“Terrific place - just what I wanted” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Le Pavillon Hotel to your Saves list
Travelocity Booking.com
Le Pavillon Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   833 Poydras Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #7 of 152 hotels in New Orleans
Plymouth, England
“Terrific place - just what I wanted”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

This was my third visit to NO and this was certainly my best hotel experience in the city. If you want a chilly and characterless modern hotel wasteland - go somewhere else. This place is a delight. The staff are delightful and maximally helpful. Location - I walked everywhere including Congress Centre, French quarter, Superdome for a football game and I took the tram along Charles Avenue.
The interior is very special and distinctive - I loved it. Breakfast was excellent and the room was fine. My colleagues were also happy here. I will certainly use this place again and recommend it to you.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

1,488 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

The hotel and staff could not have been better. The decor was absolutely beautiful. I think that the location was perfect; far enough away not to be bothered by French Quarter late night action, but close enough to walk or hop on the streetcar (there is a stop very close to the hotel).

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

I traveled across country with a good friend of mine back in the mid-1990's and we stopped off for 4 days in N.O and stayed in this fine hotel. VERY old South and stylish...I felt like I was stepping into some movie set...all sorts of fine French styled furnishings and the staff was, of course, polite and helpful beyond belief. If you go to N.O., get a room here. Not cheap, but what 5 star hotel is...take a dip in the roof top pool too. Outstanding.

Stayed January 2006, traveled with friends
Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

The hotel is old. It has updated but you can still tell that it is old.
When we arrived we were greeted by the valet and the doorman who helped us out of the car and loaded our luggage to a cart. The check-in process was speedy and I was really happy that even though I reserved through a "discount" website they didn't stick us in an ugly room. The room was directly across the elevator which I though would have been a problem with noise but the 9th floor was quiet and relaxing.
When we tried to go out in the rain the doorman offered to get us a cab but due to the heavy rain we decided to stay and eat in the hotel. The service was good and the food was OK for hotel restaurant food. The hot chocolate was good and a nice touch.
The only problem I had was the water draining from the bath tub. It was slow to drain so it was a little gross to stand in yucky water and wait for it to drain before someone else can shower.
The parking for the valet is very secure so after reading some other reviews about security I was really happy that Le Pavillion takes car security serious. They have a lot next door to the hotel which has a gate so it is very safe.
Very happy with our stay so next time we head to NOLA we will consider staying there first.

Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

My husband and I stayed in mid-October for our first visit to New Orleans. Here’s an overview of our experience:

Room
We stayed in a standard room with a queen bed. The room was comfortable and clean upon arrival. The decor was a mix of French and Southern, the furniture was in good shape. Regarding noise - I don't think we heard another guest the entire time we were there - a definite plus. Housekeeping kept the room spotless, and the towels provided were plentiful. The air conditioning was quiet and worked well, which was great with temperatures in the upper 80's/low 90's.

Service/Staff
The staff we encountered were all wonderful. Everyone from the front desk to bellhop to doormen offered advice and greeted us with a smile. We didn't have any problems with the room or our stay that needed addressing. In fact, the only service we needed was a wake up call, which was on time.

Overall
Le Pavillon was a great experience, and the price was fantastic considering the opulent feel of the hotel. The Central Business District location is great - the side street leads right to Bourbon Street, if you're interested. The farther reaches of the French Quarter were an easy walk away. We felt safe walking in the area at all times. The hotel is also only a block or so away from both the Canal and St. Charles street car lines, and cabs were easy to get for farther trips. We didn't check out the bar or the food, so I can't offer any feedback in that respect. The rooftop pool was a delight after the high temperatures and humidity, and we were the only people there the two days we used it. Overall, Le Pavillon is highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Arcadia, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

Our stay was truly an enjoyable one. This was our second visit to the hotel, and if possible, more enjoyable than the first. The entire staff from the door person, to receptionist, to the dining room waiter were all very gracious and helpful.

Our room was beautiful and comfortable and decorated in period antiques.

Don't miss the breakfast buffett; it's awsome! The Crystal Room is a showcase of European elegance and style.

