“Better than ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of New Orleans Marriott

Save Saved
You added New Orleans Marriott to your Saves list
New Orleans Marriott
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   555 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save now in New Orleans
Ranked #87 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Houston, Texas
“Better than ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

If my math is right, I first stayed in this place 30 years ago. It's undergone many improvements since then, and my most recent stay, for the long Labor Day weekend of 2013, was the best one yet. We had pricelined it a couple of months ago, so I fully expected to be relegated to some viewless room on a low floor directly above the kitchen or boiler room. However, when we arrived and received our keys, I was delighted to find that our Elite membership had been honored. We were given a room on the 29th floor facing north, straight up Canal Street; a view I strongly prefer over that of the Mississippi River, which emits too much morning sun to facilitate late sleeping. The new elevator system, in which one enters the floor number rather than a simple UP or DOWN button, results in very impressive traffic control in the elevator lobby, faster elevator speeds, and almost always a "private" elevator. A pure genius invented this thing. Our room, although rather small, was nicely furnished, clean, and quite comfortable. Washing my face upon arrival, I found to my disgust that the hand towel was soured; I called the concierge immediately and in no more than three minutes, an entire set of fresh bath linens arrived at my door. The Starbucks in the lobby is a great addition; however, it needs to add the scanner that most Starbucks locations now have to accept the phone app paying method. We took advantage of the happy hour in the lobby lounge one afternoon and I must say, that was one delicious glass of Champagne and the calamari with lemon aioli was perfect. My only criticism of the guest room was that there needs to be a towel rack on the wall above the vanity. The one towel rack is inside the shower-tub enclosure, and the only other place to keep bath linens is in a cubby hole underneath the vanity. Otherwise, this place is ideal. The location is great, right on the cusp of the Vieux Carre and the CBD, a close walk to the beautiful Canal Place Mall and Harrah's Casino, and right on the streetcar line. We will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor on the north side, viewing Canal Street and the French Quarter. These rooms ar...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

1,766 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
Fairhope, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I have stayed at this Marriott several times and consider it one of the better places to stay in the Quarter for the money. This hotel has always offered consistent value. Prime location, friendly staff, bedding is consistently comfortable, the views from higher floors can be gorgeous, nice bar and lobby for meeting friends. I like it more than the more prestigious JW Marriott across the street.

Room Tip: Higher floor facing the river for best views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Texas
1,322 helpful votes 1,322 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

In September 2013 I spent three nights in the New Orleans Marriott, and this was a very pleasant experience. All the personnel with whom I came into contact were extremely friendly and helpful, from the staff at the reception desk, the concierge, the bell captains, to the security guards. I particularly liked one of the bell captains, who provided me some advice about where to dine. I told him I wanted to eat in a refined, quiet restaurant where I could get a good steak; his response was I should go to the Rib Room in the Omni Royal Orleans. It was an excellent suggestion. This hotel is located on the edge of the French Quarter, which places many restaurants and sites within easy walking distance. The rooms were clean and noise free and had excellent air conditioning. I would certainly return to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Texarkana, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We visited New Orleans and stayed at the Marriott on Canal August 31 thru September 3. Check in was a joke. Two people working the desk and a line that stretched well into the lobby. Took over 30 minutes to get registered. The location is convenient. The parking fees outrageous and the room smelled like a high school locker room the entire stay.
We left the ac running 24 hours and the fan set to high but this didn't help at all.
The bed was fairly comfortable.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bethany Beach, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This hotel in the convention area was very nice. with large well appointed rooms, nice and helpful staff and large lobby, good computer facilities and a good restaurant, all within walking distance to convention center and to waterfront activities.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Worthing, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed here for one night on a stopover to Florida. Excellent rooms, but decor was slightly dated, garish patterns! The facilities however were great and the location was perfect! Wish we had time to use the pool!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We really enjoyed being near the top floor in a corner room overlooking the quarter. The room was well kept clean, and gorgeously furnished. The staff was friendly, and quick with any requests we made. The only room complaint was the bathroom was tiny. My petite wife even commented on the narrowness of the door, very adequate once in though. Be aware you can only use valet parking here and it's $35/day plus tip. The only reason I didn't give this hotel excellent was the parking. I called down 5-10 minutes ahead to get my car because we were in a bit of a rush to get on the road. We got down only to find out it had never been pulled. Wait wasn't too bad, but standing in the heat with all my family and luggage really irked me.

Room Tip: Get near the top looking over the French Quarter!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to New Orleans Marriott? Share your experiences!