“Great Views, Good Location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of New Orleans Marriott

Save Saved
You added New Orleans Marriott to your Saves list
New Orleans Marriott
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   555 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save now in New Orleans
Ranked #84 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
West Hollywood, California
“Great Views, Good Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Standard Marriott, rooms are smaller based on the age of the property bathrooms are also very small and poorly updated drop title ceilings. Beds are comfortable standard Marriott overall this in a huge hotel with a lot of small overlooked details in the up keeping. Pool area is very cool but does not have a bar area or covered seating. Elevators have odd setup you put in your floor and you are assigned an elevator this was great till the hotel was busy then took up to 5 minutes to get up or down.

Front desk staff were very efficient check in/out was smooth even with a large number if people, they call your cell when the room is ready that was nice.

Lots of amenities on site Starbucks...ect,

Location is on the edge of the French Quarter every major hotel change has a location in this general area this hotel is just average pick your preferred chain or who has the best rate.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Kori J, General Manager at New Orleans Marriott, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Caltom67, thanks for your review. We're so glad you chose to spend your recent visit to New Orleans here with us at the Marriott. It sounds like everything went well, and your title, "Great views, good location," is a nice way to describe two of our finest features. Guests love the spectacular vantage point that our upper levels offer, and our innovative elevator system makes it easy to get up or down with ease.

Similarly, our location makes it easy to get almost anywhere in the city. If you're in the mood to discover a new favorite restaurant or bar, our knowledgable staff is always willing to offer a recommendation. And if you feel like staying closer to home, it doesn't get much more convenient that our on-site Starbucks and restaurants.

I hope you'll choose to stay with us again next time you're in town. Feel free to contact me directly if there's anything we can do to help plan a visit.

1,803 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This property is located right on the edge of the French Quarter so an easy walk to all
local attractions like Bourbon Street and the waterfront. Trolly car lines close by. I booked here for a trade show and they did not have the room type I asked for. Instead they put me up on the 38th floor with a stunning view of the river and downtown, plus concierge level privileges at no extra charge. All staff were friendly and helpful, room was great and the whole experience was above average for similar hotels. Although I did not use them, nice lounge, restaurant and Starbucks inside the hotel. A word of caution about this place and others in New Orleans, they charge a premium for their parking, and to add insult to injury I paid a parking tax on top of the parking rate! Beware of layers of taxes in this city, they get you coming and going! This no doubt contributed to the amazing clean up and restoration of the city after Katrina and I can live with the means to that end, the whole city looked great. If you are a fan of Marriott like I am, this hotel is a good value and really nice place. For an upgrade there is a J.W. Marriott across the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room facing the river if you want a terrific view and sunrises.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Kori J, Resident Manager at New Orleans Marriott, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear ProMetalSales, it sounds like you had a great stay, and we really appreciate that you took the time to tell us about it. Like you, many of our guests are pleasantly surprised by the convenience of our location. Many of the city's finest destinations are within walking distance, and we always recommend a leisurely ride on the streetcar. If you want to just get out and go in the morning, you're guaranteed to stumble across at least a few amazing sights and sounds.

We're so glad that you enjoyed your room with a view. The sight lines from up on the 38th floor are unparalleled, and access to the Concierge Level offers many little luxuries to help you feel at home.

Thanks again. If there's anything we can do to help plan a future stay, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Kori Johnson

Resident Manager
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The King Room we had was extremely small. The ceiling height in the bathroom was approximately 6'8" as my hands bumped the ceiling when I was blow drying my hair. The room with tax was over $200 plus an additional $35 per night to park my car. When I checked in, the first thing I was asked was if I wanted to upgrade to a room overlooking the river that was a little larger for $50 per night. That should have been my first clue. The lounge was very nice, the location was good, but I felt it was over priced for what I got.

Room Tip: Be prepared to spend an additional $50 per night to get a decent sized room during the week. What ap...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Exgopher, thanks for your honest feedback. We're sorry to hear that your visit didn't quite live up to your expectations. We know that value is a consideration for all travelers, and that's why we're committed to providing the very best in accommodations, amenities, and service. Here at the New Orleans Marriott, we have a wide variety of rooms with different layouts and features. Should you choose to stay with us again-and I hope you do- we will be sure to work with you to find a room that better suits your needs.

It sounds like there were a few highlights during your stay, including our central location and lounge. We'd love nothing more than to be able to add to that list during a future stay. If there's anything I can do now to start the process of restoring your trust in our hotel, please let me know.

Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed at the Marriott New Orleans for a conference over this past weekend. Arrived about 1:00, room not ready and was told that I would be called when a room became available, which the front desk staff did. Front desk staff was very efficient, as was the baggage storage staff. I was in meetings until 6:30, and then went back to get my room keys.

I was on the 24th floor in a corner room. The room itself was large, however the bathroom was very tight. Everything in the room from the mattress to the wallpaper to the curtains to furniture was very dated, like late 80's. The mattress on the bed was old, covered by a pillow top. While I slept well, the bed was a little saggy. So, everything in the hotel is dated.

As other reviewers have stated, the location on Canal Street is central to everything New Orleans. You can walk to many activities, including Bourbon Street, the port, the aquarium, and other famous tourist locations. No better location in New Orleans.

