“Louisiana Charm” 5 of 5 stars
Review of International House Boutique Hotel

Save Saved
You added International House Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
International House Boutique Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   221 Camp Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #47 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Houston, Texas
“Louisiana Charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

My husband reserved a suite for a surprise weekend getaway and I could not have been more impressed. Having lived a short drive from New Orleans most of my life, I have stayed in plenty of hotels and this was by far my favorite. It has a charm you only find in boutique hotels, the attention to detail and unique aura of feeling that it is a well-kept secret. The lobby and bar decor was very chic and candle lit. I was impressed that the bar has taken on the newest trend of mixing drinks like you are in an old apothecary. And the hotel is situated in a great location only a short walk from the Quarter.
We stayed in a large corner suite with a chandelier, overstuffed chairs, and huge windows overlooking 2 directions. The Aveda bath products were a nice touch as well. While we were out my husband arranged several personal requests with the staff that were all attended to before our return to our suite. We will definitely be staying there again.

741 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

This was our third stay at International House. Hip, edgy, but warm and friendly--how do they do that? We're not especially hip, but we feel as though we fit right in, dressing nicely (casual but nice, not schlumpy and sloppy which we hate to see in big city hotels. You want to feel as though you're presentable and civilized at International House). Extraordinarily helpful staff (they bought and brought us a Sunday New York Times to our door!). Location couldn't be better---out of the silliness of the Quarter (but just 2 blocks from Canal), and right in the heart of the increasing lively buzz of the CBD---within walking distance of myriad great restaurants and street scenes. Walk to the Ogden Museum of Southern Art (a must-see), to the farmer's market, to the bus and streetcar lines (which are very easy to use in NOLA--be sure to buy a day or 3- or 6-day pass!). Our rooms have always had exquisitely-appointed bathrooms--roomy and lush. We're now spoiled and doubt that we'll stay anywhere else when in the Big Easy. Coming back from the heat of the city, International House feels like a cool, welcoming and comfortable oasis. The bar rocks, in our book: Friendly and attentive bartenders making all manner of traditional to edgy cocktails. Hip, buzz feel emanates from the lobby into the bar.

Room Tip: Ask for the "Rock Star" rooms...they are interior rooms (no windows, but don't freak o...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
AmyReimer, General Manager at International House Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
We are thrilled that you loved the Vibe of IH....we cater to guests just like you and are looking forward to your return visit.!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

This hotel was recommended to me by a business associate. It is a cool boutique hotel with the decor to match its claim. The rooms are all a tad small (as boutique hotels mostly are, in my experience). The in house restaurant has an excellent b'fast.

The only drawback for it is their cancellation policy. Be sure that you are going to stay before securing the room.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I went to New Orleans on business to pick up a company car to take back Nashville a few months back. My Girlfriend and I thought it would be neat to spend the weekend in the city since we have never been. We decided to stay at the International House because of the great location from the French Quarter and we got a great deal online for 2 nights and knew we would spend minimal time at the hotel. We stayed in one of their "Rock Star Rooms” which was not a bad room as far as size and comfort. Some people on other reviews complained about no windows which this did not bother us at all. The hotel claimed they were Rock Star rooms due to stars loving them because you can sleep with no noise from outside, which is NOT true we could hear everything in the halls it was very loud! Room had a nice T.V and bed was comfortable, but towels had stains on them which we were not fans of. Staff was okay, but not good kind of in their own world. When I stay at a hotel I like to see smiles from staff which I didn’t see. Bar was average at best, drink were not great under poured for price and if it was my hotel I would switch the lighting in bar which was hands down too bright and they had a cool feel in the lobby but was dark. I feel like it should be opposite lobby shall have the light and bar area should be dim like 98% of most hotels.
THE WORST PART of our stay was we had Valet parked my new company car for $38 per night on Friday and when it was returned on Sunday at our check out it had been BASHED. While it was in their hands my rear end was demolished of course I was not very happy about this. The valet manager Jared Farrell told me not to worry about anything and he would take care of it all and have my car fixed right away and then apologized. I then went up to the hotel front desk and said “I would not be paying for valet since my car was returned in such way”, she somewhat rolled her eyes and gave me my money back. No apology not a " hey please come back we are so sorry about what happened to your property we would love to comp a room for one night in the future”, Nothing! Jared Farrell seemed like he was new at the valet gig which was uncomforting since he was the manager what manager doesn’t have a business card? Of course Jared did nothing after the fact my company tried to contact him multiple times no calls back, nothing back from their insurance. My company then had to get our own insurance company involved to take care of the damage. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL!! All and all that ruined my trip and I had to drive a wrecked car back home. I give this hotel a 4 at best! We will definitely stay elsewhere next visit to New Orleans. Also just a heads up River’s Edge Restaurant in New Orleans is the worst restaurant I have ever been too. Worst excuse for food and service, I feel like I got robbed after paying form food which we didn’t eat! Don’t Do It!

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed for 4 nights here and when we booked, we found a special deal on their website. There was a discount for booking 14 days or more in advance. We booked it with only 13 and we still got the deal. They supposedly have "rockstar" rooms which are more central in the hotel and have no buildings. We chose to have a view and our room was overlooking Camp Street. The only thing was that at night you could hear when cars were bumping music and the resonant sounds of small bands gathering off of Canal.
When you walk in, it's very rich and artsy; candles, giant open sofas, eclectic art, magazine and rock n' roll paraphernalia. Rooms were clean, housekeeping was friendly, concierge helped print out boarding passes, free internet wifi or access to a computer in the lobby; the best was that we could crank up the AC to help us cool down in the August humidity and they had lemon/lime ice water in the lobby which we would fill up on before heading out on the town. Location was good; almost everywhere we went was within 1.5 miles or fewer, including some amazing restaurants and places: Mother's, Luke, Emeril's, Cafe du Monde, Gumbo Shop, Johnny's PoBoys, Camellia Grill, ACME Oysters, D.B.A., Jackson Square, Louisiana State Museum, Bourbon Street & the French Quarter, Faulkner House, just to mention a few.

Room Tip: If you want an "enclosed" feel choose what they call the "rockstar" rooms.
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Hotel is 2 short blocks from French quarter, can get everywhere from here either walking or by cab. Staff papmers you in the rain - takes care of everything. Hotel lobby is impressive - great intimate lounge, gorgeous art. Room was beautiful, well appointed, lovely linens - amazing bathroom size. We loved the energy of this place

Room Tip: Check out reserving online EARLY - great rates.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

My husband and I arrived on a Saturday afternoon. We couldn't check in right away but the gentleman at reception was very friendly and helpful in trying to find an available upgraded roomtype. He was able to get us into a beautiful corner room with a big soaking tub. The furnishings were eclectic and well designed and the room had tall ceilings and floor to ceiling window on two walls. Like most boutique hotels in older buildings, there is not much soundproofing so lots of street noise during the day and early morning.
This hotel has an ideal location for walking; only a few blocks in any direction to French Quarter, casino or restaurants in the Warehouse District.
The only complaint I had was the the attached bar didn't open until 4pm and the Rambla Restaurant has odd hours as well. Breakfast hours ended very early. Not very convenient for hotel patrons. Overall a good stay and would return if the price was right.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to International House Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!