“Amazing!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 146 New Orleans B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Amazing!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

First time to NOLA and Melrose Mansion just set the bar very.. VERY high. Hotel is beautiful, staff is super friendly. Architecture and design are gorgeous and the pool is extra big. Can't wait to come back to NOLA and will most likely stay here again. Best way to experience the French Quarter!

Stayed August 2014
General M, General Manager at Melrose Mansion, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
We are thrilled that your first trip to our lovely city was a success, and even more so that the Melrose Mansion team was able to truly add to that experience. We anxiously await your return!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Lake Worth FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Beautiful Suite - We opted for an upgraded room and stayed in the 2nd floor suite. It was huge with a living room, dining room, separate bedroom, full size kitchen and 2 balconies. I thought everything in New Orleans was small, but this was very large and furnished with nice, updated furnishings.

Service - The compound which makes up the hotel is actually a couple of buildings. We were escorted to our suite. We had an issue with a door not locking properly which was quickly addressed. The suite was clean.

Location Just Right - We've visited New Orleans a number of times and aren't interested in time on Bourbon St. This was much better for us to hit Frenchman's St. (where the locals go for music). It felt safe and not crowded. A couple of good restaurants, Buffas and Port of Call, are on the same block.

Why not 5 stars?

It was noisy in the morning. The windows are very old and every conversation on the street could be heard clearly. We could hear the maintenance man on his phone and the leaf blower fired up early too. It sounded like there was trash pick up every day as well.

It would have been nice if the pool room (connected to the pool where breakfast is also served) had towels available as well as a hamper for after a swim.

The room only had two bath towels. We stopped by the front office and asked for 2 more and the gentleman at the desk gave us 2 more, but he seemed almost bothered by it, telling us 2 towels are standard for a 2 person room. When I take advantage of the huge jetted bathtub at night, I want another towel for in the morning.

Breakfast was a bowl sitting on the counter with yogurt in it and some boxes of cereal. We picked breakfast to go at Buffas. We didn't stay here for breakfast, so not a big deal, but just offer coffee if you aren't going to really try.

The tub/shower set up was fine for us. Other than one banged toe on the door, we were able to get in and out. If you were short, or older with bad hips, it would be impossible to use. The ledge was 2 to 3 feet tall. There was a glass partition with an opening too small to sit and swing around into the tub. You had to step over the side to get in. Certainly a consideration for some guests.

I love that we had a kitchen, but it should have had some supplies. There was no hand soap or towel at the sink. We had a dishwasher, but no dishwasher soap pods.

Room Tip: 2nd floor suite is like an apartment - great space! But shower/tub is not easily accessible for shor...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and the suggestions as well. We are currently in the process of re-purposing the Media Room and will definitely take your idea of towel service in mind! I have also discussed your concern of in-room towels with our operations team, and have asked that the total amount in the Residential Suites be upped. Hopefully we will see you again next year for a follow up birthday weekend!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

I have been to New Orleans several times for work and I have to say, I wasn't really that impressed. I stayed in really lovely chain hotels, but didn't get to see much of the true NOLA. My husband and I decided to meet friends in New Orleans for a 4 day trip. We decided that we didn't want to do a chain hotel; we wanted something that really felt like New Orleans. I searched for many weeks - we we going to do a private rental, but ultimately decided on Melrose Mansion. I checked TripAdvisor and other places for reviews and they all seemed to overwhelmingly positive.

When you walk up to Melrose Mansion, it looks like a grand New Orleans home, with the floor to ceiling windows/shutters and beautiful hardwood floors. The check in process was more like friends sitting down in your living room. I sat down and reviewed paperwork and they went to the back to check me in while we sipped on wine. We were then escorted to see the highlights of the place, and then to our room.

I should not call it a room, I should call it an apartment! We were not in the main house. It appears they purchased another row house on the block (connected in the back via a breezeway). My husband and I splurged on the Residential Executive One Bedroom Suite. It was simply amazing. Dark hardwood floors with white walls and white furniture. The white walls complimented the art on the walls. There was a full kitchen (although we never used it!), a powder room, a master bedroom and a master bathroom with the most wonderful marble and glass shower. It also had a great soaker tub. The Suite was totally New Orleans, without the frilly flowers or stuffy feel. The people the renovated this place kept all the bones and essence of New Orleans and put it into a luxurious and sleek package. My husband said it was the best hotel he ever stayed in! We always had our friends come down to our room, because it felt like we had so much space that we should entertain!

