“Fabulous weekend getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of International House Boutique Hotel

Save Saved
You added International House Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
International House Boutique Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   221 Camp Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #52 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Chicago, Illinois
“Fabulous weekend getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

As a previous reviewer mentioned the lobby smells amazing. Every time we came back to the hotel I couldn't help but smile. It smelled so wonderful I got the name of the fragrance.
We just stayed for the weekend and I felt the location was perfect. Just far enough away for it not to be noisy but close enough to walk everywhere or take the streetcar.
The staff was hit or miss. I asked the front desk about the best non-touristy restaurant to get the best crawfish étouffée, the fist staff I asked just kinda looked at me blindly and said he had no idea....another staff overheard him and came out from the back to talk with me. He called the restaurant to confirm that they still had it.
The thing about New Orleans is you shouldn't be staying much in your hotel anyway...just to sleep and it was a pleasant sleep with a wonderful fragrance....especially after smelling the streets of the French quarter it was niece to return to something nice.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Hotel was wonderful. Lobby is very romantic with candles lit everywhere. Front desk staff was kind and very helpful. Rooms were nicely decorated.

The only complaint I have is with parking. It is an extra $35 a day and if you want your car, you will need to request it a hour early. I could have stayed an extra night somewhere with the extra price I paid for parking.

If you fly in and take a cab to this hotel, then I would recommend. If you are driving in or renting a vehicle, the cost of parking is enough for me to say don't stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Walking into the lobby I had no idea what to expect. There was no doorman to help us with our luggage which initially bothered me. However, Calgon take me away! The lobby smells amazing! I don't know if its the candles or something being pumped through the vents but wow. It was also very chic. The bar area was cute enough that I wanted to visit it asap. Our room was on the 2nd floor. I noticed that there were only 3 rooms on the floor. The room itself was nice! The chandeliers, artwork and furniture in the living room were tasteful. The bedroom furniture was average and a leg on a floor lamp was broken. I had to keep propping it back up. I loved that there was a ceiling fan! The bed was comfortable but firm (which my boyfriend loved.)
I will say that the street noise was overwhelming at times. It was SO LOUD. I was woken up several times at night. Our previous hotel was on the 3rd floor but we heard nothing. I am not sure if the windows need to be replaced or if we were just on a busy corner.
There was no room service or restaurant on the property which was a major bummer when coming home late, tipsy and hungry! The snacks that were available had to be purchased from the front desk and then you had to pay a delivery fee. Why not just put mini bars in the rooms?

I liked that there was free wifi (which worked beautifully) and empty refrigerators. Shower was great and bathroom was huge!

We checked out very early in the morning to make our flight. When I called the front desk to request a statement of the final charges, the man said shortly "it's already been delivered to you." When I checked the door though, it hadn't been. At the front desk he simply said "you room was paid for by someone else, right?" I said yes (it was... a comped room from an Essence Festival event). I guess that means we don't get to make sure that the card we placed on file wasn't charged? Hm. I wasn't impressed with his attitude. Maybe he isn't a morning person.

I would visit this hotel again but there are some rough edges that need to be smoothed out (doorman, snacks/room service, front desk early in the morning, street noise).

Room Tip: Stay in a room higher than the 2nd floor and NOT facing the street. Yikes! Also, bring your own snac...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicagoland, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

The hotel is nice and clean but we were not impressed with their customer service. Our first on-site experience was when we tried to check-in at 10:30pm on Saturday night after having driven over 13 hours. We already had a reservation for Sun-Thurs but had spoken to the hotel on the phone earlier in day asking if they had a room for Sat. night also. The woman we spoke with seemed very confused but ultimately said they did have a room and provided us with a confirmation number (but no email). When we attempted to check in, John at the front desk said they did not have a reservation for us and that they had no availability. He then called the woman we spoke with earlier in the day who lied and said she did not tell us they had availability. He said he was not able to help us find a room anywhere else. There was no manager on duty; however, I did speak to her on the phone (Natalie). She was not able to help me either and apparently could not get John to understand that he should use the computer and make phone calls to help us. We ultimately found our own hotel after 45 minutes of calling as there was no availability anywhere in the city of New Orleans on a Saturday night in June.

We then returned on Sunday for our existing reservation. Natalie spoke to me and apologized for the previous night and said that she would speak with the hotel general manager about our problem and have her call me. The GM never called me. Natalie did speak with her though and was given permission to offer us a slight reduction of our room rate for one night and also sent up some bottles of water, cookies and cheese puffs. Needless to say, we were underwhelmed with their response.

We stayed in room 901, which was a nice size. The hotel is clean and close to the French Quarter but not too close, which made it easier to access and keeps you away from the noise of the Quarter. The beds are only double so they are on the small side. Valet service is very slooooow!! It's outsourced so expect a minimum of 15-20 minutes before they can retrieve your car. We were burned twice by this problem, which caused issues with our schedule. Additionally, on the day we checked out, we waited 45 minutes because they brought the wrong vehicle.

The price of the room was better than many of the other hotels in the area so maybe we got what we paid for.

Room Tip: Ask for the larger rooms. Apparently they have some that are on the smaller side.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Great location, very affordable. The staff was all very attentive and polite. Natalie (Front Desk) took 10 minutes to thoroughly explain local sites. Extremely good value. Very swanky and laid back. It made for a very enjoyable weekend!

• Stayed June 2014
Lighthouse Point, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights in June. This place is so cute and romantic! Candles are lit all over the hotel lobby. Always smelled really nice! Short walk to canal street (maybe 2 blocks) The staff was very nice and helpful. The room was clean and very modern although it was a little on the small side but that's ok. The bathroom was very clean and large.

This hotel is extremely affordable! I feel like I stayed at a 4 star hotel for 2 star prices! The only thing I did not like about this hotel was the price of parking. It is $35 a day. There is a parking garage around the corner called The Whitney. We parked there for $30 per day. There are other lots around this hotel that you can park at for much lower prices. We saw them as low as $20.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Carbondale, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

I recently stayed at the IHB hotel on a 5 day trip to New Orleans as a couple and don't have a single complaint about it. Our trip was in early June, and though the weather was hot, the hotel was very close to the french quarter, but also on the side closer to the garden district. Being only two blocks away from Canal Street is especially important because it allows you to take the buses/streetcars effectively towards anywhere you may want to go. We ended up getting an interior queen room through TripAdvisor for well below the normal price, and though it was smaller in size, it was definitely worth it. The hotel seems to be catered more to couples, and feel as though it does a good job of doing so. I would recommend getting a coffee and granola from their breakfast (they only offer fruit as well), and then heading towards either Cafe Du Monde or Croissant D’Or Patisserie for an actual breakfast.

The only thing you should be weary about is trying to figure out parking. The hotel has catered parking that is either $30/night for just parking, or $35/night for in/out parking (can get car out at any time). I would honestly recommend trying to figure out another way to park for cheaper, seeing as four nights of stay for us at $35/night added up to more than an extra night of hotel stay.

Here's also a link to a great budget itinerary that we traveled with and worked really well:

Besides gas from Illinois to NOLA, we managed to spend less than $1000 over the course of 5 days, and feel as though this itinerary does a great job.

The only downside we had with our trip was that the amount of construction did affect which streetcars we could take, but this definitely wasn't a knock on the hotel, and I would definitely recommend a stay at the International House.

Room Tip: We didn't feel as though we missed out getting an interior room (no view, but a lot cheaper), an...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to International House Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!