“Cool boutique hotel ideally located to enjoy the best of New Orleans” 4 of 5 stars
Review of International House Boutique Hotel

Save Saved
You added International House Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
International House Boutique Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   221 Camp Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #50 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Houston, Texas
“Cool boutique hotel ideally located to enjoy the best of New Orleans”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Good Points
Small number of rooms.
Very nice foyer with very cool cocktail bar.
Friendly staff.
Low key relaxed cosy atmosphere.
Free WiFi
Small but adequate gym for working out
Great location within easy walking distance of French Quarter

Bad Points
Can be pricy but picking dates where there are no big events happening in New Orleans can drop the room rate significantly.
No pool.
Expensive parking.
Rooms a bit small.
Maid service was not the best i have experienced
free coffee & fruit in foyer in the morning nice but a bit limited

Room Tip: Had a room at the front which was a little noisy at weekend but its New Orleans so to be expected wa...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Arlington, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My husband and I spent a long weekend here to celebrate our 10th anniversary. When we first pulled up, I'd thought I had made a mistake by booking a hotel so far away from "the main drag" but it turned out to be just a short walk from all of the action. The hotel lobby was lovely and the staff was friendly and accommodating. We stayed in a small room on the 9th floor, but it was just enough room. We didn't feel cramped and we didn't want to spend much time there anyway!
I booked through Travelocity and got a fabulous deal, so we were super pleased that we found the accommodations to be a 5!
We also got to see a movie being filmed the morning we left. We missed seeing Reese Witherspoon, but it was cool to see the crew in action getting everything ready. The staff still got us to out car in a reasonable time despite Camp St. being closed off.
Make sure you eat at August. It's two blocks away. Expensive, but worth every bite. And they offer a $20.14 prix fixe for lunch on Friday.

Stayed July 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Where should I start?! I went to New Orleans for a birthday weekend of fun and from the moment we stepped into the lobby, it set the tone for our entire weekend. The property is super tranquil, beautiful and fragrant. The rooms are large, well appointed and have everything you need. The location and proximity to the French quarter just can't be beat. Close enough to get everywhere we needed to be and far enough removed from the hustle and bustle to have peace and quiet when we wanted to sleep. The best part of the stay was the people. Shannon, Kenny, Steve and Adriane (in the bar) - along with several others - really helped take the experience from good to amazing. Another perk is that they were filming a movie in front of the hotel and we got to see Reese Witherspoon in action. Overall, we were well looked after, felt at home, ate well (thanks to great recs from staff) and I had a beautiful and unforgettable birthday weekend. When I come back to NOLA, I will certainly be staying here again and I hope you will too! Super amazing time!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Granted, we stayed here on July 4th weekend, which was an extremely busy weekend for NOLA, we ended up with the top 10 things about this location that travelers need to consider before booking. 1. There's no place to safely pull your car off the high traffic road in front of the hotel so each time you get into or out of your car, you must constantly check traffic behind you and move quickly to get in or out of your car before the light changes and traffic starts again. 2. Retrieving your car can take up to 30 minutes (busy weekend so take that into consideration). 3. No ice machine on your hotel floor, you must call downstairs and wait for someone to bring it to you. 4. No restaurant or any type of foodservice at hotel so don't forget to google that before you head there. When we booked 6 months ago we were told there was going to be a restaurant. NOT! 5. Don't forget your toothbrush, there's a $4 charge. 6. No major cable channels in the room so enjoy watching old episodes of TV Land. 7. Our bathroom had a leaky faucet and an annoyingly sweaky shower curtain rings first thing in the morning. 8. Bed was comfy but one day was remade with dirty pillow cases from the day before. 9. Bar didn't open until 4pm, once again, please leave the hotel to relax elsewhere. Although the bar, and the freshly crafted drinks, were the best feature about the hotel. 10. No pool or any place to relax and enjoy NOLA scenery except the bar area which was closed until the late afternoon.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

As a previous reviewer mentioned the lobby smells amazing. Every time we came back to the hotel I couldn't help but smile. It smelled so wonderful I got the name of the fragrance.
We just stayed for the weekend and I felt the location was perfect. Just far enough away for it not to be noisy but close enough to walk everywhere or take the streetcar.
The staff was hit or miss. I asked the front desk about the best non-touristy restaurant to get the best crawfish étouffée, the fist staff I asked just kinda looked at me blindly and said he had no idea....another staff overheard him and came out from the back to talk with me. He called the restaurant to confirm that they still had it.
The thing about New Orleans is you shouldn't be staying much in your hotel anyway...just to sleep and it was a pleasant sleep with a wonderful fragrance....especially after smelling the streets of the French quarter it was niece to return to something nice.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Hotel was wonderful. Lobby is very romantic with candles lit everywhere. Front desk staff was kind and very helpful. Rooms were nicely decorated.

The only complaint I have is with parking. It is an extra $35 a day and if you want your car, you will need to request it a hour early. I could have stayed an extra night somewhere with the extra price I paid for parking.

If you fly in and take a cab to this hotel, then I would recommend. If you are driving in or renting a vehicle, the cost of parking is enough for me to say don't stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Walking into the lobby I had no idea what to expect. There was no doorman to help us with our luggage which initially bothered me. However, Calgon take me away! The lobby smells amazing! I don't know if its the candles or something being pumped through the vents but wow. It was also very chic. The bar area was cute enough that I wanted to visit it asap. Our room was on the 2nd floor. I noticed that there were only 3 rooms on the floor. The room itself was nice! The chandeliers, artwork and furniture in the living room were tasteful. The bedroom furniture was average and a leg on a floor lamp was broken. I had to keep propping it back up. I loved that there was a ceiling fan! The bed was comfortable but firm (which my boyfriend loved.)
I will say that the street noise was overwhelming at times. It was SO LOUD. I was woken up several times at night. Our previous hotel was on the 3rd floor but we heard nothing. I am not sure if the windows need to be replaced or if we were just on a busy corner.
There was no room service or restaurant on the property which was a major bummer when coming home late, tipsy and hungry! The snacks that were available had to be purchased from the front desk and then you had to pay a delivery fee. Why not just put mini bars in the rooms?

I liked that there was free wifi (which worked beautifully) and empty refrigerators. Shower was great and bathroom was huge!

We checked out very early in the morning to make our flight. When I called the front desk to request a statement of the final charges, the man said shortly "it's already been delivered to you." When I checked the door though, it hadn't been. At the front desk he simply said "you room was paid for by someone else, right?" I said yes (it was... a comped room from an Essence Festival event). I guess that means we don't get to make sure that the card we placed on file wasn't charged? Hm. I wasn't impressed with his attitude. Maybe he isn't a morning person.

I would visit this hotel again but there are some rough edges that need to be smoothed out (doorman, snacks/room service, front desk early in the morning, street noise).

Room Tip: Stay in a room higher than the 2nd floor and NOT facing the street. Yikes! Also, bring your own snac...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to International House Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!