“Challenging stay..but worth it” 4 of 5 stars

Maison DuPuy
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 Toulouse Street, New Orleans, LA 70112   |
Ranked #45 of 152 hotels in New Orleans
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Challenging stay..but worth it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We rented the Maison Dupuy Carriage House for my recent milestone birthday. It is a beautiful property on the edge of the French Quarter and we had both good and bad experiences during out stay so I will share that info here for interested parties....

THE BAD: the property boasts a "Private Courtyard" for the Carriage House. This private courtyard is the ONLY entrance/exit for your "house".The courtyard is about 15 feet wide and 30 feet long...not very big, but it is lovely and mostly private.
1) There was construction going in on some of the buildings next door to the courtyard so it was not very peaceful.
2) They held a wedding in our so-called private courtyard without any warning!! We were literally trapped in our rooms from 10am-1pm while this small wedding occured. Can you imagine crashing a small wedding in real life?? LOL.."Hey we're Uncle Ned's kids!" We found humor in it after the fact but lets face it - this is not acceptable. We woke up after partying all night and into the morning to hearing a wedding 7 feet outside of our bedroom window. Wow.
3). The previous day we were in the courtyard in our pajamas & underwear (again after partying all night and into the morning) when the Banquet Manager showed up with a group of people touring the courtyard for a wedding. ...while we were in our underwear and couldn't get up to go back inside. I was looking at her and mouthing are you kidding me?? But she just kept on giving the tour and the people who were with her didn't budge. Again, surreal. And again, unacceptable.
4) The maid service was pretty durn bad. We had to call them to ask them to come service our room & bring us towels. And they took our room service food trays from inside the carriage house and left the stuff on our table outside in the courtyard. When the maid showed one day and we just asked for towels she said "Good. Because this place is too big to clean". Really? Wow I thought thats what you did for a living??
5) The property backs onto a street which is a little dicey, from a safety standpoint.. One day we opened the windows onto the back of this property to allow some fresh air and ambiance in and the next thing you know there was a stabbing right outside that door/window. Wow -that's a first for me....
ISSUE #6) Parking at $40/night is pretty crazy...But still safer than being on the street.

Now...THE GOOD:
1) The place is BEAUTFUL! I have stayed there many times throughout my life and always enjoyed it.
2) It's a unique offering...The Carriage house has incredible potential when you need to house a party of 4 or 5. The separate king rooms with en suites, the benefit of a kitchen (no stove/oven), and it's all in the same house, with it's (mostly) private courtyard...Sweet!
3) The people are VERY friendly & It's in the French Quarter only 2 blocks from Bourbon St.
4) The Beds are unbelievably comfortable!! I can't say enough about this - comfort is good.
5) Later in our stay, we did have a housekeeper that was so accomodating! She kept us stocked with milk & sugar for our coffee and towels for bathing.
6) MOST IMPORTANTLY: The manager is open to feedback and when I shared the issues we had she made it worth our while to return again.

Based on all of this and it's unique ability to house a group of people in one spot, I would definitely go back. I love NoLA despite it's worn and sometimes dirty patina. And yes our stay was imperfect but frankly Scarlett....This hotel is lovely, despite the issues!

Room Tip: If you are staying at the Carriage House make sure to enquire if they have any weddings or tours pla...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
MaisonDupuyMGT, General Manager at Maison DuPuy, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
I appreciated all your comments about your recent stay with us nancyloveswine. Though you made many positive comments, we still fell short by not informing you of the wedding that took place in the rear courtyard as it part of our public space. We will be discussing your review in our upcoming operations meeting to ensure that guests’ needs are always our top priority.

Thank you for your review.

326 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Lakewood, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

ok............. rooms aren't as clean as they could be and had to hunt down housekeeping several times for towels. Front desk employees very nice and helpful. great location, close to everything and far enough away from Bourbon street that the noise doesn't bother you in the evening

