“The Melrose Mansion deserves a 5 star rating on, both, quality and customer service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Melrose Mansion

Save Saved
You added Melrose Mansion to your Saves list
Melrose Mansion
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   937 Esplanade Ave., New Orleans, LA 70116 (Bywater)   |
Ranked #52 of 146 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Nacogdoches, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the mansion April 1-3, and I only have good things to say about our stay. Upon arrival, the employee on shift was extremely helpful and also offered touristic advice. His name is Devon. He was extremely helpful along professional and articulate. The only complaint I have is that our original room's ac was not working. We told Devon and he immediately changed our room. Melrose Mansion was amazing and I highly recommend this hotel. The neighborhood is beautiful and a walk away from everything. Love this place!

• Stayed April 2014

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Dublin, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We booked our Honeymoon, 2 weeks before our wedding, a little late planners. My first experience booking through travelocity. Feb 18th-22 2014, it was amazing. Perfectly located in the French Quarter, but just enough out of the way for a quiet nights rest, the pool is beautiful, too cold for our time of year, but still cleaned daily, and pretty to listen to the water, as i would sit outside and drink coffee, on the side porch. We were in the Napoleon wing, which were little villa's, 2 decorative fireplaces, a big and spacious, marble bathroom, with a large glass shower, and huge copper shower-head, clean towels, nice hardwood floors, and the bed was amazing! I usually have difficulty sleeping in hotels, but this B&B, made this bed Heavenly. We were down a block from a fantastic little restaurant to grab a wonderful steak dinner "Port of Call", and around the corner from what became our very favorite hang out "Frenchmens street", where we could walk and listen to any kind of music in many venue's while this is the area to get the best food as well... The Ruby Slipper, and Mona's Cafe and Deli, not to mention only a few blocks from Bourbon street where all the big partying goes on, and could walk to the Outside market, we walked everywhere, it was awesome location. The Staff, Melanie "Mel" was who we spent most of our time with, for where to go and what to see, She was knowledgeable and helpful, not to mention our first 2 nights, we had friends call her to gift us with flowers and edible arrangments, which would be perfectly displayed in our room when we returned. She also took notes from them that i have a love of sweet n low packets & Equal, so my coffee in the room had plenty and never ran out. Breakfast in the mornings was nice and easy and had fruit, pastry, cereal, milk and juice and teas, Coffee was available all day. In the evenings they also served up a nice wine, and Cheese for snacks to grab, read a book and enjoy the scenery. I couldn't have asked for a better venue to spend our honeymoon. We are looking to make this an annual visit, so much to do and so much to see, with the luxury we like.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
LaSalle Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We have just stayed in as opulent and enjoyable a place as we ever will, The Melrose Mansion. We were granted the pleasure of residing, (I say "residing" versus "staying" due to the fact that we genuinely felt as if we were staying in a friend's home, instead of spending a couple of nights in a hotel) in the Donecio Suite. Our suite consists of 14' high ceilings with virtually "floor to ceiling windows" on every wall of the main room. The windows flood the main room with lots of natural light. The wide-slat wood floors, tasteful artwork on the walls, incredibly-comfortable bed, pillows, and sheets, set the very-favourable impression, as you enter your room. A wet-bar with mini-fridge are well-concealed in a closet, adjacent to the main room. The full-marble bathroom consists of two relatively-separate rooms. One room houses the sink/vanity combo, toilet, and walk-in shower with rain-shower head. The other sub-room houses an incredibly-large jacuzzi tub which you may be tempted to do "pool laps" in. When I say "full-marble" I mean it. The floors, wall, shower, jacuzzi tub, are entirely marble. Warning - the bathroom does NOT have a door which isolates it from the main room "acoustically". While you are visually isolated from whatever is transpiring in the bathroom, a lack of a door means that you will hear whatever business is transpiring in said room. This is New Orleans folks, when you are in NOLA is helps to be open-minded about a lot of things you will experience, THIS IS JUST SUCH A THING! The jacuzzi room also has floor-to-ceiling windows, which bathe the space in lots of natural light. Adjacent to the jacuzzi room is the entrance to the "grand balcony". Your balcony is long and wide, with a predominently east-facing sun-track. What this means is that you will have numerous hours of being warmed by the sun, as you drink in the street-scenes and street-vibes from Esplanade Avenue and the Marigny neighbourhood. I highly suggest a fine bourbon - in hand - as you do so, after all you ARE a leisurely 5-minute stroll from Bourbon Street. Your stay at The Melrose includes a smallish but nice continental breakfast in the morning, and a complimentary wine and cheese "happy hour" in the afternoon. Thanks on both accounts! The breakfast is a nice way to kick-off another day in NOLA, and I will never hesitate to appreciate somebody offering me a glass of wine, accompanied by cheese, just for having the joy of staying in their accommodation. The staff - it seems wrong to call them staff, as they were more like "hosts" - were professional, efficient with any requests on our behalf, and genuinely charming and friendly. What else could you ask for? The opinions and answers to our questions in regard to what to see and where to eat/drink were "spot on". Since you are residing in the Marigny, you are not subjected to most of whatever is transpiring in the French Quarter. Don't get me wrong, we had great fun in the Quarter, but after doing so, it is great to recharge your batteries in more sedate surroundings. You are a leisurely 5 minute stroll to Bourbon St., 10 minutes to Frenchmen's, (numerous music clubs and cafe's), 15 minutes to the Mississippi waterfront, so at the end of the day you are close to everything you could ever want to experience. I have many friends that want to visit NOLA. I could not recommend The Melrose highly-enough! We will remember our visit to the Melrose for the rest of our lives!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Metairie, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Great room, great staff, great value, great location
The property is beautiful and the staff were very helpful and accommodating.
I highly recommend this property. This is our new place to stay in New Orleans.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Of the roughly 30 trips that I've taken to New Orleans, Melrose Mansion represents a new low in both value for the money and management.

