“Great hotel, poor service” 4 of 5 stars

Maison DuPuy
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 Toulouse Street, New Orleans, LA 70112   |
Ranked #43 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
New York City, New York
“Great hotel, poor service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 2 night at Maison Dupuy while on business trip.
I love the location, and the charm of this hotel. Very NOLA to me. The room was big and nice, the downside was the cleanliness. It was ok but I would have expected more from that property. They did not replace the soap not the body lotion I used the first night for my second night. I found the mattress not very clean either.
The other downside was the staff (front desk and waitresses at Bistreaux). They were not friendly at all, no "Hello" no "welcome" when I checked in...
I asked to get my breakfast quickly if possible as I had to catch a flight : the waitresses were staring at me and just said "we will bring it as soon as it is ready"... They didn't do any effort to serve it faster. No smile from the beggining till the end. I ask for a green tea: one of the waitresses said she would bring it to me, but forgot (she was busy watching good morning America on the tv screen in the restaurant).
The valet parking staff was on the contrary very nice and helpful.
The plus of this hotel would be the beautiful inner courtyard with the fountain where I enjoyed to seat while working in the evening.

• Stayed June 2013
Ray C, Manager at Maison DuPuy, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Audrey C, we appreciate your detailed review of your recent stay with us. I was disheartened to read your comments about the housekeeping services and breakfast in the Bistreaux. I will be following up with the respective department managers to ensure that your issues do not happen again.

Steve Ferran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Maison Dupuy is a small, clean, charming courtyard inn on the north side of the Vieux Carre. The rooms are small, but quite clean and tidy, with views of either the courtyard or neighborhood. The off-season room rates are quite reasonable. Parking within the compound is available with valet service. It is expensive, but so is the alternative. If the French Quarter is a dominant consideration in your vacation plan, this is a nice small inn alternative. The breakfast service is only worth the price if you are a big breakfast eater........and then it is only so so.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Ray C, Manager at Maison DuPuy, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your recent experience with us Gary W. Our valet parking service is a nice amenity for our guests because we are able to park guest cars on sight for quick retrieval. Our prices for parking are very competitive within the Vieux Carre.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I have stayed at the Maison DuPuy many times, primariy during the Jazz and Heritage Festival. It is close walking distance to Bourbon Street and many of the top restaurants and attractions, yet just far enough away to be a tranguil oasis . It has all the Charm of New Orleans and the amenities that most people want but don't want to pay the exorbidant rates you will at other locations in the French Quarter. Not the cheapest in town, not the most lavish, but a Great value with its Pool, its restaurant, and access into and out of the Quarter by cabs which can be a real pain if you are nearer Jackson Square and the Heart of the action. The staff has always been friendly and courteous. I recommend this hotel highly, but if you are planning on attending teh Jazz and Heritage Festival, make you reservations long in advance and you might get a Great Rate.

Room Tip: Book in Advance
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ray C, Manager at Maison DuPuy, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
We never get tired of reading nice reviews like yours T W, thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review!

Our location is close enough to the sights in the French Quarter, but just far enough away from all the hustle and bustle! I appreciate you sharing the tip about advance reservations. The city of New Orleans hosts a wide variety of festivals throughout the year and it is always best to reserve your room in advance with the hotel directly to ensure you receive the best rates.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Because of my husband schedule as a nurse, we only can take a few days off, so we decide to go to New Orleans after a very good offer from Bookit.com. We choose Maison Dupuy, very close to everything, very easy access to Canal Street, two blocks from Bourbon Street, walking distance from French Market.
We arrived at 11.am Tuesday, hotel very clean, service very nice, front desk a little not helpful but nothing mayor. Our room was not ready at 1.00pm, (I know check in at 4.pm) but sometimes and in the middle of the week you can get the room early. The promotional welcome drinks was not offer at the time of check in, but I get it the next day by the pool, I asked the front desk for the two voucher and they were provided.
Room, not that big but for a very niche rest and far from the noise good enough, the only thing was not little refrigerator in the room even that they have a space under the TV stand to have a mini bar. The construction part is finish, so you don’t have to worry about any noise. My room has a view to a neighbors roof, but we actually don’t care.
The restaurant very overprice, a banana $3.00 a water $3.00 when you can have it for $1.00 or $1.50 walking distance. I really recommend changing the system for a very good brunch buffet or lunch buffet; will be better for the hotel guess and the hotel business as well. Its many other places to have breakfast, but for example our last day we want to stay by the hotel and have breakfast and we considered very overprice.
Overall I will visited again the hotel and off course New Orleans.

Room Tip: Pool view very nice from some of the rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ray C, Manager at Maison DuPuy, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
I appreciate the time you took to review our hotel aramos7145. I was disheartened to read your comments about our restaurant. We try to stay competitive with the surrounding neighborhood restaurants and will take your comments under review in our upcoming executive committee meeting.
We look forward to welcoming you back to New Orleans again real soon!
Alpharetta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I recently stayed a gain at the Maison Dupuy on Toulouse Str. at the far side of the French Quarter. It is a lovely old hotel in a quiet neighborhood with a beautiful and pleasant courtyard, even a saltwater swimming pool! The hotel also has it's own parking garage, which many hotels don't have. The rooms are well-appointed, many with balconies overlooking the Quarter or the courtyard. The hotel has 2 restaurants and a bar. The more casual of the 2 restaurants offered a breakfast every morning for a charge. The other restaurant is much more fancy. Room service is also offered. The staff is extremely friendly and will assist in any way. While we were there, there was a lovely wedding taking place in the beautiful courtyard!! It was great! I love staying at the Maison Dupuy!! A real French Quarter gem!

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 331, so that I could enjoy a balcony with a French Quarter view!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ray C, Manager at Maison DuPuy, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dylynn, thank you for your kind words of praise for our hotel. We are very proud of the services that we offer at the hotel and are delighted when guests take notice.

I hope that you will consider our hotel the next time your travels bring you back to New Orleans.

new york city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed during Jazz Festival and it was a perfect location. Quiet on that side of the quarter.Fayhe's Bar across the street was a nice local late night bar were we could hang, play pool and smoke. Easy to get everywhere,the valet parking was a plus when we needed to get uptown. Clean rooms,nice staff,nice courtyard. The only major problem was for the first 2 days we could have free coffee in the mornings,help yourself but then they tried to charge for coffee to a few of our friends and it wasn't clear what the policy was. Were told new owners were trying to change policy's . Quite frankly, coffee should be offered for free espiecially with the high cost of a room here, Only complaint.

Room Tip: Rooms on the courtyard very pleasant and a balcony is even better.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ray C, Manager at Maison DuPuy, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review of your recent stay with us annachef. I will bring up your concerns about complimentary coffee vs. paying for coffee in the next Food and Beverage meeting. It appears we need to do a better job of communicating with all guests as well as being consistent with charging.
For everyone’s convenience we have recently added coffee makers to each guest room as a convenience at no cost to our guests.
Rochester, New York, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Great location! Clean, boutiqey. Awesome Courtyard and cool saltwater pool. It was extremely expensive which I guess is understandable due to the French Quarter Festival. It is so close to Bourbon at, that you can't go wrong staying here for French Quarter fun.

• Stayed April 2013
Ray C, Manager at Maison DuPuy, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Jeremy H, we appreciate your thoughtful comments! New Orleans features a wide variety of festivals throughout the year; we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Steve Ferran

Been to Maison DuPuy? Share your experiences!