Food at this hotel was very good. Breakfast buffet was terrific, and the food provided at our various meetings was great. Serving staff in the conference breakfast and luncheons seemed less than pleasant, as if they didn't really want to be there. Housekeeping staff was terrific, very attune to security of your room.

If going to New Orleans for a special experience, I would not stay at this dated hotel. All the major chains are around this tourist area, Hilton, W, Sheraton, I would find one of them that has spent the money to keep the hotel up to date. This Marriott has not.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear banker1225, thank you for reviewing your recent stay here at the New Orleans Marriott. It's disappointing to learn that your visit was less than ideal, and I'd like to personally apologize for any inconveniences. Despite the room decor issues, it sounds like you found a lot to love here on property, including exceptional cuisine, friendly, efficient service, and an ideal location.

We always strive for satisfaction in every facet of a guest's stay, which is why we look forward to another opportunity to show you a great time at our hotel. If you'd like to discuss these matters in greater detail, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me directly. Thanks--we hope to see you again soon.

Kori Johnson

Resident Manager
nh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Good location very clean and the breakfast was very good. The beignets were just as good as Café Du Monde The casino is a block away. French Quarters is 1 block but would advise to go be cautious it gets very rowdy Had dinner at New Orleans school of cooking a very nice time and good food

Room Tip: away from elevator and ice machine
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Beaumont, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

This hotel was in a very good location - right next to Bourbon Street and the French Quarter. East to get to and in the middle of everything. Close to public transportation for touring around the city. I was disappointed in our room, though. It was more the quality of a two star hotel. It was acceptable, but not what I expected for this kind of hotel. The common areas were nice, plenty of assistance, clean and visible security. The parking (required valet) was very expensive. It was OK, but I would choose another hotel if I were returning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Orange, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I am a Marriott Rewards member and so have stayed at a fair amount of Marriott properties. My last stay at a Residence Inn in Asheville, NC was a bit to be desired, but the New Orleans Marriott restored my faith in the Marriott brand. From the minute my taxi dropped me off, the bell hop was very helpful and very friendly. When I registered, the front desk was very polite and energetic. I went to my room and found it pleasant and clean. It did not have a great view and for over $300 a night, I hoped it was better, but the conference priced rooms were all sold out. Still it was very nice and even had a small fridge, desk, and a chair in addition to the king-sized bed. The bed was very comfortable and so were the pillows. Everything was very well-appointed and modern. When my colleagues and I asked the concierge about where a good coffee shop was that wasn't Cafe Du Monde, he gave us one right away. He was always very upbeat, helpful and old-school gentleman, a real delight. and refreshing. We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant and had the buffet. It had a beignet station, which I thought was a great local tie-in. Unlike so many buffets, this one had a lot of fresh produce, omelettes made to order, great bakery items, and much more. The waitress was great about making sure we had plenty of hot coffee too. It was very pleasant and a nice respite. The hotel is very near so many things, it was easy to get around. It's in a safe part of town and the trolley runs by it. The casino is not far, if you want to go there. I'm not a big fan of it. I was there a few years ago and the lack of natural light and loud noise gave me a headache. I decided I really don't like casinos. I much prefer to be outside strolling in Jackson Square and looking at the art work by local artists, or on the trolley touring the Garden District. There was a great breeze blowing one day when we went to the river. Just watching the steam boats with their paddles was very tranquil and relaxing. There are great antique shops down Royal, I think that was the street. I'm not much of a Bourbon Street fan...too many drunk people and seediness for my taste. When you have a teenage girl and pass by a place called Barely Legal...well, your stomach kind of does flips when you think there's probably someone's daughter in there who is there because she doesn't think she has a choice...in fact, that's how I felt about most of Bourbon Street. When I was younger, I think I focused more on the great frozen daiquiris you could walk around with and how cool it was that you could drink Absinthe at Absinthe House and pretend that you and Hemingway had a bond. But I digress...the hotel is great...located conveniently to all the sights, clean and well-appointed rooms with excellent restaurants and wonderful customer service. I recommend it.

Room Tip: Be sure you ask for a river view and a higher floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Kori J, General Manager at New Orleans Marriott, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear FloridaWriter, thanks for your kind words. It's wonderful to know that a stay here at the New Orleans Marriott restored your faith in the brand. Whether it's a guest's first or fifth visit, we always strive to provide an exceptional experience rooted in local flavor and character. We believe that any great experience begins with top-notch service, and that's why we staff only the most qualified and knowledgeable hospitality professionals. From check-in to checkout, it's our hope that your stay is filled with pleasant encounters, unexpected delights, and plenty of rest and relaxation.

You mentioned that you like walking around town. Our central location makes it easy to simply get out and go. You can go wherever the wind takes you, or, for a more structured adventure, we are always willing to recommend a few of our favorite destinations. And with the classic New Orleans streetcars passing right by our hotel, you can travel more swiftly without sacrificing scenery.

We'd love to host you again soon, so if there's anything we can do to help plan a visit, just let us know.

New Orleans Marriott

Been to New Orleans Marriott? Share your experiences!