“Perfect location if you're partying on Bourbon!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt French Quarter

You added Hyatt French Quarter to your Saves list
Hyatt French Quarter
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   800 Iberville Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Formerly Chateau Bourbon - A Wyndham Historic Hotel) (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
French Quarter Theater
Ranked #22 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Tacoma, WA
“Perfect location if you're partying on Bourbon!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We had a standard room that was very nice and very modern. Plenty of room in the living area however the bathroom was cramped. Nice flatscreen tv and the bedside tables had power outlets built into the sides of them which was nice for charging phones and ipads. Wifi was not free which was a bit of a bummer. The sounds of Bourbon St. were feint on a couple of nights but never affected our sleep. Not sure the same could be said if you got one of the balcony room right on Bourbon. Rooms were clean as was the hotel as a whole. The location couldn't be better if you want to light it up on Bourbon Street and stumble home at the end of the night! The nightly rate was steep and I'm not sure if I'd have stayed here if it weren't for my wife attending a conference close by. If the rates are in your budget, you can feel comfortable staying here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Solihull. UK.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed here as part of an escorted tour. A four star hotel that is very expensive. Wifi is charged in all areas and we never ate here. We went to Ihop which is about three doors up on Canal street.Don't miss a trip on the paddlesteamer Natchez (day or night). Bourbon street is right next to this hotel and operates 24 hours a day so some of the rooms can be noisy. I think we were lucky. Overall the stay was fine but could have been expensive.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from Bourbon street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Adirondacks, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

When I arrived my room was not yet ready...I was anxious to get settled since I would only be in town for one night and wanted to start exploring ASAP...they switched me to a half-suite that they had available and gave me a $50 credit which I used toward dinner. The room was very comfortable and the location worked just fine for me for hoofing it all around the French Qtr.
Not used to travelling alone, I felt quite safe staying here. Also, the Red Fish Grill is adjacent to the hotel and with a great dinner selection & bar...it was most convenient. The next day, I had a driver picking me up so I extended my check-out time to work closer to that appointment. The staff was most accommodating. Though too short, I had a wonderful visit here, and would definitely check-in again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Raleigh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Though the location is prime, just off Bourbon Street at the edge of the French Quarter, and the property and rooms well appointed, I would not recommend this hotel. For the price, I expect meticulous service and attention to detail. My room was missing shampoo, paper and wrappers on the floor in places a vacuum could easily reach, and ants. These issues were resolved after complaint, but I would expect not to have any issues in a luxury hotel. Additionally, it was very noisy at night both from hallway noise and outside (walls seemed thin, not soundproof) and there was so little water coming from the shower I felt almost like I had to run around to get wet! To top it off, during our stay a scam artist identifying as an employee with an employee number made calls internally in the wee hours, asking half-asleep patrins for a credit card to confirm identies because there had been a "security breach on the property." when reported, employees said there was nothing they could do and did not apologize. I will not return to this hotel, and recommend you choose another.

Hadley, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The inside of the hotel is decent enough. The bar is pretty good. The rooms were very clean.

For breakfast, don't torture yourself with the hotel breakfast - it's way overpriced and the menu selection is incredibly poor. Take a 5 minute walk up toward Canal Street and to go the IHOP right there on the right. Decent food, good choices, good coffee and all at a VERY reasonable price.

The problem with this hotel is the location.

Now, I will say that I was on the second floor on the side of the hotel that led to Bourbon Street - so it might just be WHERE I was in the hotel (keep that in mind).

The thumping of speakers in the cars going by all night actually rattled the lights and television my room. The constant yelling and screaming of drunk partiers (doesn't matter what night of the week) went on until the wee-hours of the morning. Then the cleaning trucks would come by.

On average I got 2 to 3 hours of restful sleep a night while I was there.

Bourbon Street is, well, Bourbon Street. I suppose it's one of those things you go to then cross off your bucket list. I mean really, how many times do you need to smell urine and vomit, see drunks arguing, police hauling away various individuals and have music blasted so loud you can't even hear yourself think?

My advise: Choose a hotel farther away from Bourbon Street so you can get some rest. If you want to go to Bourbon Street, then go - but be able to leave it, and the noise and the smells, behind.

Room Tip: Demand a room as far away from Bourbon Street as possible and as high up in the hotel as you can get...
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed at Hyatt last Oct 9 and 10th 2012, I request a inside courtyard room they ignored that request saying the Bourbon Street with Balcony is an up-grade. Unlike other reviews road work was not an issue, instead the room (*286 and I assume rooms 284-292 would have the same problem) was right over the garbage pick-up location. The balcony stunk of trash, the truck came by at 3:15am each night and with paper thin outside walls unless you are totally passed out you will wake up, I did the pick-up service take 1/2 hour. As for location great, bed wonderful however I woke with back pain both nights. Parking $40 a night, you can park indoor secure 2 min walk away for $17. Internet $9.95 good enough for streaming not worth paying $14.95 for upgrade. Both networks are password protected but not secure.

Room Tip: Choose inside courtyard facing pool of tanning room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed in room 319 for 3 nights for a Chargers v. Saints football weekend. I am so glad that a friend recommended this hotel to us - there were a few minor "bumps" but overall it was a great stay and we would stay here again without hesitation.

Pros: Great location! Wow it is right on Bourbon and Iberville Streets. The hotel takes up the whole block and it also borders Canal St. Our room faced Canal St. but the noise wasn't ever an issue. We did hear sirens occasionally, but that was it. We were at the end of a long and crazy hallway (crazy as in it was a winding way to get there - my first thought was leave a bread crumb trail! LOL). So there wasn't any hallway noise and we had a connecting room but never could hear our neighbors.

HOtel is freshly renovated and redecorated - it was nice. Still kept the charm of an older building (12 foot ceilings! nice!) but with the modern sleek furnishings. The bed was SO comfortable. I miss it now that I am home. Linens were nice. There is a small banquet type table and a round table for "dining" or snacks. Flat screen TV. Coffee/tea make, mini fridge. There is also a safe in the room. The bathroom had a nice vanity with sink that made it look updated. Temperature was easy to control and always comfortable.

Front desk staff/bell persons were helpful and friendly during our stay. Easy check-in, we had a late arrival. Hotel was great location. While it is on Bourbon street, I wouldn't really worry about getting a room facing that street, since it is the start of Bourbon and not really where the partiers are - though there is a 3 story hamburger joint across on Bourbon that make be a bit busy.

2 courtyards (if really concerned about noise maybe ask for something facing them) one with pool and one without. The pool area is nice, though a bit generic. NOthing really special.

Cons: When I first called on day of arrival to advise we would be late for check-in, the front desk women was a bit rude and not helpful, so my initial impressions were not great. HOwever, she was gone by the time we arrived and the check-in was great.

Shower pressure - what a bummer. It was SO weak - like a trickle on our first morning, I asked at the front desk and they supposedly sent maintenance up - it was better the nxt 2 days, but still nothing acceptable. Our shower head was not the same as in other rooms and other guests said that their pressure was great. So maybe avoid 319?

Small flat screen TV - the room is fairly large and with the hight ceilings, this dwarfted the TV.

Shower stall/tile was a bit dirty - needed a good cleaning or replacement.

Maid service - was spotty. The room was always clean, but replacing hand towels, soap and TP and the coffee for the coffee maker was not given attention to detail.

Overall though just "minor" issues and nothing that would prevent me from returning. I would probably ask for another room if these issues with this one were not addressed. Other than that it was so fun to visit NO! Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: If shower pressure is an issue avoid 319. Ask for an inner courtroom room for quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hyatt French Quarter? Share your experiences!