“Nice, clean, convient” 5 of 5 stars
Review of New Orleans Marriott

You added New Orleans Marriott to your Saves list
New Orleans Marriott
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   555 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #91 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice, clean, convient”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

I stayed at the Marriott on Canal Street for one night on a layover between Amtrak trains. Because I was going to be in New Orleans for less than 24 hours I didn't want to break the bank on a hotel room. I was fortunate to get the New Orleans Marriott on Priceline for a very good price.

I was given room 912 and I couldn't have been more pleased. The room was very nicely decorated and the bathroom was spotless. I had a fantastic view of the Mississippi River from my room as well. All of my dealings with hotel staff members were friendly and professional. The hotel was very convenient to everything that I managed to do during my short stay such as have dinner at the Pelican Club, ride the St. Charles Street streetcar from Canal Street to the end of the line via the Garden District and have breakfast in Jackson Square. I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again or recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
Somerville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

This is a nice hotel in downtown New Orleans. Just a few blocks from Bourbon St. It is also about a block and a half from Harrah's Casino if you like to gamble. The lobby is spacious with lots going on. Valet parking is a little pricey but valet service was great. Staff here was excellent. One downside is they charge you for internet in your room if you want to use it. This is a pet peeve of mine. As a business traveler, internet should ALWAYS be free.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

Just checked in on 11/19 for a 3 night stay via name your price on Pricline. New it was a mistake as soon as Marriott was the "4 star" hotel out of 9 available in the French Quarter that accepted my reservation and it was confirmed when we arrived. This hotel is NOT in the French Quarter, it is just outside in the Central Business District so don't be fooled. You will walk many blocks to get in the FQ. $30/day to valet park and you wait while your car is taken hostage. Person at front desk literally stuck out her hand for my credit card without even saying Welcome to NO or to the hotel or Happy Anniversary (since they knew that's why we were here). Almost got excited over the big LG LCD tv but, you guessed it, does not have high definition programming, so the picture is actually worse than on a non-HD tv. The free water that I heard about in other reviews was nowhere to be found. Instead, we found 2 bottles of water in the room w/ a price of $4 each. No thanks. And for the Internet, no, don't think about wireless in your room. You have no chance of high speed Internet on your phone because it's wired, and of course, it costs extra.
View from room is central business district with Harrah's casino and great neon lighting on the liquor store across Canal street. Bottom line, two things I'll never do again, use Priceline and stay at any Marriott hotel in NO.

• Stayed November 2010
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

I choose this hotel b/c it was near my conference hotel (the sheraton across the street). I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is huge but luxurious feeling. The lobby is centered around a huge lounge/bar. The food was mediocre (the dessert was especially disappointing, stale and old) but the drinks and atmosphere were great. The hotel lobby had great energy. It was fun to come back to at night and grab a drink.

My room was small, but had a wall of windows with a beautiful view of the city. The colors and new orleans related artwork helped the room feel somewhat connected to the city. The bed was comfortable and the layout was well designed. Overall, a fun hotel. The only issue was trying to print my boarding pass at the kiosk in the lobby. It was painfully slow.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

Had a great stay here at the Marriott. The hotel is very busy and so there is a great buzz in the downstairs bar and restaurant area. It has it's own Starbucks which is always a bonus and our room on the 23rd floor had an amazing view of the city and river.

I was a bit annoyed that it was $15 per day for in room internet access although it was free in the lobby and bar area.

Food was great, location was great, staff were great.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

This is a good hotel. I stayed here for a convention (so had no choice in the matter) but was pleased with it. Good, friendly service, nice rooms, and great location. It's the little touches that often make the difference for me, and at this hotel it was the flavoured water given away at the front desk. It was great to fill up my water bottle with it every day.

My only complaint has to do with the elevators. They have a bizarre calling system and it worked well most of the time, but twice I waited a solid 5 minutes for my elevator to come so I could go down to the lobby. Of course, that only ever happens when you're in a rush :)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

I joined my husband in NO for a convention to have a mini vacation. The hotel staff was very nice and efficient. We had great housekeeping service and no noise that interfered with sleep. We tried to eat in the grill resturant 5 fifty 5 down stairs and were told there was a 40 minute walk; we returned at the appointed time and the hostess was gone. Several wait staff noted our presence and said someone would be out to help us but we waited over 15 minutes. By the time we were seated the resturant was out of several selections and only had a 20 ounce cowboy steak left so we opted to leave. While we were seated and waiting for our server the couple next to us had been there for over 40 minutes and had not even ordered their meal! We left and went to the Bourbon house that was happy to see us and had everything on the menu. Another great resturant that was is easy walking distance in the Red Fish. Summary: Nice hotel but go eat somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to New Orleans Marriott? Share your experiences!