towels with our operations team, and have asked that the total amount in the Residential Suites be upped. Hopefully we will see you again next year for a follow up birthday weekend!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

I have been to New Orleans several times for work and I have to say, I wasn't really that impressed. I stayed in really lovely chain hotels, but didn't get to see much of the true NOLA. My husband and I decided to meet friends in New Orleans for a 4 day trip. We decided that we didn't want to do a chain hotel; we wanted something that really felt like New Orleans. I searched for many weeks - we we going to do a private rental, but ultimately decided on Melrose Mansion. I checked TripAdvisor and other places for reviews and they all seemed to overwhelmingly positive.

When you walk up to Melrose Mansion, it looks like a grand New Orleans home, with the floor to ceiling windows/shutters and beautiful hardwood floors. The check in process was more like friends sitting down in your living room. I sat down and reviewed paperwork and they went to the back to check me in while we sipped on wine. We were then escorted to see the highlights of the place, and then to our room.

I should not call it a room, I should call it an apartment! We were not in the main house. It appears they purchased another row house on the block (connected in the back via a breezeway). My husband and I splurged on the Residential Executive One Bedroom Suite. It was simply amazing. Dark hardwood floors with white walls and white furniture. The white walls complimented the art on the walls. There was a full kitchen (although we never used it!), a powder room, a master bedroom and a master bathroom with the most wonderful marble and glass shower. It also had a great soaker tub. The Suite was totally New Orleans, without the frilly flowers or stuffy feel. The people the renovated this place kept all the bones and essence of New Orleans and put it into a luxurious and sleek package. My husband said it was the best hotel he ever stayed in! We always had our friends come down to our room, because it felt like we had so much space that we should entertain!

All of the amenities you'd expect in a hotel room where there. The room was cleaned impeccably and we had no issues with the front desk. We only needed them twice - our bags arrived late (and they helped bring them to our room) and we asked them to call a cab (which they were more than happy to do). They were always there, but remained respectfully invisible, which we definitely appreciated.

We didn't get a car, and Melrose Mansion is situated perfectly between the French Quarter / Bourbon Street and Frenchmen. We got to Frenchmen in about 5-6 blocks. As for going towards Bourbon, that's a little more of a hike. You're talking about 12 blocks to Cafe Du Monde, and about 15 blocks to Bourbon. I may be off a little bit, but it's about a 10-15 minute walk. We were absolutely fine with walking, but if you're tired (or have heels on!), it's a quick 3-4 minute cab ride. I felt like we were in the perfect location.

I saw / did so many wonderful things on this trip to NOLA and I really saw it in a new light. I also wished I had more time to just sit around my Suite and enjoy it more! We will absolutely go back to New Orleans and will MOST DEFINITELY stay at Melrose Mansion!

Room Tip: Rooms/Suites in the adjacent house (919 Esplanade) are super quiet and feel more like apartments. Yo...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Melrose Mansion, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Kim_Better_Thompson!
We could not have described our lovely Mansion better. Our team is so proud that our personalized approach to service ensured a great experience for you and your husband. We aim to serve and it is our continued pleasure to exceed the expectations of each of our valued guests!
1A, your Residential Executive Suite, is among our favorites. We knew you would love it!
General Manager – Melrose Mansion

Been to Melrose Mansion? Share your experiences!