“Unexpectly Nice Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #82 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Dinuba, California
“Unexpectly Nice Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

I was very pleasantly surprised. This Hotel was kind of run down from the outside. The neighborhood is a little sketchy but it is close to some very nice areas. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I actually came in on a Red Eye flight and I was not able to check in for a while. This was not their fault. I feel they worked with me. I doubt a larger hotel would of cared very much. I think the staff was outstanding. The room was very nice, clean and comfortable. I was ver pleased!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
BPM-Hotels, Manager at New Orleans Courtyard Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thanks Eric, It was great to have you as a guest. We hope we will see you again next time you are in New Orleans.
Patrick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I booked the French Quarter Suites. Upon arriving, it looked a little run down (from the outside)and I began to question my selection. We went in to register and the gentleman said "Oh you are in the New Orleans Courtyard". i was a little upset since I don't like to be shuffled around. The place was actually next door. It was very charming. We couldn't ask for a more friendly staff. Everyone from housekeeping to the desk were more than helpful.

We arrived very early but only had to wait a short time for our room. They have a little eating area, where they have ice water and coffee 24x7. In the morning they have fruit, cheese/coldcuts, waffles and all types of bread,bagels and biscuits. The also have a computer/printer should you need to use it. WiFi is free throughout the property. There is also two pools. We only went to the one by our room which was apparently the larger. Towels and and Ice machine is near.

Our room was 213 facing the courtyard. A little old, but clean and charming. Everything worked and the beds were comfortable. It was very quiet at night, so noise was not an issue. We were approximately 3 blocks from Bourbon St. And a couple blocks from the Louie Armstrong park. We were pleasantly surprised when we found out that a free Zydeco festival happened to be the weekend we were there.

For the price we paid for this room and getting the service and personable service, I would definitely recommend this place and will return again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Thanks for staying with us. We really appreciated having you as our guests! Hope to see you again soon! Patrick
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I think 3.5 stars is about right for this place.

As my title suggests, there is nothing wrong with this place. Location is on the northeast edge to the French Quarter; while it may be technically in the Quarter, it is directly on a big, busy street and not in the quaint, European-looking area filled with coffee shops, local bars etc. N. Rampart is a major road that people drive fast on. That being said, it is right down the street from Louis Armstrong Park, which is quite lovely to walk around.

Seeing that the owner/operators seem to read TripAdvisor reviews, I'll just offer a few suggestions to improve the experience of your guests/the quality of your hotel, without drastically raising expenses:

--IMPROVE BREAKFAST. The hotel offers a basic breakfast daily (pastries taken out of large boxes, make-your-own belgian waffles, quarters of oranges, melon slices, and muffins, etc), as part of the room rate. This is served on styrofoam plates, with plastic silverware, presumably to keep costs low and because they dont have some place to wash dishes. I get this idea, and it's all well and good. But there are little tweaks that can be done to improve it.
SUGGESTIONS: How about nicer-looking hard plastic plates, instead of the styrofoam ones? How about bananas, in addition to the orange slices and melons? How about mini-boxes of cereal, as another more substantive option? And perhaps most of all -- how about some decent orange juice, instead of whatever watered down Sunny Delight-esque juice drink you're serving? Or some good coffee?

--THINK ABOUT THE POOL. The pool is great. I love the mini-lions that adorn the side of it, and the water that flows out of them throughout the day. The chairs are wonderful for lounging. But as you can see from the other reviews, the bachelor parties and kids do congregate there at night. How about adding a bolt lock, to keep the pool gate shut at 11? Or have front desk staff do more to monitor late night visitors? I didnt go to bed at 9 p.m. like the last reviewer...but even going to bed at 1 am my first night...I was still woken up by people partying outside at 430 AM. I dont believe the hotel is entirely at fault for this; but I do believe you can enact measures that would lessen how often this happens.

--END SMOKING. It's 2014 guys. I know you're in the South, but time to take away the cigarette ashtrays, and make the hotel completely non-smoking.

--CHECK YOUR PLUMBING. I turned on the lights in the bathroom. I turned on the shower. Both of them creaked, a lot, when I first came into the room. This is not a huge deal, it's just kind of low-class, and not the first thing you want to hear when you come into the room.

Again, nice place. Appreciate the low fares in a location right adjacent to the Quarter. Clean. Helpful staff. Pool. Just nothing all that great about this hotel, that would bump it up to 4 or 5 stars.

I hope you'll consider these suggestions; I really did enjoy my stay, and also think that there are improvements that could be made while keeping expenses low enough that your price point can remain extremely competitive.

