“Great location, friendly staff....but, 3.5 stars” 3 of 5 stars
Review of New Orleans Marriott

You added New Orleans Marriott to your Saves list
New Orleans Marriott
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   555 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #90 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
“Great location, friendly staff....but, 3.5 stars”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

This hotel was everything that we needed it to be: centrally located to everything, comfortable place to rest, but it missed the mark on some very important issues. Up front: we stayed this past weekend during Mardi Gras, so yes, it was crowded. BUT, the valet service was completely full and could not park our car. You would figure that the hotel would figure out another option for people that are staying at the hotel, but we had to find our own garage to park in 5 blocks away.

Although the elevators are state of the art (you punch in your floor number at the bottom level, and a bank of 6 elevators decide/rush you to your floor), the rooms just feel...dirty. I couldn't put my finger on it, but even my wife mentioned it when we walked into the room. However, the beds are very comfortable.

The staff is great at this location, and there is very tight security at the lobby. The lobby offers some tasty flavored water by the elevators, and the pool area seemed pretty fun.

I wanted to give this location 4 stars, but the fact that they didn't have any room for our vehicle on check-in caused us a lot of frustration and stress. Also, the rooms felt dirty, so all-in-all, higher middle of the road Marriott that we have visited.

Room Tip: Call ahead to make sure the valet service has room to park your vehicle.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Mike R, Guest Relations Manager at New Orleans Marriott, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for posting your review concerning your recent stay over Mardi Gras. I am pleased to hear that our staff provided great service and that we provided a safe and secure atmosphere for you in our lobby. I would like to apologize that our parking garage was at capacity upon your arrival and the level of cleanliness of your room was unsatisfactory. Your feedback is most important as we are continuously looking to advance the art of hosting. We hope to regain your trust and look forward to welcoming you back to our property the next time your travels bring your to the Crescent City.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (611)
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I was sceptical about this hotel when my cousin booked it for us to meet there. I saw some of the previous reviews and they were not great--nor was it a 4-star hotel I was hoping for. And since my cousin had already gotten an amazing deal on the price of the rooms,I took my changes. I was really surprised on how attentive the concierge was and how anyone of them were able to help in different ways. We all were very pleased with how centrally located the hotel is and how accessible everything was. We walked everywhere! I am a hotel snob and like to stay in 4-star hotels. However, I look forward to coming back to this hotel whenever I stay in New Orleans

Green Features: They suggested that you reuse your towels and washclother to conserve water, but had not problem replacing dirty ones.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Kate R, Guest Relations Manager at New Orleans Marriott, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear DaLaw50,

It was a pleasure reading your review and hearing what a wonderful experience you had with our customer service. We pride ourselves in the art of hosting and we are glad that our service made your stay exceed your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and we look forward to hosting you on your next visit to New Orleans.
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

A couple of my friends and I spent the weekend here during Mardi Gras season and we were impressed by the staff and how nice the location was. The beds were incredibly soft and the staff dealt with the craziness elegantly! The location was very secure, which was a huge plus for us seeing as how Mardi Gras can be. Overall a great place to stay!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Tyler,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at our hotel. We are so happy to hear that you were impressed by our staff and our location. We do certainly have a lot of experience at handling the Mardi Gras festivities! Thank you again for your review and we hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again in the near future.
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I recently stayed here for one night during Mardis Gras as I was passing through. Canal street was closed off so I had to find the back entrance which took quite awhile. The hotel should have notified incoming hotel guests about the parking situation. The hotel also rented out part of it's front parking area facing canal street to allow vendors to sell items which took away from the parking spaces, too.

Check in was OK, Valet was VERY SLOW and be prepared to pay for the $36 per night parking fee. I had access to the VIP lounge and when I entered at 5:00PM a company was having their meeting in one of the tables. How tacky is that? That really took away from me wanting to eat or have a drink in this lounge.

Room Tip: Don't visit during Mardis Gras season
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you, Jasontraci2006, for posting your review. I apologize that you experienced a challenge arriving to the hotel during the parades this past week. Mardi Gras brings a lot of traffic to the downtown area and we appreciate the feedback you provided to further enhance future guests arrival experience. Additionally, I am sorry you did not find our concierge lounge to be comfortable. In July, we begin renovation on our new concierge lounge concept, the M Lounge, which I am sure you will find enjoyable. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Staff was excellent and the room was very comfortable, but, a bit small. Yearned for a reading chair. The HD TV did not work properly; pixel breakup, but we weren't there for the television. Concierge, valet, and maid service were terrific assets.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear de113,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at the New Orleans Marriott. It pleases us to hear that you enjoyed the location in the French Quarter and the streetcar- we hope you had a chance to ride! It's also great to hear that you liked our active Greatroom area and found that the rooms were very clean. We hope to the pleasure of serving you again on your next trip to New Orleans.
Rumson, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

We stayed for a long weekend and this hotel was fine. The location is very good, right on Canal and not far from Bourbon, or the streetcar. I do think this is more of a business hotel, which I knew it would be upon booking. We were mostly looking for the location being a short 3 night stay. If you want to get more of the feel of New Orleans in your hotel, this isn't it. The room was were clean, and fairly basic, a little on the smaller side. The staff was very nice and the central lobby bar would be a good place to watch some games The elevators are a little funny in that you enter your floor on the outside and it then tells you which elevator to take. This can be comical upon a late night return from Bourbon st.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Kate R, Guest Relations Manager at New Orleans Marriott, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Dear de113,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the New Orleans Marriott. Your feedback is extremely important to us as we seek to perfect the art of hosting. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location, clean rooms, kind staff and vibrant lobby bar 55 Fahrenheit. We hope to host you again in the near future!
Mexico, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Being a Marriott Gold member, I stay at a lot of Marriott's around the country. The website, photos and amenities looked great for this hotel...beautiful lobby, nice views, but that's about where it stops...this hotel was average at best. First, they couldn't find the FedEx package I sent a few days earlier. Next, the room wasn't ready and I stated early check-in. If that wasn't enough, none of the 2 bed rooms are Queen size, they only have double sized beds, which is fine for 2 small people. The only option was 1 King, fine for 2 people, but when you have 3 people, not so much...unless maybe in Vegas. Lastly, they spoke of the 'river view' rooms as fantastic, and the views were great, but the tugboat and ship horns blasting 3 and 4 times a night were a bit of a problem, and I'm a heavy sleeper! So, lots of other choices nearby, I'll stick with my brand, but not this hotel ever again. Oh, did I mention that the Executive Lounge isn't open on weekends either, seriously, you get more from the Springhill, Residence and Fairfield hotels in the brand than the 'big' hotels in the brand!

Room Tip: Get the 'City View' only, if they say beautiful 'River View' then make sure you have...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Mike R, Guest Relations Manager at New Orleans Marriott, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Thank you for the review, Georgia2maine. I would like to apologize that we fell short of your expectations. We greatly appreciate your loyalty to Marriott and your feedback is most important as we continuously strive for excellence. For our impending renovation this summer we will be creating the M Lounge, which will create an Elite Concierge Lounge experience and take it to the next level. It will provide full access to the buffet, bar service, and technology but most importantly it will be available 7 days a week. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future.

Been to New Orleans Marriott? Share your experiences!