As other reviews have noted, the property has issues with plumbing. On our first morning, our toilet wouldn't flush, which can put a bit of a damper on Valentine's Day romance. To be fair, this problem was fixed that morning, though not without some discomfort.

In addition, on each of our three mornings at Melrose, there was not sufficient hot water supply to accommodate two showers and a shave. The shower temperature would gradually move from hot to warm to cold, and then I'd have to step out. I informed the front desk on two separate occasions and was met only with denial: "That's never happened before" and "engineering checked it out and you do have hot water." So I guess I'm a liar. I asked to speak to the GM, and never received a call. I expressed a desire to check out earlier than my scheduled departure, and was told I'd still have to pay for all three nights. I was offered neither a room change nor a discount for the inconvenience of the unreliable water supply. So that's the kind of management you'll deal with.

Even without the above lousy experience, I couldn’t give Melrose more than three stars. It’s tough to say who the property is designed for. It can’t be business travelers, because there’s no workspace. It can’t be anyone staying for long, because there was very limited storage space for clothing in our room (5 hangers and two small side tables/dressers).

The bathroom was particularly disappointing – French doors that don’t fully close, very little space for personal effects, a poorly lit mirror (the only one in the room, BTW – no full-length), and a shower head that's meant to be adjustable but wasn’t – never a spray, only a narrow stream. As to toiletries? Waiting for us were one small bottle of shampoo, one small bottle of lotion, and a single bar of soap, which I guess we were meant to use for both the sink and the shower.

For comparative purposes, I paid $419/night over Valentine's Day weekend. I checked rates at the Monteleone, my favorite New Orleans hotel, for that Sunday night; for the same price, I could've had an executive suite with money to spare.

The location, in close proximity to the Frenchmen Street bars, is great. But at this price point, you have a right to expect better accommodations and management. Clearly, I won't be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in Napoleon 5, maybe 10 paces from a noisy housekeeping station.