“Beautiful Hotel, Poor Housekeeping” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt French Quarter

Save Saved
You added Hyatt French Quarter to your Saves list
Hyatt French Quarter
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   800 Iberville Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Formerly Chateau Bourbon - A Wyndham Historic Hotel) (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
French Quarter Theater
Ranked #25 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Los Angeles
“Beautiful Hotel, Poor Housekeeping”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

All services were excellent, with the exception of housekeeping. I can't say they didn't always do a good job because one day they never even came to do anything. We had been out at an event and returned around 10PM to discover the room had been untouched, even though we had been gone since early that morning. I called the front desk and was told housekeeping was gone for the day but they could send up some clean towels. The front desk clerk did apologize for the inconvenience. The following morning, housekeeping staff was knocking on the door at 8AM wanting in to clean the room which I found odd since it was our check out date.
Our room faced Canal Street and there was constant noise from people, traffic, and sirens. Not an issue if you are used to living in a large city. The view was very nice.
After reading several other reviews, it seems this must be the norm for this particular hotel. Valet parking and bell service staff were great - very prompt and polite. It may sound petty, but returning to a room in need of attention at the end of a very long day leaves a bad impression.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for an interior room. Otherwise you will face out to Canal Street or Bourbon...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

580 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Jacksonville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We checked in this past weekend and had a most enjoyable stay.The room was beautiful the bed very comfortable and the staff helpful,professional and very friendly. The location is perfect for a stay in New Orleans.
The only drawback was the water pressure in the bathroom. The fixtures and fittings in the bathroom was up to the par of the hotel but the size of the bathroom was minuscule and water pressure was woefully lacking.
I say this with regret because the staff and hotel met our every expectation with the exception of the water pressure

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I arrived in N.O. after 18 hrs. of airplanes, layovers and delays to the Hyatt French Quarter; tired to the bone and hungry. Went out to eat and came back, washed my face, brushed my teeth and went to bed. The next AM, getting ready to attend my conference, I showered and was about to brush my teeth and looked down to see little black specks in my sink....upon closer inspection saw they were whiskers, and I called the front desk and they asked me if I thought someone had been in my room, "no, not even housekeeping, for quite a while", was my thought. The next day I left at 8 AM for my conference and housekeeping was outside my door, I greeted them and said I was gone for the rest of the day, at 5:45PM my room was still not clean. A MardiGras party was part of my conference and I had a feather boa which lost a couple feathers on the floor, and I had dropped an almond on the floor near my bed and 3 days later they were still there...apparently vacuuming is not part of their routine either. Have never stayed in such a pricey hotel with such lax housekeeping services, hope to never again!! Then with the tail end effects of Sandy rousing up winds in N.O., the plexiglass installed storm windows rattled all the time and sounded like a continual hailstorm on the windows. Sleeping was difficult even with ear plugs. The staff was pleasant and otherwise the accommodation was okay.

Room Tip: Not on the side where the winds blow, and where the housekeeping staff actually cleans!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Montgomery, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

My wife and I stayed here one night en route back to Texas from a vacation in South Carolina and Mississippi. After living in New Orleans twice in my 34-year career before retiring 10 years ago, we wanted to finally eat dinner at Galatoires and again experience the Quarter. We had eaten an MANY great places in New Orleans, but just never Galatoires. It was just around the corner from our hotel! We arrived a little harried due to major construction on Canal Street, but found the Valet Parking attendants & doorman friendly & helpful. Parking was expensive ($34 + tax!), but was worth it. The lobby was modern but luxurious. When we walked into our room it was Wow! The furnishings were excellent and the top-floor king suite was huge! We had a wonderful meal at Galatoires and then room service for breakfast the next day. They even phoned about 5-minutes before delivering to be sure we were ready. Our room was relatively quiet (over the entrance and away from the elevators) from hotel noise, but we did have some street noise. This is New Orleans! A great stay - clean, modern, very spacious, and a great location. We'd certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: All rooms will have some street noise, but the higher the better, plus the Bourbon Street side will...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tacoma, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We had a standard room that was very nice and very modern. Plenty of room in the living area however the bathroom was cramped. Nice flatscreen tv and the bedside tables had power outlets built into the sides of them which was nice for charging phones and ipads. Wifi was not free which was a bit of a bummer. The sounds of Bourbon St. were feint on a couple of nights but never affected our sleep. Not sure the same could be said if you got one of the balcony room right on Bourbon. Rooms were clean as was the hotel as a whole. The location couldn't be better if you want to light it up on Bourbon Street and stumble home at the end of the night! The nightly rate was steep and I'm not sure if I'd have stayed here if it weren't for my wife attending a conference close by. If the rates are in your budget, you can feel comfortable staying here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Solihull. UK.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed here as part of an escorted tour. A four star hotel that is very expensive. Wifi is charged in all areas and we never ate here. We went to Ihop which is about three doors up on Canal street.Don't miss a trip on the paddlesteamer Natchez (day or night). Bourbon street is right next to this hotel and operates 24 hours a day so some of the rooms can be noisy. I think we were lucky. Overall the stay was fine but could have been expensive.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from Bourbon street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Adirondacks, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

When I arrived my room was not yet ready...I was anxious to get settled since I would only be in town for one night and wanted to start exploring ASAP...they switched me to a half-suite that they had available and gave me a $50 credit which I used toward dinner. The room was very comfortable and the location worked just fine for me for hoofing it all around the French Qtr.
Not used to travelling alone, I felt quite safe staying here. Also, the Red Fish Grill is adjacent to the hotel and with a great dinner selection & bar...it was most convenient. The next day, I had a driver picking me up so I extended my check-out time to work closer to that appointment. The staff was most accommodating. Though too short, I had a wonderful visit here, and would definitely check-in again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hyatt French Quarter? Share your experiences!