All of the amenities you'd expect in a hotel room where there. The room was cleaned impeccably and we had no issues with the front desk. We only needed them twice - our bags arrived late (and they helped bring them to our room) and we asked them to call a cab (which they were more than happy to do). They were always there, but remained respectfully invisible, which we definitely appreciated.

We didn't get a car, and Melrose Mansion is situated perfectly between the French Quarter / Bourbon Street and Frenchmen. We got to Frenchmen in about 5-6 blocks. As for going towards Bourbon, that's a little more of a hike. You're talking about 12 blocks to Cafe Du Monde, and about 15 blocks to Bourbon. I may be off a little bit, but it's about a 10-15 minute walk. We were absolutely fine with walking, but if you're tired (or have heels on!), it's a quick 3-4 minute cab ride. I felt like we were in the perfect location.

I saw / did so many wonderful things on this trip to NOLA and I really saw it in a new light. I also wished I had more time to just sit around my Suite and enjoy it more! We will absolutely go back to New Orleans and will MOST DEFINITELY stay at Melrose Mansion!

Room Tip: Rooms/Suites in the adjacent house (919 Esplanade) are super quiet and feel more like apartments. Yo...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Melrose Mansion, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Kim_Better_Thompson!
We could not have described our lovely Mansion better. Our team is so proud that our personalized approach to service ensured a great experience for you and your husband. We aim to serve and it is our continued pleasure to exceed the expectations of each of our valued guests!
1A, your Residential Executive Suite, is among our favorites. We knew you would love it!
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Absolutely lovely boutique hotel, the architecture was in keeping with the area. The staff were very friendly and helpful who would go the extra mile to make sure you were comfortable. The rooms were clean and the bed very comfortable (especially if you like firm beds). The pool was lovely. The breakfast was slightly limiting, there was no cooker in the building so only croissant plus other sweet pastries were served with cereal and sweet yoghurts available. It would have been nice if there was a toaster. Overall this was not a problem as they were so many great place to eat out for breakfast.

This place is really near the popular Port of Call restaurant/bar, the famous streets run off Esplanade e.g. Bourbon Street.

I would definitely stay here again, beautiful place, accessible to all the local attractions.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
General M, General Manager at Melrose Mansion, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Thank you for the kind words. Our entire team takes great pride in ensuring the level of service provided meets the exceptional surroundings within the walls of the Melrose Mansion. We look forward to your next stay, at the Melrose Mansion New Orleans!
General Manager - Melrose Mansion
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Very nice place to stay. Great location to visit Bourbon Street and the French Quarter within a short walk. The staff was very helpful, and recommend excellent places to eat. Really look forward to our next trip. Make sure to visit the Spotted Cat for some great Jazz music.

Stayed August 2013
General M, General Manager at Melrose Mansion, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
I am glad to hear that our team was able to ensure the best possible recommendations during your visit. Hurry back!
Kenny Marrs - General Manager - French Quarter Hotel Collection
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Our first trip to NOLA from London - UK.
The customer service experience is very good. Members of make you feel very welcome and go that extra mile to ensure that you are comfortable. Several examples are ensuring that we had peppermint tea for breakfast, guest services (sorry cannot remember the staff's name) kindly noted down all the key areas to visit within the locality, Melanie (hoping that her name is correct) - was extremley helpful and sorted out our final invoice situation with a smile, rooms as spacious - however, would have preferred a kingsize in our bedrooms.
Great location a definate recommendation! Thank you to everyone who made our first stay to NOLA a memborable one!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your response. We are delighted Melanie was able to assist you with the new city-wide Hotel Assessment. We look forward to your speedy return!
Kenny Marrs - General Manager - French Quarter Hotel Collection
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Located amongst the locals the, hotel does not feel like a hotel. It is your home away from home. I stayed in a suite that had a full kitchen, living room, washer, dyer, one (1) full bath with a half bath, and a separate entrance accessible from the street. New Orleans was my absolute favourite place to be before I went and now that I have experienced it, the city surpassed by expectations. The hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful. It is within walking distance to major attractions, food and shopping. What more could I ask for!
I have encouraged my coworker to visit New Orleans and convinced her to stay at the Melrose Mansion!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Melrose Mansion? Share your experiences!