“Best Hotel in French Quarter” 5 of 5 stars

Maison DuPuy
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 Toulouse Street, New Orleans, LA 70112   |
Ranked #44 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
NY
“Best Hotel in French Quarter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Lovely hotel, just few blocks from Bourbon Street, close to action but far enough for needed rest. You'll walk a lot in the French Quarter. The hotel has historic background, service very good, concierge helpful and meals (breakfast in courtyard, dining room and room service) were very good. Ask for room facing courtyard, if you'd rather not hear crowds from street, especially during Mardi Gras, then again, maybe a room facing street might be fun! You never know what you'll see during the festivities. The hotel will arrange tours, activities and you may get to look in on an authentic southern wedding ceremony.

Room Tip: Room facing courtyard, if you prefer quiet stay.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
MaisonDupuyMGT, General Manager at Maison DuPuy, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
We never get tired of reading such kind words as yours Rosebud50402! Thank you for taking time to write a review and acknowledge our staff!
Steve Ferran General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Souther England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I spent 4 nights at this hotel and really loved it. The location is perfect, within 5 mins walk of Bourbon Street and the heart of the French Quarter, but in a very quiet road. The rooms are fairly small by US standards, and nice rather than luxurious, but this is a historic area - if you want large luxury rooms, there are plenty of identikit concrete hotels in the central business district. Many rooms have small balconies with table and chairs, some (like mine) overlooking the pretty interior courtyard and pool. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in, and despite the hotel being very full, the room was really quiet. Breakfast is amazing and can fill you up for the whole day if you want. The pool is as lovely as it looks on the website, and warm as a bath. I'd give this hotel 4.5 stars, taking off half a star for two reasons: the staff are lovely and friendly but the service can be disorganised at times, especially in the bar/restaurant and at reception. There was a long queue when I was checking in, past midnight so we were all very tired, but one poor guy was trying to look after us all so it took forever, even though someone else was with him behind the desk. They also play quite loud piped pop music in the courtyard from very early in the morning until late - personally, I didn't mind this at all, and the French windows to the balcony were very efficient at keeping out the sound so it never woke me up, but others in our party found it very annoying. But apart from those small points, this is a really great hotel and I recommend it very highly.

Room Tip: Facing the courtyard and with a balcony, on floors 3 or 4.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
MaisonDupuyMGT, General Manager at Maison DuPuy, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Maison Dupuy traveler_constant. Our location is nearby many sights in the city: Bourbon Street, Jackson Square and many historic sites. Our balcony’s and courtyard are a spectacular addition to what makes our hotel so special.
I do apologize for the delay during your late night arrival. Also, I will share your comments with our Food & Beverage team so we can improve in this area. Thank you for the detailed review.
Fremont, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

From our balcony we had a lovely view, could enjoy drinks and breakfast and take great pictures. The bed was wonderful, bedding everything that I wished and the flowers and chocolate covered strawberries were waiting for us in the room prior to our arrival.

Location is fantastic. AC worked great, it is far enough off the very busy FQ crowds that is relatively quiet. Staff was wonderful! Details in room are very nice - but the balcony was the bomb!

Downsides: Pool is small, food a bit overpriced - but you are so close to meals in the quarter, and the happy drinks are not very good. Cocktails are such a hot thing right now, then why do hurricanes and margaritas still taste like they come out of a mix or a box - taste is not good. Go elsewhere for drinks, or even better, hit some of the great restaurants for cocktails worth having.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony on Burgundy - rooms facing the courtyard and pool are likely to be far...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I appreciate the detailed review you gave us marthadreams. I could not agree with you more about our balcony rooms. Our pool is actually one of the largest within the French Quarter. We will continue to work of those drinks! Thank you for staying with us.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Absolutely one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in...and I have stayed in some of the best hotels all over the United States. The Maison DuPuy has a nostalgic charm and is located directly within the French Quarter. Although I enjoyed the beauty of the hotel, I was mostly impressed with the staff. The entire staff was unbelievably accommodating, charming, and pleasant but the concierge Sarah was invaluable! Sarah knew us by name and was honest about what tours and restaurants she thought were best for us. Throughout our trip Sarah made several reservations for us and set-up several tours for us. She truly made our trip easy and a joy! Other wonderful pleasures about the Maison DuPuy was the excellent sound proofing in the rooms, very comfortable beds, and delightful restaurant located directly within the hotel. I truly will never be staying anywhere else in New Orleans! Thank you Maison DuPuy!!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us DrDee003. We can’t tell you how much our staff will enjoy hearing your compliments! I will be sure to share your comments with Sarah. Our entire staff takes such pride in providing personalized service.

We look forward to seeing you again real soon!

Crestview, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I love this hotel. The rooms are clean and comfortable, two restaurants, pool, gracious and helpful staff and perfect location. I grew up coming to New Orleans to see family and fell in love with the French Quarter charm and this hotel has plenty of that. I highly recommend this hotel to friends and I stay here ever time I go to New Orleans. I will be back in December to watch my wonderful Saints play ball.

Room Tip: The courtyard view is very nice but so is the roof top view. I prefer the courtyard, its quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Your kind praise for our staff is sincerely appreciated and will be passed along to the team Joanna T.
We look forward to welcoming you back in December to our hotel!
Southern Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I was in New Orleans for a meeting and the meeting planner booked the hotel. I was driving and used the valet parking with no problem, but it's expensive at $36 a day. My room was on the 4th floor with a view of the courtyard, which was nice. The room itself was very basic. It was small, which was to be expected due to the age of the hotel. The bathroom is one of the smallest I've ever seen. The door barely cleared the front of the toilet. The room really shows its age, but it was clean. My biggest complaint is that the walls are very thin and I could hear the neighboring room partying at 3 am in the morning when they came back from Bourbon street. You are only 2 blocks away from all the action in the French Quarter. It wasn't a bad experience, but I would probably pick a different hotel if I was choosing the location.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your detailed review of the hotel Maysen. We are excited about our upcoming renovation of the hotel that will give us a completely updated appearance.

I truly do hope that you will visit us once again to experience our new product by this time next year.
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Attended a business meeting at this hotel and stayed the night before and the night after. Sales staff was nice to work with in the pre-planning phase. Hotel is in a good location for getting around the French Quarter. Small lobby seems chaotic when very many people are there. Front desk staff helpful and friendly. We had a suite but it was very small, as you might expect in a historic hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at the hotel Traveler from the Midwest. I will share your remarks with our Sales Team and our Front Office Manager.
Steve Ferran General Manager

Been to Maison DuPuy? Share your experiences!