We rented the Maison Dupuy Carriage House for my recent milestone birthday. It is a beautiful property on the edge of the French Quarter and we had both good and bad experiences during out stay so I will share that info here for interested parties....
THE BAD: the property boasts a "Private Courtyard" for the Carriage House. This private courtyard is the ONLY entrance/exit for your "house".The courtyard is about 15 feet wide and 30 feet long...not very big, but it is lovely and mostly private.
1) There was construction going in on some of the buildings next door to the courtyard so it was not very peaceful.
2) They held a wedding in our so-called private courtyard without any warning!! We were literally trapped in our rooms from 10am-1pm while this small wedding occured. Can you imagine crashing a small wedding in real life?? LOL.."Hey we're Uncle Ned's kids!" We found humor in it after the fact but lets face it - this is not acceptable. We woke up after partying all night and into the morning to hearing a wedding 7 feet outside of our bedroom window. Wow.
3). The previous day we were in the courtyard in our pajamas & underwear (again after partying all night and into the morning) when the Banquet Manager showed up with a group of people touring the courtyard for a wedding. ...while we were in our underwear and couldn't get up to go back inside. I was looking at her and mouthing are you kidding me?? But she just kept on giving the tour and the people who were with her didn't budge. Again, surreal. And again, unacceptable.
4) The maid service was pretty durn bad. We had to call them to ask them to come service our room & bring us towels. And they took our room service food trays from inside the carriage house and left the stuff on our table outside in the courtyard. When the maid showed one day and we just asked for towels she said "Good. Because this place is too big to clean". Really? Wow I thought thats what you did for a living??
5) The property backs onto a street which is a little dicey, from a safety standpoint.. One day we opened the windows onto the back of this property to allow some fresh air and ambiance in and the next thing you know there was a stabbing right outside that door/window. Wow -that's a first for me....
ISSUE #6) Parking at $40/night is pretty crazy...But still safer than being on the street.
1) The place is BEAUTFUL! I have stayed there many times throughout my life and always enjoyed it.
2) It's a unique offering...The Carriage house has incredible potential when you need to house a party of 4 or 5. The separate king rooms with en suites, the benefit of a kitchen (no stove/oven), and it's all in the same house, with it's (mostly) private courtyard...Sweet!
3) The people are VERY friendly & It's in the French Quarter only 2 blocks from Bourbon St.
4) The Beds are unbelievably comfortable!! I can't say enough about this - comfort is good.
5) Later in our stay, we did have a housekeeper that was so accomodating! She kept us stocked with milk & sugar for our coffee and towels for bathing.
6) MOST IMPORTANTLY: The manager is open to feedback and when I shared the issues we had she made it worth our while to return again.
Based on all of this and it's unique ability to house a group of people in one spot, I would definitely go back. I love NoLA despite it's worn and sometimes dirty patina. And yes our stay was imperfect but frankly Scarlett....This hotel is lovely, despite the issues!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, HotelTravel.com, getaroom.com, Priceline, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your Maison DuPuy reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maison Dupuy New Orleans
- Maison Dupuy Hotel New Orleans