“Did not live up to internet images” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Buy Two, Get One FREE!
Ranked #30 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Did not live up to internet images”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We booked this hotel following a recommendation in a well-known travel guide. We also checked it out on the Internet and it looked a great find - good location and a period property. Unfortunately it did not live up to expectations. It is tired and seems past the best shown in its Internet pictures. The outside areas seemed to need a good tidy up and the pool was out of action. It appeared to have been unused for a while as the water was a vivid green colour resembling a swamp - there were even jokey signs about alligators. There was also an issue with our booking - we had booked a suite as we were three adults travelling together but had been downgraded to a double room. We ended up moving to the sister hotel The Frenchman because an alternative was not available for the duration of our booking.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We have stayed here at least a dozen times during the last 8 years. We chose this hotel for it's charming New Orleans look and feel and was pet friendly. We arrived on Saturday, July 21 to discover that the hotel was sold last April 2012 to new owners. The pool was bright pond green and you could not see the bottom. The staff said the pool was chemically balanced and safe to swim in. I don't think so. The room needed major maintenance. The toilet would not flush solids. The hot water knob on the sink spined in a circle so you had to figure out where off was. The hot water knob in the shower was so tight that it took 2 hands to turn on and off. The mattress was extremely uncomfortable. The TV in the room was a tiny 14 inch screen. Many of the light bulbs were burnt out. Scariest part of all was that the smoke detector was broken and half missing off the wall. We requested a different room the following morning and then discovered that the hotel was no longer pet friendly. We were literally forced to checked in 30 minutes! This used to be a great place but it's not any more. Please see the photo of the pool that I have attached. Would you swim in this?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Little Rock
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

When I started planning a trip to New Orleans last month, I was surprised to find the Lamothe House as one of the most affordable choices around. I had stayed there a few times several years ago, and I thought it was wonderful. I booked four nights through bookit for mid-July. When we arrived, I was surprised to see the hotel had run down considerably since the last time I was there. Our room had been renovated with very inexpensive materials and mostly with furnishings that matched the renovations. The mattress left a lot to be desired, the ice machine didn't work, the pool pump was out, and I could go on.. The place just seemed to need a lot of love. The charm I remember from before had been lost.
On a positive note, the location was wonderful, the price was among some of the least expensive in or near the quarter, and the parking was very convenient. If you are lucky enough to be there while Rene' is working, you will meet one of the most kind and professional people you will ever meet. I hope the owners realize what an asset he is.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Burnaby, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I will preface this review by saying that we are very hardy travellers, having slept in fields in India, ice-caves in the mountains and on the beach. When we are paying 200.- per night we are not camping. On a positive note the location is great. On the edge of the French Quarter - close to great food and shopping but quiet at night. The pool was great, too.
That said, the room its-self was terrible, especially for the rate we paid. My husband made the reservation and was assured that there would be beds for all four of us. When we arrived there was a king bed, and day bed that was about 30" wide. When we got the cot for our son it was so saggy we had to take the mattress and put it on the floor.The mattress was thin and lumpy and didn't have a mattress pad, we ended up folding a dingy blanket and using it as padding. The furniture was "antique" and had parts broken off, the curtains were saggy. There were no bed-side tables and the lighting was inadequate.
The bathroom was awful! The vanity was coming off the wall, there was someone else's make-up on the wall and the caulking around the tub was black and the faucet was about 3" off the wall with a gaping hole behind it. These are all repairs that can be made, even if the building is 200 years old. We stayed in a 400 year old farm building in Italy that was in much better repair.
On top of all of this, the new management began phasing out the complimentary breakfast during our week long stay! I'm all for authentic character but don't use it as an excuse for shabby (not chique)!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Juneau, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Two and one-half months in advance, we reserved four nights with a queen bed, and an additional single night separated by ten days of travel in the state in order to fly home from the city. We were first scheduled in a room in a building behind the LaMothe on a different street, but after complaining, we were moved to the courtyard. The room was very small, and the bed was a double bed, not even full size, for two adults. After complaining, they did adjust the room rate down to the double bed rate. On our return, the bed we had was again a double bed, and felt like straw. It was a miserable night's sleep. On the plus side, staff was excellent. They assisted the best they could with what is available there without getting angry or testy. If you are two older adults needing an extended stay, this may not be the place for you. The rooms are very small and not very comfortable. May sister/husband and two adult children had the same problem and had to stay in a separate building from the LaMothe House.

Room Tip: Ask to be in the main house and queen bed.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

my husband and I visit New Orleans usually twice each year and have stayed at the Lamothe house on several occasions. we stayed there in the past because they was pet friendly. I am not writing this to give Lamothe House a bad review or anything like that, I just want to let other pet lovers that may be as disappionted as we are that Lamothe House has changed their views on pets another option other than the Lamothe House. We stayed at the Rathbone Mansions 3 weeks ago and all 3 of our dogs were allowed to stay with us. if you decide to book with the Rathbone (even if you book thru bookit) call them first and ask if room 115 is available...let them know that you are wanting to bring your pets and they will let you know what to do ..I had my concerns about staying there after reading some negative reviews, but i had nothing but a positive relationship with both Pat and Tina when trying to book my room. It is a little bit more out of the way than Lamothe House, but I didn't care about that as long as my babies were there with me...like I said 115 is an incredible room, has a very comfortable bed. It is a suite has bedroom with TV, living room with tv and 2 couches, bathroom and a kitchenette and the dogs can run around the closed in courtyard. I called first told her I was booking thru bookit and was given a pet code, if you call first maybe you can see if room 115 is available..I booked it for 3 nights and it was 257.oo and then I called and wanted to come a day early (got to check in at 10;00 a.m at no extra charge) i was only charged 50.00 for the room for the extra night and 50.00 for my pet charge...Sorry Lamothe House but I am pretty sure I am not the only pet lover that is upset that you no longer accept pets.

Room Tip: go to the Rathbone Mansions if you need a pet friendly room!
Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Lamothe House Hotel? Share your experiences!