I'm sorry to say we were so tired from touring the city we couldn't participate in their traditional "peanut butter and jelly sandwich hour". Next time for sure!

Our thoughts and memories of this hotel will always be of how they have kept the Old South Tradition of charm, grace and elegance alive. A truly beautiful and elegant hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

My stay at Le Pavillion was probably the worst hotel stay I have had in some time. I expected a 4-star hotel experience and Le Pavillion definitely did not deliver. I will say that the front desk staff was very nice, as were the bellmen when they were there (there was no bellman when we arrived late for check-in). But, we had several problems during our stay. Each time we complained, the solution was simply to move us to another room. We stayed in four rooms during our four-night stay, which indicates that there is definitely a problem with the hotel.

1. Our first room was dirty. There was garbage on the floor and the bed was full of hair. The bathroom was in serious disrepair and in need of an upgrade. This room reminded me of a Best Western circa 1983.

2. Our second room also had garbage on the floor. The bed was clean, but the bathtub faucet leaked. Housekeeping had left the bath plugged, so the tub was about 1/3 full when we checked into the room. The biggest problem with this room was that at around 7am work started on two of the rooms down the hall. It was extremely loud with workmen with radios going by about every 15 minutes and doors slamming literally about every 30 seconds.

3. The third room, apparently an upgrade to deluxe, seemed that it would be OK. Though this was supposed to be a deluxe room, it was still not up to par with really any of the other high-end hotels where I've stayed. The housekeeping staff is very sloppy, leaving dust on everything. And, the bathroom door in this room stuck, which meant that almost every time my husband used the bathroom he had to jiggle the door for about 20 seconds before being able to exit the room. We were happy enough with this room, until 3am when the neighbors returned from their night of partying and started having a screaming fit, slamming doors and throwing things against the walls. After about an hour of this, I called to complain and was told that the staff already knew about the problem. If this were happening next door to my house, I would have called the police with a report of potential domestic violence. But, the hotel was apparently unequipped to deal with this kind of disturbance, and so let it continue. After I called to complain the woman next door kicked the man out and we finally had some peace...until 10am when she called her husband on the phone and started in again. When I called to complain I was told that a manager would address the issue right away. An hour later when I went downstairs to talk to the manager in person, she was completely unaware that the problem had resumed. This seems like a pretty serious issue to have overlooked. I can't believe the hotel let this kind of behavior continue and did not evict these people.

4. I related this entire story to the manager, and was moved (yet again!) to a suite, room 830. We did recognize this as a very nice gesture in order to compensate for the problems we'd encountered. To be honest, however, I was told this was the largest, nicest suite in the hotel and I was extremely surprised that a hotel of this caliber would not have a better room than suite 830. The suite was quiet, which was really what we were hoping for. We spent two nights in the suite and thought it was fine. But, I would much rather have gotten my money back after the first night and moved to another hotel.

The hot water in 830 is problematic. My husband and I both took cold showers our first night. Again, the bathrooms remind me of a Best Western. I can't believe that this hotel could convince someone to pay for the bath service to take a bath in those nasty bathrooms. The room with the king bed was small. And, the TV in the king bedroom turned itself on. I have no idea what could have happened, but it turned on by itself. Most of the towels are frayed and worn. And, those bedspreads really need to go. They are stained and disgusting. I don't know that I've stayed at any high-end hotel in the past 10 years that still uses bedspreads like that. Seems very unsanitary.

On the plus side, if I played the piano I would have enjoyed having one in the suite. My husband liked the large, flat-screen TV. The turn-down service was very nice, though I am quite confused by which rooms actually receive the service. We were not offered turn-down service for our first two nights. Only once we moved to the suite did we get the service. This seems exceptionally inconsistent, which I believe reflects badly on the hotel.

Again, we do recognize the effort to make our stay more pleasant by moving us to a suite. But, this hotel needs some serious renovation and the staff (particularly the cleaning staff) needs to be trained to pick up the garbage (even if they don't vacuum), dust the phones in the bathrooms, and ensure there is no hair in the beds.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Pavillon Hotel? Share your experiences!