“COMFORT PLUS ELEGANCE” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Pavillon Hotel

You added Le Pavillon Hotel to your Saves list
Le Pavillon Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   833 Poydras Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #8 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Certificate of Excellence 2014
palm springs, ca
“COMFORT PLUS ELEGANCE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

I stayed at this hotel on a recent pleasure trip along with a friend. We were there for four nights. The hotel was recommended by a friend from New Orleans, but the reviews in Tripadvisor convinced us to book. (Since I live in a major tourist location myself, I think that locals may not be the best source of information since they don't usually stay at the local hotels.)

Checked in about 8:00PM after a 30 hour Amtrak trip from New York. The room was ready and check in was a breeze. I love the fact that the hotel gives guests at least double the number of towels etc. usually left in a guest room. That way, if the hotel does not offer turn-down service, there are enough fresh towels for two showers per day. That in itself endeared Le Pavillon to me, since I was able to shower before exploring the French Quarter that night.

The hotel is beautiful. Decor is a combo of 17th, 18th, and Belle Epoche styles all very French. The room was big with an armoire, a desk , three chairs, a table plus a large closet. The bathroom was resplendent with its black marble and loads and loads of goodies -- over the top. The room was also made up very quickly and always ready when we returned before or after lunch.
We had dinner in the beautiful bar the evening before we left. The food was good although we had simple pub fare. Didn't eat in the dining room but it looked beautiful. I was surprised that the prices for food are so reasonable. This is often not the case for hotel food.

At first I did not like the location which is a few blocks from the French Quarter (perhaps 10 minute walk to Bourbon Street). The Pavillion is on the other side of Canal Street from the Quarter. However, after my first day in the French Quarter, a continual party, I began to appreciate the more subdued location. It is also close to the St. Charles Avenue line which goes to the Garden District.

There is really nothing to complain about regarding this hotel. There is a very nice and large rooftop pool. The place is classy, but the prices to me at least, seemed very very reasonable, even low. If I could make one suggestion, it would be to offer coffee in the lobby so I would not need room service to get me started for the day. However, they do have a wonderful evening tradition -- hot chocolate or milk and you make your own peanut butter and jelly sandwich each night in the lobby between ten and eleven PM.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Brookhaven,MS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

My stay at the Le Pavillon Hotel was the wonderful! The service and accomadations are truely 5 stars! The staff made sure that every whim I could think of was taken care of. I wanted reservations for one of Emeril's restaurant.....done. I wanted a day at a spa.........done. A quiet room on a quiet floor........done. Even my bath drawn.......done. This is a hotel that you must visit. The decor is beautiful. This is truely the best in New Orleans French flare. The staff remembered my name and always greeted me with a smile. I will be back. The service is worth every dime. I have stayed in lots of hotels in New Orleans, but this is the best! Oh, and if you are looking for a wonderful day spa, you must go to "Spa Atlantis" on Gravier Street. The service there was great! They have a great staff and the facilities are designed for true relaxation. The spa is a short walk from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Allen, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

Our trip started out rocky. We had a room where the a/c did not work. They quickly moved us to a different floor that had been renovated. Our room was clean and very nice. We had a fabulous time here. We will be back! The staff was wonderful!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Tampa, Fl
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

Reservation staff did not respond to a pre-arrival e-mail so I had to change rooms upon arrival. Beautiful exterior facade. Nice staff for valet, baggage handling,and check-in. After that all down hill. Sixth floor and my room in particular in need of refurbishment. Need a new maid as well. Excessive dust on the furniture and on top of the glasses in the bathroom and cotton ball holder. Pieces of candy rapper next to bed. Bathroom floor and tub stained. Mirror has numerous flaws. Wallpaper in bathroom peeling off. The bathtub faucet pulls away from wall when switching to shower. Bathroom countertop caulking falling off. Shower curtain full of dust, two rings broken, and mounted on rusted bar. Hard water stains on all bathroom hardware. Ordinary bed. There is no way this is a 4+ star hotel. If I had not booked through Hotwire I'd be out of here. Internet free but parking $28/night.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

