“It is what it is.” 2 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in New Orleans
Capri Motel
You added Capri Motel to your Saves list
2424 Tulane Ave., New Orleans, LA 70119 (Mid-City)   |
Ranked #143 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Long Beach, California
“It is what it is.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

My last two visits to NOLA were very 'impromptu' and on extremely busy weekends. I can be a kamikaze-type traveler and don't spend much time in a hotel anyway so I tend NOT to want to spend $400/night at a place (unless it's a special occasion).

Note: I have stayed here MORE THAN ONCE. Incidentally, I am a single female traveler and not unattractive.

The first time I stayed my usual place was booked and I stayed at my cab driver's suggestion. If you have your own car, it works. It's a bit too far out of the quarter for me, though. I just took cabs & last time rode a rental bike.

Last time I flew in for the marathon. Knowing my schedule was full while there, I thought I'd give it another shot.

Yes, the area is quite sketchy. Yes, the long-term tenants may be shady. Cleanliness indeed...is a different standard, but seriously for this price do you expect the Ritz? The staff was helpful when they were around, and told me that they positioned my room so I'd be close to the office so they could keep an eye out.. The day of the marathon I had to leave quite early for the start and was willing to pay for an extra day just because I couldn't cart my luggage out that morning for obvious reasons. I ended up calling in the afternoon because the office was unmanned when I had to leave to let them know. I guess the Asian woman had limited understanding of my plans -- when I returned after my day (and afterparty) they'd packed all of my belongings for me. My belongings were waiting in the office; I had nothing missing. I think this says quite a bit of the staff - I had items that would be tempting to steal. I just called another hotel and got into a much nicer place in a more convenient location (on Sundays, vacancies can be in abundance)

If you're in a pinch for lodging and just need a place to sleep a few hours, this works. It's far from fancy, and any savvy traveler knows they need to be careful ANYWHERE. The staff is very nice but unfortunately the hotel is in a bad area and caters to a certain 'clientele' (tranny prostitutes). If you're timid and can't handle yourself, don't deal with it.

I don't think I'll stay here in the future, but one never knows. I was there when 98% of the hotels were booked. I do know that several cab drivers who were natives warned me of the area, so I may heed.

All in all, this is a bargain place. It does come with some faults. Bring your own blanket & towel. The large rooms come with a frig and microwave, but the rooms could use new carpet, new bedding, new towels....I've stayed at some super nice places in NOLA and the standards of cleanliness even there have not on my level, and this Capri is definitely NOT super nice, but I am a realist.

If the owners put in some cash to fix the problems, things might be better. I don't know that they could fix their regular clientele, though. Can't really discriminate against people because they may be poor, and can't really butt into their personal lives...right?

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Families
Couples
Business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012 via mobile

First, prostitution. You will see hookers. Second, drugs. Yes, there are full-time drug addicts living here with their toddlers. It's friday night, however, and I've yet to hear a gunshot & only one siren. The bath towels are an insult to common human decency, but if you are uncommon, you realize that two half-size towels equals one. There is a steady leak from the bathroom above mine which is perceptibly worsening, and providentially happens to fall directly into the toilet and sink. I have seen nor looked for any sign of vermin, but upon crawling into bed, i do itch, but then again I forgot to pack my own soap. There is a full fridge, great tv coverage, but I've just called the front desk to complain about a nearby rooms dogs, who were clawing and clamoring about the door presumably in the owners absence. The front desk was forthright and obliging and somehow, I wish to think without malice, has silenced those poor beasts. But no remote control. Seriously, to hell with this place.

• Stayed February 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011 via mobile

I work for the U.S. Forest Service. I had the misfortune of staying here for a week. It was a horrible nightmare. People opening my door, trying to coerce me into buying their crack and drugged up women. When I said no, they became aggressive and tried to force themselves into my room. Police were of no help. Their solution was for me to lock my door for the night. The owner, when I complained, refused to listen to what I had to say. Each night I was awakened to screaming and yelling. Let's not forget the mice and cockroaches. The sheets had burn holes next to where the mice had chewed through. The cold water only worked half of the time. The rooms smell like death and to top it all, there were syringes in the desk drawer. Over all, if you stay here after reading this, then there is no hope for you.

• Stayed February 2011

Been to Capri Motel? Share your experiences!