“Excellent Hotel and Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of International House Boutique Hotel

Expedia.com Booking.com
International House Boutique Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   221 Camp Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #46 of 152 hotels in New Orleans
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Excellent Hotel and Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

My friends and I stayed at the International House Hotel in New Orleans this past weekend. It was our first time staying at this Hotel. Very nice hotel, friendly staff, spacious rooms, great location to everything downtown. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who will be visiting New Orleans in the future. We will definitely be staying here again.

Thanks,
Demarcus A. Pickens, MPA, CPHQ

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
george3027, General Manager at International House Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2010
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write a positive review of International House. We take great pride in our hotel, our service and our customers. Thank you and we will see you again soon!!

712 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

Stayed here the weekend before Thanksgiving, loved the lobby, had reserved a penthouse room, which turned out to be not right for us. The management kindly changed us to another room and we enjoyed our stay. The restaurant connected to the hotel, Rambla, is lovely and the atmosphere in the bar of the hotel was great. Very central location and the rooms were nicely appointed. If looking for a non cookie cutter experience this is it!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

We love Rambla too and are so happy that you enjoyed it!!!

Jakarta, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

The positive things about the hotel: great location (off Canal Street but close enough to the French Quarter), the beds are firm. No-smoking policy is enforced. The wireless Internet worked great, except for the first day (I was told the whole system was down that day).

The bad things: windows do not open and thus I had to deal with stuffy/mildewy smell for the duration of my stay. No coffee/tea making equipment. My room was small (imagine a typical hotel in central Paris). The interior of the rooms was worn: huge burn-marks on the upholstery of the chair, the bathroom wallpapers were stained, it looked like the bathtub was about to fall off (there was a huge crack between the wall and the bathtub, all around). I asked for a quiet room but since it was facing the street, I heard lots of noise in the morning (early-morning garbage pick-up?). The house-keeping standard was mediocre--I found someone else's pubic hair in the bathtub my first day; and I found my own hair in the bathtub the second day! What's more, my second day there, I saw someone's room service tray outside their room--and it remained there until 6 in the evening! So I was not too sure about this hotel's hygiene standards after that--I am glad I did not see any cockroaches or rats in the corridor, though I am sure there would be some, if they make this a habit!

Now, the terrible thing: the staff. First, I was asked a 200 dollar deposit, because I wanted to pay in cash. This, I was told, was to enforce the non-smoking policy. Fine enough. Later, I found out that since they had my credit card details on record, I need not have paid such a huge sum for the deposit. Second, I had requested before my departure that I wanted the 200 dollar cash deposit back in crisp dollar bills--just like the brand-new bills I gave them when I checked in. I was told by the guy at the reception, no problem. And of course, when I checked out, they did not have crisp dollar bills and could only give me wrinkled ones--which are totally useless in SE Asia (where I live)! Third, I received a package and they lost it. The guy at the reception promised that he will "send a team to look for the package next morning in the basement and on the first floor", but of course, the person at the front desk the next day had not heard anything about this. So I never ended up receiving the package before my departure. Fourth, the person at the reception asked for my contact info so the manager could get back to me on the above issues. Of course, it was just lip service, didn't hear back from the hotel.

I really don't like to have one bad staff ruin my experience at a hotel, but honestly, the whole team needs improvement! This, and the combination of the bad things I mentioned above, was too much. If I were to visit NOLA again, I will definitely stay away from this hotel, and recommend others to do the same! The hotel looks "hip" on the outside, but obviously totally flaky.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to give us your comments on TripAdvisor. We do truly appreciate them. We are in the process right now of upgrading all of the fabrics in our rooms and will be done by the end of the year. We do strive for excellence and hit the mark 99% of the time. I am sorry that your stay was in the 1% and that the level of service that we are accustomed to delivering was not delivered to you. Please accept our most sincere apology. We do hope that when you travel to NOLA again, you will let us show you the service that we provide and a product that we know you will be pleased with.
St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

Just returned from our stay at the International House and it could not have been any better. The lobby and bar were perfectly decorated and a great place to lounge or grab a drink before heading out. The Rambla restaurant is superb! I would highly recommend eating there for dinner. We requested a corner room, superior king room and received one on the 10th floor. The veiw was great, the bathroom was modern and roomy, and the chandelier on the dimmer swtich was perfect for hanging out in the evening. I haven't even mentioned the people and they were a big part of making this hotel so great. From checkin, to the bartenders, to the service at Rambla, to the housekeepers, to the doorman.....everyone was extrememly friendly and helpful. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in New Orleans.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
george3027, General Manager at International House Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2010

Virginia Water, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

I used this hotel as it was all that was available during the NAR convention and I booked it on a Monday for a Wednesday arrival. The lobby is lovely - high ceilings, funky mood music playing and a quick and pleasant guy checked me in. My room was the smallest on the floor - probably in the hotel. It ws tiny, but I couldn't complain as I had left the booking very late. The double bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in - pure luxury. There was an alarm clock/radio with ipod docking facility. TV with millions of channels. Minibar was empty! Lost revenue opportunity there. The bathroom was supplied with the usual goodies. Shower over the tub which wasn't a good shower at all. Nice touch was the ironing board and iron. Shame there was no trouser press, nor a table and chair in the room - it was a small room but something could have been installed. So, overall avoid room 804, but I would stay there again provided I had a room with a table and chair to work on. Given my circumstances, I was lucky to get a room at all.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

It sounds like you were in one of our smaller rooms. All but 8 rooms have desks and chairs in them so please be sure to specify next time you book with us.

Thank you and we will see you again soon!!

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

Within 2 hours after arriving in New Orleans, as a pedestrian I was hit by a drunk driven of a large pick-up truck in the French Quarter. The hotel staff was absolutely great in so many ways, including allowing for a very late checkout without my incurring any additional fees.

There is no question that when I return to New Orleans next year I will be a guest at International House. A FABULOUS, thoughtful staff and hotel deserve customer loyalty!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
george3027, General Manager at International House Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2010

Lithonia, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

My husband and I were in New Orleans for a wedding in which the Internantional House Hotel was the host hotel. We were so pleased with our experience. We arrived before the official check in time and the young lady at the front desk was able to be check us in early and we werer able to relax before heading off to the wedding. The staff was so friendly and helped in everyway possible. If one of the staff members was unable to assist you with something they ALWAYS directed you to someone who could. Everything you needed was just a call away. The hotel was within walking distance to all attractions downtow, including Bourbon Street. The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful and quiet. It deviates from the "typical" hotel experience which makes this hotel great! I would definately stay here again!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Amy Reimer

Been to International House Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!