“A Great Stay Just Minutes from the French Quarter” 5 of 5 stars
Review of International House Boutique Hotel

Save Saved
You added International House Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
International House Boutique Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   221 Camp Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #47 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Toronto, Canada
“A Great Stay Just Minutes from the French Quarter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the International House back in May for three nights on our first trip to NOLA. We were in NOLA for a wedding and while we spent a lot of time at the Grand Sonesta where the festivities were held, we were so pleased that we stayed at the International House and had such a lovely stay for a fraction of the price (we booked at a good rate about 10 weeks before our stay). We were pleased to have received a complimentary upgrade and our suite was a corner unit with a great view. The bedroom and bathroom were very clean and well appointed. The bed was also very comfortable. The location was great for us, a very close walk just over Canal Street to the French Quarter but also less noisy than staying on Bourbon St. The staff were friendly and helpful and we enjoyed having a drink in the beautiful bar off the lobby. We would definitely return!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

735 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Phoenix, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I'm going to try to be as fair in my comments.
I just completed a 3 day stay at the International House. I stayed there previously, years ago, and went back on the basis of a positive experience.
This time my stay was not good.
Upon arrival, I was informed that the room I had reserved, which was an interior room( street noise is significant) was not available because Hurricane Isaac ( a couple of weeks ago) had caused damage to these rooms. I was also informed that there was no in-house phone system and so I could use my cell phone to call the front desk. I was upgraded to a Suite, but it was on the second floor so it was loud and while shabby chic is nice, this was heavy on the shabby and sort of minimalist. The Suite had no room safe, no minibar, and no hot water. I was informed that the boiler had broken and they were getting it fixed. It was not fixed during the stay. Cold showers aren't a great start to my day. Did I mention that the hotel restaurant was also closed because of storm damage? The second night fire alarms at 3:30 AM and 5:30 AM ( false alarms fortunately) made for a sleepless night.
To be fair, management comped 2 nights of my stay, which was a nice gesture, but what they should have done is 1) inform me ahead of time that they had damage, what was missing, and let me decide if I wanted to keep the reservation, 2) proactively address other issues rather than let me discover the problem - no restaurant, no hot water. I know, I could have left and gone to another hotel, but I didn't realize until the 2nd day that the water issue was ongoing and there was no food in the hotel. I had a busy schedule and a short stay and didn't want to hassle with moving.
I won't go back and I think for the price the hotel commands, which was over 300 dollars a night, you can do better at other hotels in the city and have a more comfortable and predictable stay. It's a lousy brand strategy to let guests know ex post facto that they are going to have problems during their stay and to try to slide by.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
AmyReimer, General Manager at International House Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for your very fair comments. Hurricane Isaac thru us for a loop and did affect many of our outlets and services that are always, and should always be standard operating services in a hotel such as International House. We do hope that you will give us another try...we promise not to let you down.
Fitzroy, Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The hotel is extremely modern and stylish - a very 'cool' vibe and maybe just a little too cool to be really comfortable - appeared to be full of 'beautiful people' (except us!!). Our room was very stylish and housekeeping seemed fine. The bed was very comfortable and there are nice Aveda toiletries. However there are very few amenities for what is a considerable cost ($400 on weekends). Certainly doesn't include breakfast, no wine glasses supplied in the room, no movies available, limited number of TV channels etc. The front desk staff were friendly and very helpful and gave us lots of good advice about restaurants. The location is also great - away from the French Quarter but within easy walking distance. Summing it up however, $400 is a lot to pay for style without a lot of substance.

seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in October 2012. The rooms are very small, the location is centralized (near French Quarter and Morial Convention Center) but housekeeping is terrible. Notes: 1/ request a room with double bed when book your reservation. My room with double bed is a lot bigger than my friend's room with a king size bed. Even the bathroom is bigger. 2/ This hotel does not serve food, we asked for some utensils for our takeouts but none were available. 3/ The king bed room does not have blackout shades. 4/ no swimming pools. The front desk is extremely helpful and nice but again housekeeping needs work. The front of this hotel is nice but does not reflect the quality of the rooms. The lobby is extremely dark and extremely scented with candles (??)