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Casuke, I appreciated that you took time out of your busy schedule to write a review of our hotel. I am sorry that your room was not as clean as it should have been. I hope you will stay with us again if your travels should ever bring you back to New Orleans.
Southwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I stayed here with a few friends and I really enjoyed this hotel. The room was clean, the bed was super comfy (headboard was broken, yikes), restroom a little dated but still nice. The location is perfect, walking distance to bourbon street and other places of interest. Oh it was quite, I thought it'd be loud but it wasnt, which is really great!!!! I ate at the restaurant down below, I had a salad, not that impressive, wilted and the server wasnt that nice. However, the front staff were all very helpful and so nice, they made me feel welcomed! Id definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback luvtoCancun. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience in the Bistreaux. Our Food & Beverage team will use this to help train. I will also pass on your nice comments about of Front Desk team. The bathrooms, along with the entire hotel, we have fresh and modern look soon with our renovation starting this summer.
I look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to New Orleans!
The Pas, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

This hotel has the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on! When you are in New Orleans and need a hotel close to Bourbon Street, I would recommend this one. The service is exceptional. Parking is extra, but the staff take care of it for you, and bring the vehicle back when you check out.

• Stayed November 2013
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at the hotel 275summer. I appreciate your comment about our employees. We get many compliments on our beds!
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Lovely hotel, just few blocks from Bourbon Street, close to action but far enough for needed rest. You'll walk a lot in the French Quarter. The hotel has historic background, service very good, concierge helpful and meals (breakfast in courtyard, dining room and room service) were very good. Ask for room facing courtyard, if you'd rather not hear crowds from street, especially during Mardi Gras, then again, maybe a room facing street might be fun! You never know what you'll see during the festivities. The hotel will arrange tours, activities and you may get to look in on an authentic southern wedding ceremony.

Room Tip: Room facing courtyard, if you prefer quiet stay.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
We never get tired of reading such kind words as yours Rosebud50402! Thank you for taking time to write a review and acknowledge our staff!
Souther England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I spent 4 nights at this hotel and really loved it. The location is perfect, within 5 mins walk of Bourbon Street and the heart of the French Quarter, but in a very quiet road. The rooms are fairly small by US standards, and nice rather than luxurious, but this is a historic area - if you want large luxury rooms, there are plenty of identikit concrete hotels in the central business district. Many rooms have small balconies with table and chairs, some (like mine) overlooking the pretty interior courtyard and pool. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in, and despite the hotel being very full, the room was really quiet. Breakfast is amazing and can fill you up for the whole day if you want. The pool is as lovely as it looks on the website, and warm as a bath. I'd give this hotel 4.5 stars, taking off half a star for two reasons: the staff are lovely and friendly but the service can be disorganised at times, especially in the bar/restaurant and at reception. There was a long queue when I was checking in, past midnight so we were all very tired, but one poor guy was trying to look after us all so it took forever, even though someone else was with him behind the desk. They also play quite loud piped pop music in the courtyard from very early in the morning until late - personally, I didn't mind this at all, and the French windows to the balcony were very efficient at keeping out the sound so it never woke me up, but others in our party found it very annoying. But apart from those small points, this is a really great hotel and I recommend it very highly.

Room Tip: Facing the courtyard and with a balcony, on floors 3 or 4.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
MaisonDupuyMGT, General Manager at Maison DuPuy, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Maison Dupuy traveler_constant. Our location is nearby many sights in the city: Bourbon Street, Jackson Square and many historic sites. Our balcony’s and courtyard are a spectacular addition to what makes our hotel so special.
I do apologize for the delay during your late night arrival. Also, I will share your comments with our Food & Beverage team so we can improve in this area. Thank you for the detailed review.
Fremont, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

From our balcony we had a lovely view, could enjoy drinks and breakfast and take great pictures. The bed was wonderful, bedding everything that I wished and the flowers and chocolate covered strawberries were waiting for us in the room prior to our arrival.

Location is fantastic. AC worked great, it is far enough off the very busy FQ crowds that is relatively quiet. Staff was wonderful! Details in room are very nice - but the balcony was the bomb!

Downsides: Pool is small, food a bit overpriced - but you are so close to meals in the quarter, and the happy drinks are not very good. Cocktails are such a hot thing right now, then why do hurricanes and margaritas still taste like they come out of a mix or a box - taste is not good. Go elsewhere for drinks, or even better, hit some of the great restaurants for cocktails worth having.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony on Burgundy - rooms facing the courtyard and pool are likely to be far...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I appreciate the detailed review you gave us marthadreams. I could not agree with you more about our balcony rooms. Our pool is actually one of the largest within the French Quarter. We will continue to work of those drinks! Thank you for staying with us.
Steve Ferran General Manager

Been to Maison DuPuy? Share your experiences!