“More Attention to Detail Would Have Made it an Excellent Stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt French Quarter

Save Saved
You added Hyatt French Quarter to your Saves list
Hyatt French Quarter
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   800 Iberville Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Formerly Chateau Bourbon - A Wyndham Historic Hotel) (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
French Quarter Theater
Ranked #25 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
New Orleans, Louisiana
“More Attention to Detail Would Have Made it an Excellent Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This Hyatt looks like a brand new hotel and appears to be well maintained. The room was large, quiet, clean, and had high-end toiletries, including tooth paste - which is not common in most hotels. The bed was very comfortable, and the cooling system worked well. The hotel is in a great location for visiting the major tourist attractions in and around the French Quarter and is only a short walk from the Superdome. The hotel staff was friendly, and was responsive to the issues we experienced during our stay.

I did not rate this hotel "excellent" because we had a few issues during our stay that you wouldn't expect from a "premium" hotel.

1) Since we were celebrating our anniversary we decided to pay extra for a King Balcony room so we could relax outside with a cup of coffee in the morning. We booked our room through Hyatt's website. We used Hyatt's online check-in prior to our arrival and were given a room on the second floor. We immediately went to look at the balcony only to discover that our room did not have one. Instead we were given a room with doors that opened to the pool deck. The outer pane on one of the doors was shattered so we were nervous about opening the door.

I contacted the front desk and was told that due to some maintenance issues they did not have a King Balcony room for us. I was a little frustrated that this was not mentioned to us at check-in since we paid extra for a room with a balcony. We were told that we could move to a room with Queen beds and a balcony, but we decided that a King bed was more important than the balcony. The hotel agreed to lower our rate to match the "non-balcony" rate.

2) When we arrived at our new room I discovered a problem with the shower. There was virtually no cold water and not enough water pressure to reach the shower head unless the handle was turned only fully to "hot". Sine we were running late for our dinner reservations I decided to chance the low pressure scalding shower. Unfortunately there wasn't enough pressure to rinse all of the shampoo out of my hair so I looked like Seinfeld in the "low water pressure" episode. My wife was smarter than me and decided to skip the shower. The shower was fixed the next day.

3) Only one of the entry cards for our room worked. Unfortunately I had the "bad" card and couldn't enter the hotel when I ran back to the room to pick up something we forgot. I was a sitting duck for panhandlers who offered to help for a tip. The "tip" didn't work :) so I tracked down my wife and returned with the good card. I was issued a new card the next morning.

We're from New Orleans and stay downtown often. I might try this hotel again, but won't finish our stay next time if it gets off to the same start.

577 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Spring, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The past couple times I've been to New Orleans, I've stopped off at this gem of a bar. Never crowded, but has AWESOME cocktails. The bartenders are all knowledgeable and will concoct you something you won't soon forget (or maybe you will since they definitely don't skimp on the alcohol). They infuse their own liqours and their drinks are always very inventive. I'll never hit the Quarter without stopping by here for a couple of hours to pass some time with great drinks and awesome conversation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Location is close to bourbon but far enough so you dont hear anything from the street. The decor in the hotel was lovely, very modern. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The concierge was knowledgable and gave good advice ie places to eat, visit etc. There is a cafe bar and restaurant in the hotel, all of which were good, especially the restuarant. After finding a lot of deep fried seafood the red fish restuarant with its various grilled options was great. Getting to our room was a bit tricky you kinda felt like you were in a maze:-) Once you got the hang if it though it was fine.
The Room: the bed was amazing. Honestly the best bed i have EVER slept in. One downside was that the shower was not very powerful and the water a bit lukewarm on one or two occasions. The only other issue was the wifi....they charge $10 for 24 hrs that you have to use in one go. Kinda annoying but we found a few bars in bourbon street who had wifi. There was a gym (which i didnt use but looked nice) and a pool in the court yard decor and service top notch...attentive but not overbearing. Overall a great experience.

Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Positives:
1. great location, within walking distance of everything, including public transit
2. recently remodeled, rooms are beautiful, high ceilings and lots of space
3. staff was both friendly and helpful, Charles the concierge is a huge asset to utilize
4. exits onto several major streets allows for safe and easy access in/out of hotel

Negatives:
1. you pay for everything, even the internet and at $10/day it is worth the walk to a cafe for free access, plus we purchased breakfast items from the local Fresh Market to save on meals, breakfast at the hotel is pricey and not anything special
2. tv goes in and out, so if you like to watch tv when relaxing in the room, good luck getting decent reception
3. water pressure was lacking, not bad but not great
4. noisy at night but it is NOLA, if you want quiet, I recommend you stay somewhere outside the quarter

Overall, we would stay again but only at a discounted rate, I would not pay full price to stay here.

Room Tip: choose a room in the inner courtyard to reduce noise, there is some construction on the Iberville St
Aiken, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at the at the Hyatt French Quarter and found it a comfortable place to return to at the end of the day after working on Hurricane Isaac relief. Rooms were clean and well designed, beds were comfortable and the in room amenities were perfect. Ice machines did not seem to be at the places indicated by the signs on the walls and in the guest room guide, I had walk all the way down to the bar on the first floor to get ice. The attached dining facilities served a variety of good food but were priced just a little higher than I expected. Bourbon Street is an exciting and noisy street but the Hyatt French Quarter is adequately insulated and the sounds do not come through to the room-- peaceful and restful sleep is the norm. Bourbon Street is right out the front door and every type of dining or entertainment you can imagine is just a few steps away from your "home".

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor and take advantage of the courtyard and pool or stay higher up to take adva...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed at the Chateau Bourbon despite reading reviews about the renovation. We are very happy we took the chance for the Jazz Fest. The location was ideal, we were able to venture on our own. The staff could not be more accommodating and friendly- southern hospitality at its best. Our modern room was more to the interior so we did not hear Bourbon St or outside noise. We ended up having the best time at the pool which has a bar. ****We were able to comfortably walk to the main attractions including a dinner cruise on the Natchez. That was the only information I could not tell on the boards. We walked to dinner at both Brennans and Galatoire but rode the trolley to the Fest. We plan to return!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hyatt French Quarter Sept. 7-9th. The hotel is sleek and modern on the inside. It is a very large building so you you have exits on Canal and Burbon St. We had a balcony King on Iberville facing the Ritz. The room did not have a bathtub but did offer a double shower. The beds were very comfortable. The TV was small for the larger room size but we did not come to NOLA to watch tv in our bedroom. Yes, the parking is overpriced. There is a garage around the block that is more reasonable. Overall it was a great stay and the hotel made me feel fancy.

Room Tip: The pool closes at 10pm so there isn't much noise coming from the courtyard too late. I would g...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt French Quarter? Share your experiences!