My room was cleaned every other day, we had to request bathrobes upon arrival. The robes were taken away on day 3 and never got replaced. The soap/conditioner bottles were provided every other day instead of everyday. Towels were refolded and hung instead of replaced. The counter and desk were dusty. We found a half eaten dinner inside one of the cabinets.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Hotel is centrally located a few blocks from Bourbon street. Rooms are good size, and staff is very helpful and friendly. We stay in a "window less" room. Price/value when compare to other options was the best.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My husband and I came to NOLA for a long weekend. There was a BIG convention in town so hotel rooms were FULL price (almost $400 for weekend nights). For that, there some positives- the hotel is well located, you can walk everywhere from here. The lobby is hip and chic, many scented candles are lit in the evening. There is a bar, morning coffee and ice water in the lobby, but no hope for any other snacks/ amenities. The room was clean (a MUST for me) but sparsely furnished. I suspect this is for the ambiance but, aside from the bed there was a nightstand and nightstand/ desk and a chair/ ottoman- no real place to put your luggage. Strangely, there were no mirrors anywhere other than the bathroom. Again, I assume this is part of the decorating plan but it makes it a bit of a challenge to get ready. There are hair dryers but the one in our room stayed on less than a minute before dying. I like showers to have a bit of water pressure and that was certainly not the case here. WIFI was good and it was included. The staff was not very helpful about dining suggestions, when asked one staff member said, "just take a walk, everything's good". While that may actually be true in New Orleans, we were hoping for a little more direction. My real issue was that our room was not cleaned on our last day--- no new towels, etc. When we called the front desk, the cleaning staff had gone for the day. They did send up some towels and shampoo BUT when I asked for a reduction in our bill, they took it from $399 to $379. The reason I stay in nice hotels is for the service; if there is no service then the hotel should not be charging almost $400 per night.

Room Tip: Garbage is collected around 3:00 a.m. so stay away from the street side.
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Reviews on Yelp: I caution you to read positive reviews with the understanding that the hotel offers a ”FREE 2nd night” when a positive review is posted.

I stayed in room 310 for seven nights the first week of October.

GOOD:
Friendly staff, comfortable bed, plush bedding and towels, four pillows, Aveda products, creative cocktail menu at the bar. Located within walking distance of … everything. Powerful air conditioning. Big king-standard room.

BAD:
Although the room was large enough to hold a yoga class, the furniture was … missing. A 18” x 30” desk functioned as one of the nightstands. For seating there was a desk chair and an occasional chair. The only other piece of furniture was a small armoire that housed 32” TV, refrigerator and 3 tiny drawers that would not close without pinching fingers. When you enter your room there’s nowhere to place your stuff, so everything goes on the floor.

Bathroom sink and vanity: here again the sink was so small that you will flood the counter surface every time you use the sink. And there is minimum surface space to put your toilettes. The bathroom is large so there is plenty of floor area to place your bathroom items. Oh, and there’s no hand-towel rack, so it sits on the counter, too.

WiFi – In room 310 I could only connect to the wifi when I was in the bathroom. Instead I went to the bar and used one of the tables.

Wake-up call: Requested a wake-up call, gave the desk my cell number … never received the call.

OBSERVATIONs:
Only outdoor-seating were the 6 chairs on the sidewalk in front of the building (busy street and smokers)

No phone system, so bring your mobile phone charger. To call the Front Desk, you call the hotel’s main number.

If your room is on Gravier Street, know that the dumpster trash pick-up happens Monday & Tuesday mornings approx. 3:30AM

No restaurant.

No Business Center, just one computer in the lobby.

No movie channel on television.

No gift shop.

If you need coffee-with-a kick or tea in the morning you will need to leave the hotel. When you ask for hot water for tea, the staff goes to the basement and by the time your cup of hot water arrives it is no longer hot.

Other than the mold in the tub grout the room was clean.

Hope this is qualifies as a ‘positive review’ so that I’m eligible for that Free 2nd night offer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to International House Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!