“Great place to stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Murcia, Spain
“Great place to stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

The location of this hotel is excellent, only 5 minutes walking distance to the French Quarter. The rooms were nice and clean, staff was friendly, breakfast was nothing special but ok for the price. When we decided to stay another night, the staff was really helpful and even moved the person who had already booked our room.
Yes, you will have to pay for parking. Or you could just make a right right after the hotel and find a spot in the neighborhood there for free. We arrived on a Thursday and had no problems finding a spot across from our hotel. Even on Saturday, we still managed to find parking near by.
My only negative comment: we were initially charged for the parking even though I had said we'd look somewhere else. Apart from that I can only recommend this hotel!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Lufkin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My boyfriend surprised me as an early Christmas gift by taking me to New Orleans, a 6 drive from where we live in Texas. We were there for the Aerosmith concert that just took place Thursday, December 6, 2012. He did some research and booked us a room at this hotel--I think it was about $100 for the one night stay. Not too bad, or so I thought, considering it was supposedly close to the French Quarter.

While it was relatively close to the French Quarter, the actual area the hotel is in didn't make me feel safe. We were hoping we'd be able to walk over to Bourbon Street, but we opted to drive (which was a nightmare). When we checked in, an older (not old, just older compared to the other workers) woman checked us in and she was actually friendly and I had hopes for this hotel. We had room #106 originally, which is outside right next to their pool. The room was cute--not what I expected, but for one night, it was a neat experience. The walls and floor were stone. It was extremely cold when we walked in though, and they had a note on the air conditioning that if I changed the temperature, it would freeze up and the AC wouldn't work. Didn't exactly seem reliable, and it bothered me because I'm pretty temperature sensitive. We stayed in the room for probably thirty minutes before leaving to go to dinner and our concert.

When we arrived back at the hotel, it was around midnight and all my boyfriend and I wanted to do was take a shower and get in bed. We ran the water for the bath, but the cold water didn't work at all. I tried and tried to get it to work, but no matter which way you turned the handle, the water came out scalding hot. I obviously couldn't take a shower in this, so we went to the desk to ask if we could switch rooms because our water wasn't working properly. By this time, the older woman wasn't at the front desk anymore, and it was a bigger guy, probably in his early 20s like my boyfriend and I. He was not friendly or accommodating from the start. When we walked into the hotel from our night out, he didn't even greet us, much less look at us. I am a fairly timid person, especially when it comes to "complaining", so I had my boyfriend go talk to this guy about the shower issue. He insisted to come check out the issue first, which made me feel like he just thought we were being stupid and didn't know how to use the shower. After that, he told my boyfriend we could take a shower in a room upstairs, inside the hotel, across the way from our original room. However, he didn't want to switch us rooms--he just wanted us to take showers at 1:00 AM, get dressed, walk back to our room through the outside, with our hair wet, get undressed AGAIN, and then go to bed. No one wants to go through that much trouble, and all we wanted to do was go to sleep. So, he was going to let us stay in that room for the night. It was right next to the front desk and door, and I didn't feel comfortable (being with my boyfriend, I didn't want to feel like I could not...enjoy myself) so we asked very nicely if we could maybe get a room a little further away.

At this point, I started to feel that I was being a pain, but the man working the front desk was making me feel guilty by the way he was acting. It was as if we were making his job so difficult. I'm sorry, but if I am paying $100 for one night to stay here, I feel that I should be completely happy with where I am staying. The person working the front desk that is getting PAID to be there should be willing to be helpful and accommodating, not make the customers feel like they don't belong. Anyway, we were given another room, upstairs and down the hall a little bit. A little bit better of a location, and the bed was nicer in this room. I got undressed again, ready to finally take a shower. Guess what? Now, all the water was cold! That's right, no hot water in this room. Also, even if I wanted to take a freezing cold shower, I would have had to do it in the dark thanks to the stupid layout of that bathroom. The shower was in the corner, completely opposite the bathroom from the only light, above the sink. It was pitch dark inside the shower. Seems safe. When we were leaving our room, our hands were both full, carrying our stuff, and we needed to shut the door behind us. There was a guy walking up and down the hall right outside our room, so my boyfriend asked if he worked there. He said no, but he could shut our door for us. We let him, but he seemed quite creepy, looked into our room, and then shut the door slowly. Then he told us that he was actually a ghost of the hotel. :| We went down the stairs, and my boyfriend ended up seeing his junk because, oh yeah, I forgot to mention: the guy was wearing a mini skirt with nothing underneath. I'm all for freedom to do whatever, equality, gay rights, etc, etc. But I was still creeped out and got a bad vibe from this particular guy. When we explained this as well to the guy at the front desk and just simply inquired about him, we were told rudely that he was heading to his room. He didn't--he kept pacing up and down the stairs and in the hallway right outside our room for a portion of the night.

We asked to switch one more time, because well, my water should work properly. You're making enough money, get your stuff fixed. You've already admitted to me that the first room's issue (all hot water) was weird because USUALLY it's all cold water! So you have people complain on what seems like a regular basis and you can't get it fixed. Alright.

Last room--it's 1:30 in the morning and at this point, I'm really frustrated. Since the water finally at least got to the right temperature, we settled with this room. And I mean settled. When we got in the shower, there was hair all over the wall. I guess no one had cleaned the shower. Gross. The comforter had a weird stain on it as well, and I didn't even notice until we were checking out the next morning.

