“Far from being a Castle” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau Dupre Hotel

Save Saved
You added Chateau Dupre Hotel to your Saves list
Chateau Dupre Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   131 Rue Decatur, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Ramada Inn French Quarter) (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #141 of 152 hotels in New Orleans
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Far from being a Castle”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

The only positive comment I can make about this hotel is that it is in a good location, you are right in the French Quarter. Otherwise it is run down, dirty, moldy. I had to change room 3 times to be able to have a bit of comfort, I woke up in the morning with a couple of small cockroaches crawling on my leg...Most of the TV channels did not work and when they did it was all foggy.
I was charged $269.00 per night because it was Jazz Fest.

Room Tip: There is a decent restaurant next door where you can have breakfast.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

300 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is close to everything, it has an excellent location. Before arriving I was nervous about the quality of the hotel but it is overall ok. It is a good hotel to stay for cheap and explore the city. The staff is nice we were able to get our room before check in, I really appreciated that. They also store our bags after we check out. It is a good value with good service, and a perfect location!

• Stayed April 2013
Pensacola, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I went to New Orleans and paid $500 for 2 nights at this place. It was not worth $100 a night. I was in a king size "bed" that was actually a king size mattress that was sitting on 2 twin size box springs. One of the box springs had a huge brown stain on it, the curtains had similar stains on it, and there was a hole the window frame that was covered by masking tape and had obvious water damage. The hotel was located right beside a recycling/trash center so it was hard to get any sleep due to the dumping of bottles every other hour. Then, my last night there it rains. I wake up in the middle of the night with the window leaking large amounts of water. I was so exhausted that I did not tell the front desk until check out. When I was checking out, I started to mention the window and the front desk clerk cut me off and said,"It's leaking?" Obviously we weren't the first customers to complain about it. If you are get a room here for less than $75 a night, go for it. If you are looking to pay more, I would suggest an establishment that takes pride in themselves.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Osage Beach, Missouri, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The hotel is located in the French Quarter within walking distance of a lot of activities, the fun stops there though. Yes it is an older building--brick on one side of the room and plaster on the other, long and narrow that sort of thing-- and that didn't bother me or my sister. The beds weren't really comfortable the type you can feel the springs when you sit down on it. We had two towels in the bathroom that was it no washcloths or hand towels; towels that are so small and thin you wonder why you bother. Towels were replaced just once and with stained towels over the 4 night stay. Things only got worse the storm that had gone through left and it got hotter, and humid. Our air conditioning didn't work. They didn't care, 'we don't have anywhere to put you'...no offer to get someone in to fix it or anything. The maintenance man at least got us a few fans. The same day our shower's hot water stopped working, he did attempt to fix it but needless to say after one of us took a shower it broke again. Again the maintenance man offered to let us in another room luckily we were leaving that day. Oh and the safety hazards, NO FIRE ALARM, wires coming out the wall where the telephone was plugged in, the shower was mildewy--I wore flip flops in there all week--, and just general repair was poor paint colors didn't match, tiles in the bathroom cracked, and the elevator only stays open for about 5 seconds so be quick. We loved our trip but not our hotel. If you go there just remember you are paying for the location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Really dirty. Everything is dirty. The floor is dirty. There is a dilapidated couch in the room that is dirty. There is a table that has sticky food spills all over it. The bathroom is dirty with a sticky floor. The walls are dirty and cracked. I'm surprised I haven't gotten rashes from the bed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed at Chateau Dupre as part of tour when the taxi pulled up outside I got that sinking feeling torn canopy and that feeling just kept on sinking. We'd travelled from Memphis on the Amtrak train and had got up very early to start that journey arriving at the hotel at 3-45pm where we just wanted to get to our room and unwind. No chance 'the room wasn't ready' and wouldn't be until 4-30pm we were informed by a totally disinterested individual at reception. Sitting in the reception area we took in the decor which looked as if it hadn't been painted since hurricane Katrina had flooded New Orleans, the walls had water marks and paint peeling off. We looked for the complimentary coffee but it had been empty for hours. We decided on a beer and were given plastic containers because the bar next door didn't belong to the hotel and as we found out later neither did the restaurant. You can access both from inside the hotel but they are independently owned.

After waiting until 5pm I asked the receptionist if our room was ready and it was but even though we were sat only yards away the chap never mentioned this until approached. There was no-one to help us with our luggage and so we got into the filthy lift which trapped my arm as it attempted to set off before we'd got all our bags into it.

Inside the room from the dark,dirty hallway we were astounded to find a huge black industrial contraption taking up a corner of the room restricting access to that side of the bed. The view out of the window was barely visible as the windows hadn't been cleaned in a decade and the glass panes clung on precariously to the small amount of putty left in place. The bedding was stained with all manner of cosmetics and spilt drinks and the wool blanket clearly hadn't been laundered for an age, the carpet was littered with trodden in gum and burns while the chair was just totally ingrained with dirt. The curtains hung down from the windows as the hooks had come away from the fabric.

The bathroom showed signs of recent refurbishment, however, the toilet seat had all manner of things attached to it (won't go into detail) and hair beneath it. The shower rose was crusted with scum and was legionnaires disease waiting to happen no way were we going to use it. We must have been lucky with the towels as they looked to have been a recent purchase.

After one very uncomfortable night we managed to contact England and were thankfully moved to another hotel but whist we were waiting to move observed a huge cockroach scurrying across the desk and when we informed the receptionist she replied that all the hotels in New Orleans have them they come in from outside. I wouldn't wish our experience of this hotel on my worst enemy and think the Chateau Dupre should update it's photographs to reflect the hotels true image that of a dirty, dismal and depressing run down dump.

Room Tip: Quality Inns & Suites 210 O'Keefe Avenue. Any room will do they're all beautiful don'...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Chateau Dupre Hotel? Share your experiences!