So glad I stayed Here, This hotel is beautiful, I loved my room , Quiet, the best Cooks in La. lovely pool, location is great, we walked to the Superdome, can,t wait to return next year for the Essence Fest.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Richmond, Va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

Le Pavillion is a lovely old hotel. The overall decor and room furnishings are ornate and heavy (in other words, this hotel does not have a modern feel, but that's not a criticism). We stayed in a suite which was roomy, but nothing unexpected. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The nightly cookies and PB&J snacks are charming. My only complaint would be the rooftop pool. It's nice that it's there (and a main reason why we picked it), but it could use some sprucing up. When we visited in early June, the foliage around it was basically dead. There is absolutely no shade around the pool - not even a potted tree - and the pool water just bakes in the heat. The hotel is 4-5 blocks from the French Quarter, in the business district.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
New Orleans
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

For my husbands 40th birthday I spent months putting together the "perfect" party. I wanted him to remember it for the rest of his life! Im sure that I accomplished THAT, even though it was a Nightmare!

It started the day of the party. The caterer (At a local restaurant) called to tell us that a fire had damaged all the underground electrical lines in the quarter and they had no electricity. It was expected to return that evening but they could not garantee it. I called the hotel where we had our reservations for the weekend (We live about an hour from the city) Lights were out there as well. Thats where it all fell apart.

To make a long story short. No hotels were available since the people in the affected area had been moved to the outlying hotels with elect. I finally found the last room... At Le Pavillion. I was told by the operator that it was the last room and the price was 1,000.00 take it or leave it. (It was a suite so I thought OK it should be worth it) I took it since I had 30 people arriving for a candlelight dinner in less than an hour. They "made me pay for the room upfront. Like some common hour rental motel. Then after finally being checked in by the less than friendly front desk personnel. We (My Mother and myself) RAN to the room to get dressed. (We now had 45 min. till my husband arrived to his surprise party.) The room was full of antiques which had seen better days. But was hot as all getup. We adjusted the Air (MInd you we are in Louisiana, it was HOT) As I was blow drying my hair, POP the electricity went out! In the whole room. I called downstairs and someone showed up eventually. I now have 15 min. till the party. Guest have arrived. They got the electricity on and we bolted out the door! We grabbed a drink (And Lord knows we needed one) at the bar on the way out While in the cab we noticed the cost of 2 mimosas. $45.00 plus tax and tip!!!! Yikes What type of Champange did they use? Dom?

Anyway we made it to the party, which was salvaged, barely! When my husband and I returned to the room that night. The Air Conditioning had gone out again. It felt like a sauna. We called down again and someone came up and put some kind of laser thing at the vent and said "Its reading 65 degrees" as beeds of sweat dripped off his nose. To hell it was we said. He shrugged his shoulders and said it was all he could do since it was 3:00 am.
We then attempted to go to sleep. Not easy while your sweating profusely. My husband got up to turn off the TV (Which must have been an antique too, since it did not have a remote) and the door to the armoire fell off and hit him in the forehead! All I kept thinking was $1000.00 a night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Somewhere around 5:00am we were awakened by the sound of the window shade falling off the window. $1000.00 a night!
Im the morning, and there was no sleeping in, we ran down to the front desk to complain to the Manager and we were told they didnt know who that was at the time. They said they would have him call. (Never did get that call!)

We complained to our credit card company and when they called LePavillion to investigate they were told "The manager had gone up to hear our complaint about the electricity and the air and had found 25 peop[le in the room. Making it impossible for the AC to keep up.
WHAT?!?! What a bold face LIE! Everyone I knew was at the restraunt WAITING for us!!!!! These people are rude, money grubbing liars, who have NO customer service skills whatsoever!!!!
So, if you want to stay at this hotel, better bring 3 things... Your wallet, a flashlight, and a fan! And be prepared to go home exhausted!!!!!!! And Angry!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Pavillon Hotel? Share your experiences!