“Fabulous hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of International House Boutique Hotel

You added International House Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
International House Boutique Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   221 Camp Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #55 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Westport, Connecticut
“Fabulous hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Though it was a short trip for me, it was so a pleasure to stay at this hotel! The staff was friendly and accommodating! I had a business meeting there and the staff recommended a local restaurant to do the catering who did a admirable job. The ease of working with both. Loa Bar is a must see! I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Buckhead, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was the first time saying at IH but i have stayed at the sister property and have visited the bar  on a trip moths prior.  The staff is the same at both properties.  When we pulled up Everyone remembered us and made us feel very special.  We had 2 free drinks at the coolest bar I have ever been too Loa.
The room was very clean, the bath room is spacious, and I love the location.  I'm already planing my next trip and it will be hard to decide which property to choose both are sooo very cool.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Biloxi, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This hotel is a two-die far wow facto. The service at this hotel was great and the ambience was great. the hotel was clean and priced right. I would highly recommend this hotel to friends, family and visitors. I would definitely

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

First of all, the location is great. Pretty close to the French Quarter and all that this means (restaurants, bars, etc.).

The lobby is quite impressive, too. I loved the high ceilings and furniture. We did not get to try the bar (which seemed to have some interesting cocktails), which was a bit of a shame.

The issue for myself and my wife was the customer service. To be frank, it was rather disappointing to say the least. However, based upon how we witnessed other guests being treated, I suppose it had something to do with us.

Both of us are really well traveled (international and domestically) and like to try different hotels. We have stayed in a variety of hotels, but do like to support the smaller independents whenever possible. During our previous trip to N.O., we saw International House and thought that we would give that a try on our next trip.

I wish we had not bothered.

Our biggest problem was that the customer service (when applied to us) was close to a disgrace. We were basically treated like lepers which translated into being ignored, given a small room which felt somewhat separated from the rest of the hotel, and that was around the corner from open construction (which we were not told about). I was on the verge of canceling the reservation and looking for somewhere else. However, we decided that as we were only in town for two days, we would suck it up. The room, thankfully, was clean enough (the furniture was shabby, though), and we are not high-maintenance hotel guests. We were in town primarily to enjoy New Orleans and we made sure the hotel did not affect this.

Personally, I would not stay at International House again. There are too many other choices in New Orleans. However, we did see that other guests were treated quite nicely by the staff so I guess it would work for some. It is in a great location and the rates were reasonable. The rooms (and hotel in general) could do with a slight update, but I can see what other reviewers are talking about when they say that they have a certain charm. If we were treated with a bit more respect, I would have given a higher rating. However, when you are a paying guest, being treated professionally should not ever be an issue. It is particularly galling when it is obvious the lack of quality service was based on racial issues.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not around the corner from open construction. Ask about it at the front desk...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
AmyReimer, General Manager at International House Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
The International House is proud of many firsts. In 1952, it was the first World Trade Center in the World. In 1998, we created the first boutique hotel in New Orleans. It remains the first hotel in New Orleans owned in part by African Americans. Five women are also owners. We hired the then only female General Manager in the entire 38,000 hotel room industry. Every department head is a woman, a few white, others black and some hispanic. We sponsored a local AIDS memorial. We offered to host and pay for an entire prom for Mississippi students who were discriminated against. We seek no credit. It is the simply the code we live by.

For a guest to suggest that they were discriminated against is simply not true. I would like to hear from you if you would like to contact me. areimer@ihhotel.com or 504-553-9550.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

When you walk into the lobby you get a very good impression. It has nice design and is great for lounging. The staff so helpful and friendly, from recommending off the beaten path restaurants to showing me were I should driving to get a little local swamp culture. SUPER SUPER staff Valets to Reception.
This is why they get 4 stars instead of 5 stars. The Rooms. They are too normal and plain. Until I got the room I thought I was in a really cool boutique hotel. When I entered the room it was like entering a comfort inn. The room was very clean and large, but so boring...
Having said that; I would still go back and stay for the great staff alone.
Oh... Keep the bar open later (if the law allows).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Framingham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

This was our second time back to International House and it was just as good as the first time. The location is great, staff is friendly, beds are comfy (very important after a day of lots of walking) and the lobby bar was a cool place to have a pre-dinner drink. Can't wait to come back next year!!

• Stayed September 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Overal experience at the international house was spectacular!! The staff was great, making the stay that much better! Guys, if you are looking for a romantic place to take your lady, this place is second to none. The sexy atmosphere in the rooms, spa, lobby, and bar area will make any woman happy! If your looking to impress, this is definitely the place to stay!

• Stayed September 2012

Been to International House Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!