“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of New Orleans Marriott

Save Saved
You added New Orleans Marriott to your Saves list
New Orleans Marriott
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   555 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save now in New Orleans
Ranked #85 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Arkansas
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

When we travel to New Orleans, we usually try to stay away from large hotel chains, but this was very enjoyable! We slept well even though the beds were a little small. The location is great. The food in the lobby bar was really good. My only complaint is that it was pretty loud in the lobby, but there was a lot of traffic each time we came through, so I guess that is to be expected. If traveling with a large group, I would definitely consider staying there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

1,752 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
St. Louis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I'm not sure where to start because I was so disappointed with this hotel. 3 stars is very generous, and I'm only giving it 3 stars because of service and the location (on Canal and a few short blocks from tourist attractions and French quarters) were very good.

I was in New Orleans over the July 4th weekend with my husband and two children, ages 5 and 16. We arrive at the hotel and walk into this beautiful lobby area. However, the rooms were SMALL and comparable to a Motel 6. The head boards were nailed to the wall. Seriously!! The bathrooms were so small that I could reach out and touch the bathroom door while using the bathroom. I was seriously expecting someone to jump out of the closet and inform me that I was being punked!

The hotel was extremely busy due to a music festival and we were prepared for that. What we were not prepared for was "Club Marriott" Full on club in the hotel lobby. Complete with DJ!!Try explaining half naked women and lewd dancing to a 5 year old. It appeared the hotel management had no interest in getting this under control.

The pool was nice and mostly quiet and the restaurant in the hotel was decent. The breakfast buffet was actually excellent. The concierge, valets and front desk staff were very attentive and helpful (they save this review from being "terrible")

I can't recommend this hotel...for the rates you can stay in a much nicer place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kori J, General Manager at New Orleans Marriott, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Travelinglady01, I am sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. Though our beautiful lobby is typically a hub of activity, as guests come and go, during the weekend of your stay the Essence Music Festival was taking place in the entire New Orleans market. My hope is that the increased traffic didn't interfere with your plans. We do our best to maintain a consistent level of service no matter how busy we are, however I want to assure you that we understand your concerns and appreciate your comments. All of our guests are important and we never want them to feel uncomfortable.

It sounds as though there were a few bright spots, including our service, restaurants, and pool area. Our breakfast buffet, which you mentioned, is a guest favorite. There's no better way to start your day than with a fresh, well-balanced meal. Hopefully your next stay is a bit more balanced as well. Again, please accept our sincerest apologies. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any further questions or concerns.

Robert Bray

Opelousas, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel always makes you feel important. The staff is very professional and kind. Great place to stay. Rooms are clean and the beds are to die for! Close walking distance to the French Quarter, French Market, Cafe Du Monde, WWII museum,and so much more. My business was a convention which they have hosted for at least 15 years. There is also a Starbucks in the lobby!

Room Tip: Rooms on the riverside give you a clear view of the river traffic. It's beautiful at night.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kori J, Resident Manager at New Orleans Marriott, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear sbspeyer, I'm glad to hear you had a good time here at the New Orleans Marriott. Your first sentence says it all! Our guests are the most important part of the entire equation, and we'll move mountains to make sure they leave happy. Having a Starbucks conveniently located in the lobby certainly helps our cause.

We're so glad you've made a home away from home at our hotel; it's a position we don't take lightly. If there's one thing we've learned, it's that no two trips to New Orleans are ever the same. Please don't hesitate to let me know if there's anything we can do to make your next stay that much more special.

Mobile, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I've recently retired and travel roughly 100 days a year. I stay @ several hotels throughout the US and abroad. I have never in my life witnessed such profound, diligent, and unique hospitality like that of the New Orleans Marriott. If you have an opportunity to stay, go and locate Paul (Starbucks) and Chris (Lobby). These two guys went way out of their way to make my stay one of the most memorable experiences to date. The only bad note I have is on the condition of the rooms. Needs serious updating, but I was told they will be investing in the rooms in the near future.

Room Tip: Go for the corner room. It's a modest upgrade, but awesome view of the city and river.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kori J, Resident Manager at New Orleans Marriott, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear mrpenningtonchris, it was our pleasure to host a season traveler such as yourself. We know that with experience comes certain expectations, and it sounds like your stay here at the New Orleans Marriott delivered across the board. We appreciate the kind words you had for our staff—and in particular Paul and Chris. I'll be sure to let them know their efforts did not go unnoticed!