Room Tip: Hope folks wear ear plugs at night (ask the front desk), to help ensure a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
BPM-Hotels, Manager at New Orleans Courtyard Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thanks for your comments and you are correct I do read them and respond. More importantly, I try to understand what my guests and future guests are needing. While we cannot address every issue you highlighted, I can tell you we have upgraded coffee cups and are plate shopping based on your thoughts. Thanks again as your review has helped us be better. I hope to see you again soon. Patrick
Pontoon Beach, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on 5/15 - 5/17. We were scheduled to stay until the 18th. But we could not take the noise of a bachelor party on the evening of the 17th. When we arrived on the 15th in the early evening this same group of gentlemen were having a loud party in the courtyard by the pool. Our door was located right next to the party. We spoke with the front desk and were informed that the group had a right to use the pool until 11 pm. The front desk person did ask the group to turn off the radio and try to hold it down. They did not comply. We should have checked out at that time. We did not. This was a mistake. We arrived back at the hotel around 9 pm on the evening of the 17th. We were greeted with a party of approximately 30 people in the courtyard, the bachelor party. The noise level was deafening. We complained again to the front desk and again were informed that there was nothing they could do about it. This was not an acceptable answer. We were leaving early in the morning on the 18th and needed to get some rest. We decided to check out after having been up all day. I took the luggage out to the car. This was an ordeal because the way was blocked by the party. I had to go around to the other way with all the luggage. My wife went to the front desk and informed the desk clerk we were leaving. We asked not to be charged for the last night and were informed that he could not authorize this. We asked that he call someone who could authorize this. He did and left a voice message. He informed us that the manager would call the next day. During this exchange someone else came up and authorized the transaction. He stated "he would take responsibility for it". I went out front to finish loading the car. While out there I saw the maintenance person for the facility. A young lady walked out with a suitcase. The maintenance person asked if she had been paid. She informed him that she had not. She claimed no one could find the person in the "blue shirt". Not only was it a bachelor party it was a bachelor party with entertainment. On the surface it appears that an employee of the hotel set up the entertainment.
In addition the rooms while quaint. They leave a lot to be desired. In the room we had the floors are brick with no floor covering. The ceiling had a hole in it over the bed were the sprinkler head came out of. The television did not receive channels clearly. The pool was not well maintained.
When we booked the room we asked if the hotel had parking and were informed that they did. What we were not told is that the charge for parking in the lot is $25.00 per night.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
BPM-Hotels, Manager at New Orleans Courtyard Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
I am really sorry you had a bad experience at our hotel. It is quite a challenge to keep things quiet in New Orleans at 9:00 pm on a Saturday night. We tried our best to find balance between the needs of guests who are here to have fun and those that are here to sleep at 9 pm. When we realized we could not accommodate your needs, my night manager offered to release you from the expense of the room for that evening. Apparently our efforts still fell short. Lastly, I can assure you the hotel played no part in providing any type of "entertainment" and I regret you were left with that impression.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

We stayed at the hotel in room #211 for the second weekend of JazzFest this year, and had a very nice time. The room was out towards the back of the property and fairly quiet (sirens at night can't be helped, but tuned out with earplugs, just like any other big city). Overall, the hotel was very clean, and staff were friendly and helpful. Beautiful courtyard and swimming pool. The continental breakfast in the morning was great, cereal, waffles, cold cuts, cheese and fresh fruit as well as toast and muffins, although the freshly sliced tomatoes were my favorite.
Our favorite part was the complimentary crawfish boil on Saturday evening after JazzFest, though. It was such a wonderful event to have, delicious and so much fun! We'll definitely be coming back next year for JazzFest and we will stay at this hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
BPM-Hotels, Manager at New Orleans Courtyard Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Thanks for your review. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Patrick
Robinson, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

The Courtyard Hotel was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. It was conveniently located 4 blocks from the French Quarter..and had a very private and quiet court yard to sit and visit with my fellow travelers after a long day of touring New Orleans. It was clean, and the staff was most hospitable. The owner and the manager made their presence known every day of our 5 day stay, and wanted to make sure it was everything we needed and expected from them. The Continental Breakfast was fresh and hot every morning for 4 hours. I would revisit this hotel every time without reserve, and I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thanks we really appreciated having you as a guest. Hope to see you back soon!
Cologne, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

The courtyard has really potential as the general ambiente is really nice and my room was on the first look really lovely with its rough stone floor and the old fashioned bed. Looking at the details on the other hand the bathroom, especially the bathtub was in no good condition and beside of that it was not well cleaned at my arrival. But by far the worst was that after my first night I got very annoying and still itching bites or whatever at my ankles. The next night I removed everything beside the obviously fresh duvet cover and put a towel over it...That stopped the attacks....I don't really wanna know what it was but it lived and was hungry....this is a no go for a hotel and the room rates they take....I could understand this for a cheap drive by motel...also I couldn't still tolerate

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
BPM-Hotels, Manager at New Orleans Courtyard Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
I am sorry to read this. We do have our rooms inspected monthly for bed bugs by a team of beagles. This month's K-9 inspection included your room and came up negative. We have also done a visual inspection of this room and see no evidence of bugs. I am also sorry you felt your $79 rate was too high. I wish we could have had a chance to speak about and resolve these issues while you were a guest at our hotel.

Been to New Orleans Courtyard Hotel? Share your experiences!