“Little to Offer” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau Dupre Hotel

Save Saved
You added Chateau Dupre Hotel to your Saves list
Chateau Dupre Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   131 Rue Decatur, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Ramada Inn French Quarter) (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #144 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
“Little to Offer”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2005

Simply put, we would not stay at this Hotel again. When we arrived it 3:30 p.m. it was 10 p.m. when we finally got into our room althought they did let us have a room to change in for dinner. They had a college group in the weekend before that tore the place up. The internet didn't work in the rooms and if you do stay at this hotel don't get a room facing the street. There is a bar that stays open until 2:00 a.m. and the band plays very loud. The hotel was clean. Maybe we had a bad experience.

• Stayed April 2005

318 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2005

All I can say is great. The hotel- Great! The Front Desk Supervisor (Keyshell)- Great! The Hotel Manager (Darrel)-Great! Housekeeping Manger (Pat)- Great! The Room (406)-Great! The lobby had great artwork and decor, (the couch was a bit dated and worn) I would live at this hotel if I could. It was that good. Darrel, Keyshell, and Pat were 3 of the greatest people I've met in all my travels. I travel a lot (6-8 times a year) and never leave comments about anything. Everything is just good. I had to inform others of my stay at this hotel though. The staff makes your stay even better at this hotel. I have to come back to New Orleans in 4 months and will be giving Darrel a call to let him know I'm coming to visit. The only complaint I have about this hotel is that I was not there long enough. Pat, get the extra coffee! Keyshell- Get my extra keys. Darrel- Have my room ready! I'll see you all real soon. Thanks again for really standing out!

• Stayed February 2005
dallas, texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2005

This was an AWFUL hotel. Vomit in elevator, dirty bathroom, ridiculous surcharges. These things were all managable. I absolutely put my foot down when a rat scurried across the floor. The response from management: "This is the French Quarter - what do you expect?" was completely unacceptable. They finally agreed to transfer us to a sister property. I will never, ever, ever stay here again.

• Stayed October 2004
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2005

My long time friend and I went to New Orleans for Mardi Gras 2005. The hotel is in a great location. Easy to access parade routes, close to great restaurants and shops, and of course, Bourbon Street. For a three star hotel I expected alittle more from the Chateau Dupre. I was mostly disappointed with the cleanliness of the room. I had to ask for the tub and sink to be cleaned when we arrived. Garbage was left in the drawers from a previous visitor. Some good points are: 1) the Staff are friendly and accomodating; 2) the restaurant "New Orleans Cafe" was good, and 3) location in the French Quarter. We enjoyed a good breakfast and lunch at the "New Orleans Cafe" downstairs in the hotel.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2005

Recently, I took my parents to visit New Orleans and we stayed at the Hotel Dupres in the famous French Quarter. Never again! I booked the hotel on Southwest Airline's site (as a support link for hotel bookings in the area we booked are flights to). I completed the online booking and the reconfirmed with the hotel after by phone, only to find that they had no knowledge of this reservation. They were rude about it, and took no responsibility at all. After going through everything on the phone again, I found that, on the day of our arrival, they still only had only one of the two reservations...still not a problem really, since they were able to re-book the second. When we arrived at the hotel, we found a party of four checking in having a particularly hard time with the front desk...which, in hindsight, should have being a warning. When we checked in, we were surprised to find that there were mandatory service charges (ie. a safe in the room that we were charged for even if we did not use it (for $4.95/night, as well as being charged for 'long distance' and 'internet access' for $2.95/night even if we did not use it!).

After a huge hassle, and a fight with the manager, these charges were waived. The rooms were dirty and unclean. We had to switch rooms also, (which was no easy task) as their fans were on full blast and the rooms were freezing cold! Don't try and have the hotel flag you a cap either, since the gentleman who worked for the hotel took 15-20 minutes to get one, causing us to be late for a dinner engagement.

Oh, and another scary discovery was the "padlocked" emergency exits, which I discovered after giving up on the snail-paced elevator to arrive. They are locked from the outside as my dad noticed!

By the way...just to let you know...the French Quarter itself wasn't much better. It felt as if most of the service industry there is somewhat contemptuos of tourists (that's nice, considering tourism is one of their biggest businesses!). We found restaurant staff and shop employees to be either disinterested in serving us and/or rude. Oh, and we were successfully scammed by a cab driver when we were charged $12 for a 4 block ride on a quiet friday morning. He did not turn the meter on and insisted on a flat rate.

Oh well, live and learn I guess.

I will however metion that the Grapevine restaurant in the French Quarter was amazing...friendly knowledgable staff and great food/ambiance....although, come to think of it, this restaurant was recommended by locals.
figures!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2005

We stayed at the Chateau Dupre Jan. 20th - 22nd. I read all the reviews and was surprised how "hot" and "cold" the reviews were. I can't say any of them, good or bad, were that off base. I will say that we did not see any roaches or mice. I found the place to be old (built in 1854 or so) but quaint in its own way. They do have some maintenance they could do to the place, but it was clean. If you are expecting something even like a Hampden Inn or Ramada...this is not the place for you.

It worked for us. We found that we weren't in the room that much, there is so much to see and do in the French Quarter. We would leave in the morning and return late. It's very close to many of the attractions. Our friends stayed at a very nice place right on Burbon St, I believe rooms started at $266/night, and while it was nice, they felt as though they wasted their money because they were never there. They would have been happy at the Chateau Dupre.

If you plan to stay here go with an open mind and you will be fine. If you have any questions feel free to email me.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2005

Although we had a reservation, they had given our room to someone else. When we finally were provided a room, it had no hot water in the shower. The first morning we were woken up very early by maintenace crews scraping carpet off the floor. When we tried to return to our room in the afternoon, we couldn't get there because our room was blocked by a large section of wet leveling compound. We moved to a different room where we got no sleep due to the noise of garbage trucks in the alley. The fire exit door was missing a handle. The staff was rude and very unaccomidating. I can't believe the tripadvisor rating. I've traveled the world and this was the worst hotel experience I've ever had. Don't do it!

Been to Chateau Dupre Hotel? Share your experiences!