You heard right; we are always updating and modernizing the hotel, and you just might like what you find upon your next visit. We hope to see you back in New Orleans soon.

Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I am Marriotts rewards member and we always chose to stay at the Marriott if we find a good location. This Marriott is located right on Canal street and steps away from the French quarter ( Royal street and bourbon street) , the WWII museum and the Superdome. The rooms were smaller for what we paid and parking was $ 35 a day! Although it was very convenient, there are nearby public parking which is cheaper. They have a good lounge area but gets crowded during the evening. If you flying into New Orleans, don't even think of renting a car. Parking is expensive and limited. Take a cab straight to the location. You don't have to worry about parking or driving in the narrow one way streets. Cabs are easily available to tour other parts of the city which are farther. Or you can always enjoy charm of riding on the street car. Nothing much to complain here, other than the fact that we were paying a price just for the location. I guess that's a fair deal in NOLA :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kori J, General Manager at New Orleans Marriott, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Vinaya_Kini, thanks for your review. Here in New Orleans, it's all about location, and we're fortunate to have a great address. It's one of the biggest draws for our guests, and what they remember most after checking out. With a great location comes a commensurate parking rate, and though we do our best to price our facility and services fairly, we know it's not for everyone. You cited a number of great alternatives, including taxis and streetcars. We're always happy to arrange transportation for our guests; just say the word, and you'll be good to go. Of course, traveling on foot is sometimes the best option, and certainly the best way to discover the city's hidden gems.

Overall, it sounds like you had a great stay, and we'd love the chance to raise the bar with another visit. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help plan a trip.

Robert Bray

Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 days in June. I was with a bunch of people who chose to stay at their favorite hotels, some chose the W, the Hilton and the Sheraton. I love my location, it was central to everything we wanted to do. What I love about this hotel is the LOCATION, the staff and overall its nice. What I didn't like about this hotel is that, though I got a room on the 15th floor, supposedly facing the pool, room 1531 and 1533 are the 2 rooms that has no view except the rooftop. The rooms with pool view starts on the 6th floor up and room must have odd numbers and no further than (29). Needless to say, I made the most out of my stay. I spent a lot of time in the pool but it only gets sun later on the afternoon like 1pm on or some parts of the pool gets sun earlier during the day as the other building is blocking the sun. The rooms are fairly small but the beds are consistent with the Marriott quality - COMFY! Huge lobby with bar is a fun place to hangout and people watch, lots if TVs and comfy couches. The Starbucks is a lifesaver in the morning after having too much fun the night before or shall I say early morning? Bars and places do not close until pretty much early morning. The restaurant 5fifty5 is a favorite of mine. I cannot wait to come back and stay here again but only next time I know what room to ask for or I hope they just give me a nicer room with a view for being a repeat guest.

• Stayed June 2013
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

From the moment that we arrived, on a very busy Friday, we were greeted by an outstanding group of valet attendants, check-in was quick and an extra foam pillow was delivered within 5 minutes of checking in (we requested it at check-in).

We stayed on the 20th floor in the River Tower (original tower) and as busy as it was over the weekend, we only heard our neighbors once. The most noise came from the streets below.

The beds were super comfy, the rooms were extremely clean and the hotel is situated at the start of the French Qtr., across from downtown. The pool (two of them; one is 2' 6" and another has a depth of 8') was very busy over the weekend but there's a nice breeze up there (5th floor).

I would have given this hotel 5 stars all the way across if it wasn't for the horrible service that we received in the restaurant 5Fifty5. The lady (Anna?) on our departure day had no personality, seemed upset, never smiled and was just flat out rude! I can expect service like that in the Qtr., but not at Marriott.

The poor restaurant service wouldn't deter me from returning, but I do hope that management evaluates their staff. We spent a lot of money in that hotel and we deserved to be treated better. She just had an "attitude".

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Monika G, the title of your review says it all! Service, comfort, and location are all boxes that we hope to check during a stay. We make it a priority to provide the same quality, no matter how busy we are, and I think that showed when you arrived on a busy Friday. The peace and quiet you experienced is also a hallmark of the Marriott brand. Even with the hustle and bustle outside our doors, there's plenty of serenity to be found inside.

I'm so sorry as it sounds like you had a less-than-ideal dining experience. Rest assured; on your next visit to 5Fifty5, you will not run into the same problem. We will make sure you encounter associates with a great disposition. I will share your comments with our restaurant team so we can learn from your experience.

We hope to see you here in New Orleans again soon!

Marriott New Orleans

Been to New Orleans Marriott? Share your experiences!