When we checked out, the lady at the front desk was nice, but after explaining all our issues, she couldn't help us. Completely understandable that she might not have the ability to do anything, but she didn't take down a complaint or our number/name. She just told us to call the hotel in a few hours when the manager should be back. We had to drive 6 hours back home at that point, and weren't able to stay in town--we were hoping to speak to the manager face to face. I am not pleased that we paid $100 for this stay. It was miserable. We stayed at a Motel 6 in Galveston for $39/night and it was incredible compared to this. At least the Motel 6 was clean and the people were friendly. Pretty sure the room was even the same size and definitely had better accommodations.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. Not only our their rooms fairly dirty, some of the windows are water damaged and haven't been repaired, their water is clearly not reliable, and we didn't exactly have the best customer service, either. If we are paying to stay at your hotel, please make it worth my money.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Delden, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

It’s hard to find a room on a friday afternoon near the French Quarter... So we took the one room that was available. Good location, friendly staff and relaxed atmosphere. Street side, small and basic room was a bit noisy and breakfast needs an egg. But then, you can have breakfast in the quarter and spend your time there in stead of the hotel. Car park is expensive.

Room Tip: Street side rooms are quite noisy
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night. People right above us would not stop making noise. It was terrible. Complained to front desk and basically nothing was done. that same night about eight gathered in the pool area (very small) and were talking really loud. Found out a lots of people are displaced from Katrina. We paid a total of $243.65. Believe me and take my word.....STAY AWAY!!!

• Stayed October 2012
BPM-Hotels, Manager at New Orleans Courtyard Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
I am very sorry you had a bad experience at our hotel. I happen to remember you being here. Yes you are correct that we offered temporary housing to families who lost everything they owned in Hurricane Isaac (not Katrina). I remember you were upset that there was a noise problem during the day. I believe we allowed you to check in at 8:00am with no early check in fee. Once you complained we contacted guest and asked them to be quiet so you could sleep during the day. Then when you complained about noise at night, we asked guests enjoying our poolside courtyard, to go to their rooms and by 11:00 the courtyard was emptied. In addition to our daily efforts, we have signs posted asking people to be quiet during the hours of 11pm to 7am throughtout our property. Nevertheless,it is a very hard task to keep people quiet in our fun city. I regret you had a bad experience, but we tried our best to accomodate you. Patrick Berthelot, General Manager
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I'm originally from michigan but have lived in Lafayette La for about five years. Lafayette is about two hours from new orleans.. great city by the way..Look it up if you are traveling.
We regularly take trips into new orleans for concerts and my boyfriend for batcherlor parties..this year anyway.. we have been looking for that go to motel..

First I would like to respond to the reviews complaining about how expensive parking is.... HELLO!! its new orleans.. If you are ever planing a trip to the french quarter wether you stay in a hotel there or not you will be paying 25.00 or more even for 4 hours... A hotel that is willing to let you keep your car there and walk is accually saving you money..there is no free parking in the french quarter.. best thing to do is ride bikes..

Second.. if you want the latest in all hotel amenities.. curved shower bars.. 500 count sheets.. stick with a brand name hotel.. but if you want to stay in a historical building expect historical qualities such as spueeky pluming.. its part of the charm..

Third.. I havn't stayed at this hotel yet. But I called and made reservations tonight.. I had called several different hotels and this was impressed by the front desk girl..She was friendly and prfessional and sold me the room.. the rest just andswered my questions and didn't even try to keep my reservation. Now I am excited to try this hotel.

Room Tip: don't get mad if you have to pay for parking.. you will all over the french wuarter
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Niceville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

4 of us ladies went to New Orleans for the weekend, we booked this hotel on-line through the French Quarter Motel Suites. I will start with good points. The Hotel is easy to find, great location to quarter, taxis readily available down N. Rampart, quick walk to Louis Armstrong Park and the St. Louis Cemetary #1. The hotel itself is very nostalgic and vintage. It has two pools, and secure parking. The rooms make you feel like you've stepped back in town living in a southern style mansion for a night or two. The staff was VERY friendly and informative. Now, the negative, the room is overpriced for the quality and not mention the parking is SEVERLY overpriced. I think for the price we paid for the room, parking should have been included for at least one vehicle, we had two and paid $55.00 for each car for two nights, adding another $110 to our lodging. The continental breafast was very poor and sad, the coffee was horrible ! Our room was on the ground level and street side, it was very noisey all night both nights with traffic. If i were to stay there I would request a room away from the street side. Our linens had mildew on them. (where they had stayed in washer too long). We didnt have enough towels, there isn't much bathroom (counter) space. We never even turned on the TV. The shower water, would go from hot to cold the entire time you were showering. Great Water Pressure though.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We are literally driving as i type this to head home to Alabama. We usually stay at the Chateau Bourbon (gorgeous!) But planned a New Orleans trip on a whim and decided to be a bit more budget concious this time. Read some reviews and was little nervous about what we would get. We absolutely loved this sweet little hotel! We were in rooms 207 and 208 that overlooked the pool. We opened our doors and were a little surprised at how small the rools were but quickly realized that they would end up being exactly and all we needed. Definitely ask for extra pillows, though. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. Part of the charm came from sitting on the terrace and meeting your neighbors. The shower water will literally scald and give you burn blisters if you dont adjust the temp before you hop in. The pool was a nice view but it is my only complaint is the nasty film on the top of the water. There was no way we were getting in that! You really need to visit the neighborhood bar called Cosimos. The had amazing salsa with fabulous phylo like chips! There was a dog in there that would jump up on a barstool and sit at the bar like she was going to order a beer. Loved it! Our walk to the french quarter area tooks us about 5 minutes to walk. We felt completely safe walking at night.

I have never written a review before but i felt like i owed it this little gem.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to New Orleans Courtyard Hotel? Share your experiences!