“Very Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt French Quarter

You added Hyatt French Quarter to your Saves list
Hyatt French Quarter
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   800 Iberville Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Formerly Chateau Bourbon - A Wyndham Historic Hotel) (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
French Quarter Theater
Ranked #22 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Tempe, Arizona
“Very Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

As a travel reporter I stay at over 30 hotels a year. I was excited to stay in New Orleans' French Quarter and even more excited to stay at a newly redone property.

Cons
Only one VERY small trash canister in the room
Beverage machines were empty the entire weekend of my stay. I checked all four floors of the hotel. Plus, I lost $2 in one of the machines. When I phoned down to the front desk to ask when they would be refilled it rang and rang until finally someone in the back office picked up and told me to "just buy sodas in the hotel restaurant, they aren't much more". They were, in fact, a dollar more plus tax each.
When I decided to take out my overload of trash I could not find a container on the first, second or third floors. I literally walked outside and tried to find a container to deposit my trash
The small sofa and table in the room did not face the TV. The only place to watch the TV was from the bed. This made my stay uncomfortable.
The restaurant took my room service order then told me 20 minutes later they didn't have what I ordered (I must say when the room service clerk told me they didn't have order, he was very nice and did offer a free breakfast).
I knew I had spent more than my credit card hold on room expenses. I went down to the front desk and told them to run another card for incidentals and to be sure to leave the room charges on the original card. The attendant assured me they would. Nope! They charged the room and incidentals to the new card.

On Friday I asked that the manger contact me. Nope, I never got a call from the hotel manager.

Pros
Good location
Friendly staff (but not well versed in fine customer service)
Comfortable bed
Comfortable small sofa and table (I really like the sofa/table arrangement except for location)

As much as I travel, I have never left a negative comment on trip advisor. This stay, and lack of response from hotel management, forced me to warn other travelers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where the sofa faces the TV.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
AFOMHyattFQ, Manager at Hyatt French Quarter, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
I want to thank you for the feedback with regards to the collapse in service and followup. We strive to followup and follow through with our guests and take ownership of an issue once it is brought to our attention. Obviously in this case we failed. I hope that this will be seen as an isolated incident and I truly hope that you will give Hyatt French Quarter another chance should your travels bring you back to New Orleans.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed at this location when it was called the chateau bourbon I must say since it's now a Hyatt and remodeled its now a wonderful place to stay. It's located next to the greatest street on earth. The valet guy John offered us great service.
I have only 2 complaints, the ac would not cool as I would have liked and the parking fee is rediculous. Cheaper parking is found just a block away.

• Stayed August 2012
Collierville, Tennessee, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I booked this hotel to meet a client for a 3-day intensive working session. We chose this hotel because the website shows beautiful photos of a large sectional sofa and additional chaise lounge in the double queen room (as we booked) - we were thrilled to have a great meeting space that would be conducive for long hours. When I arrived there is only a small loveseat and table. Weird. So I'm to sit *next to my client for 3 days on a loveseat? Attempts to get the manager and even Hyatt Corporate Consumer Affairs to help us resulted in "offers" for us to change rooms at an additional cost of $100-127/night (depending on the solution). Really? I have to PAY to fix their false advertising problem? I've just submitted my complaint to the BBB. This is outrageous. I was so excited because the website made the hotel look stunning. Now I'm just really disappointed and a bit embarrassed because my client shows up tomorrow and is expecting a working retreat. Instead, it's just a flat note. Now I need to go find some breath mints since we're going to be working in such close quarters.

To be fair, if this were an ordinary pleasure trip I would likely be happier. Everything looks freshly refurnished and painted. I'm mostly disgruntled because of the trite reaction I've received from management and the misleading representation on hyatt.com.

Room Tip: I read another review that the street-front balconies were loud but I must say, the balcony facing t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
I would like to apologize for the fact that you did not receive the exact room that was depicted on the Hyatt.com website. As you may or may not have known the Hyatt French Quarter has many different room configurations within our property. One of the great features of this property is the many different room configurations that add to the charm of the property. Obviously, in this case, we were not able to provide you with the exact configuration that you needed and I apologize for that. Should your travels bring you back to New Orleans in the future, please contact me: (Derek Chivers) and I would be happy to assist you. Thank you for the feedback.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Comfortable hotel. French Quarter NOLA, right on Bourbon Street. High ceilings, nice big bed. No complaints (except room attendants would either not do their thing until 5 p.m. or they would keep knocking every half hour even though we said we were in there); valet parking; ATM on site; they even let us borrow a couple of wine glasses from the hotel bar. You've got to check out the neighborhoods near the street market / cafe au lait (great street music, street artists, and little watering holes), the French market restaurant, the absinthe house (bring a business card), Kenner Seafood, and Sammy's (a legit locals restaurant). Don't forget to visit one of the voodoo shops, Marie Laveau's perhaps. And you've got to visit a cemetery or two. St. Louis cemetery #1 I think is an experience. Btw, everything but Sammy's and Kenner Seafood is within walking distance of the hotel. I think we'll be back to nawlins.

P.S., stay away from the oysters on the half shell (if you're used to how they're served in CT or NY); get the po' boys and the gumbo instead...just sayin'

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Excellent food like deanies, acme are basically outside your door. Cheap secured covered public parking 1 block away. They charge 1/2 of what hotels charge. Staff was knowledgable & helpful, great large & modern rooms

• Stayed August 2012
Halifax, NS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

This hotel is a gem and is located right in the heart of the French Quarter. It has been completed renovated and the rooms are large, clean and comfortable. You can walk everywhere and there are great restaurant located all around you, however, the hotel grille serves great food as well and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: We stayed on the opposite of the pool side and there was absolutely no noise from the streets or any...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Oneonta, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We had a balcony over Bourbon at the calmer area so we were able to enjoy the street at night with our kids from the balcony. The staff were very very friendly & helpful the hotel itself was super elegant. I will definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a balcony its an experience.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt French Quarter? Share your experiences!