“VERY short stay but ....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of New Orleans Marriott

Save Saved
You added New Orleans Marriott to your Saves list
New Orleans Marriott
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   555 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2,000 Bonus Points
Ranked #84 of 152 hotels in New Orleans
Santa Cruz
“VERY short stay but ....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I guess I was expecting a great staff.

We arrived VERY late due to our train and were not able to cancel our very expensive reservation. We had to cancel 3 or 4 days before we were due to stay and of course, since it was the train that was delayed and not us, we had to cough up for a 4 hour stay.

When we checked in, the staff was ho hum. I know we checked in at 1:30 am but the lobby was not dead. I mean we were in New Orleans. I was hoping for a little Southern hospitality and an actual wake up call. We asked for one when we checked in for 4:45 and luckily, my husband set his phone for 5 am for a back up and that's what woke us up.

On the plus side, we had ponied up extra for a city view and it was beautiful. The room was probably spacious but mostly it was a blur. We will not be going back to NO but I would probably try to find another hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

1,636 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
Harrisburg, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a typical city/skyscraper Marriott property. The rooms were as expected, if a bit small and a fridge would have been nice in such a hot climate. The elevators were absolutely efficient and you can see where the cool system of entering your floor and taking the designated elevator cuts down on waiting. We also had excellent food at the onsite restaurant.

The thing that made this hotel stand apart from others we've visited is the staff. From morning until night, the staff went out of their way to personify southern hospitality. In particular, when asking for change in the gift shop, the employee took my $20 and WALKED me next door to Starbucks, got my change and handed it back to me. Most people would have just said "I don't have it, but Starbuck's will." In addition, Sue in the valet area saved our butts one morning when the airport shuttle didn't show up in time to take my husband to the airport. He was on the phone with the shuttle service and they were trying to tell him that they had been there. Sue took his phone and kindly (but firmly) told the company that she knows every driver and NONE of them had been there that morning. And that we were waiting out side with time to spare. Within five minutes, they had another shuttle for us. This is the type of employee every hotel should have, because she will earn repeat business.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Liberty, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was a pretty nice hotel. I was surprised because I read so many bad reviews after I won room bid on priceline for a 4 star in the french quarter. I have to say this place was in such a convenient place, like perfect place! The hotel was very nice, we had an upgraded view room on the river/city and as I said in the title it was just a little smaller then I was used too. (but at least it had a fridge!) The bathroom also didn't have a fan...which was odd, so you have to leave the door open and I'd bring spray when you have to do the #2. The pool was VERY VERY small and not very young child friendly because people can drink up there and boy did they drink, I recommend this place for couples and familes with older kids. I enjoyed but would probably look at another place for my next visit just because of all the drama we had with our room reservations ( we reserved a 2 king rooms and our rooms became rooms with 2 FULL size beds, it got a little heated and they got kinda rude until a manager fixed it) and the internet price was insanely high and breakfast was not included and was pricey.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lilburn, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We did a girls getaway in New Orleans in July. We stayed at the Marriott and I was very surprised. We asked for adjoining rooms and they accommodated us. Our rooms were spacious and clean. The hotel is centrally located. If I had to give one negative critique it would be that we had to wait in long lines to check in and then had to wait for our room. However, to make it up to us they gave us a couple drink tickets to go to the bar. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Nice
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I spent a week at the Mariott in August 2013. The biggest plus was the staff. They were all so friendly and helpful that I hate not to give a better rating. But in all honesty, the room, the restaurant, and the bar were passable but nothing special.

Room Tip: Like everything in New Orleans, the higher the better.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Srinagar, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

DISAPPOINTED BY THE SERVICE
Great location

It took them three days and two room changes but still couldn't fix a tap! A business traveler could least appreciate that.
Slow service at the desk and no slippers and slow with requests.

AMAZING views of the Mighty Mississippi from the top floor room so try staying there

Excellent central location

Good sleep though

Room Tip: TOP floor river FACING ...beautifulllll!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Poway, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Enjoyed my stay at the hotel and the food and service in 5fifty5, The hotel is located in a great area and easy access to the city as a whole.. Walked to most of the locals and it wasn't difficult..

Elevators were a whole new experience..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to New Orleans Marriott? Share your experiences!