“One of the most memorable hotels in the US” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bourbon Orleans Hotel

Save Saved
You added Bourbon Orleans Hotel to your Saves list
Bourbon Orleans Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   717 Orleans St., New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel packages
Special Deal
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #6 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Toronto, Canada
“One of the most memorable hotels in the US”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I recently did a road trip across the US and had the opportunity to stay in over 20 different properties throughout the country. I have to say that my stay at the Bourbon Orleans Hotel in New Orleans was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. The room was spacious, clean and classy, and the food was unbelievable. Every traveler MUST stay here during their time in New Orleans.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
BourbonOrleansHotel, General Manager at Bourbon Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a glowing review about your stay at our hotel during your recent cross country trip. With numerous French Quarter Hotel choices available, I am grateful you decided to stay with us. Our recent renovations to our guest rooms provide you with comfortable beds and upgraded amenities including 42" flat screen TV's and Free WiFi with iHome docking stations. Again, I thank you for your comments and look forward to having you as our guest the next time your travels bring you back to the Big Easy!

1,530 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
Greenfield, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I really enjoyed most things about my stay in early July, Great location and excellent service by all staff,

Bar was nice, We had a 6th floor courtyard overlooking the pool. Room service breakfast was very good. I will stay here again.

Two complaints.

1; I asked for some extra time before checking and was told it would be an extra $50. I was only asking for an hour!

2. Parking was high priced and when I asked for the car,they told me it would be 45 minutes. That is too long,but wait time was actually an hour. Unacceptable.

I would stay again but would make other parking arrangements,

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are quiet and being so close to Bourbon Street was not even noticeable.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was the perfect place to stay to attend the French Quarter Festival. Right in the middle of all of the action, as it is located directly behind Jackson Square and St Louis Cathedral. It also is on Bourbon Street, so we were right in the mix of things for our nighttime activities. Everyone was so very nice. It was raining on Sunday morning, and I wanted to walk to church, but did not have an umbrella. The valet asked another valet via radio to retrieve my umbrella from my vehicle, and when I was ready to leave for church, it was waiting for me at the valet stand. The room was nice, bedding was comfortable. I will be staying at the Bourbon Orleans again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so happy to hear you had a great time at our hotel when you were in town for French Quarter Festival. Yes, we are located in the Heart of the French Quarter putting us in the middle of all the action for this ever growing and very popular festival. It's comforting to know you have a room nearby to relax for a while before hitting the streets again enjoying all the sights, sounds and great food this event has to offer. I will be certain to thank our valet team on your behalf for the "extras" they provided. We look forward to having you back for the 2014 French Quarter Festival!
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Wonderful location for shopping and sightseeing. Great court yard view and pool. With walking to everything. Only problem was parking. We used the parking valet but had to go around the block several times before we could get to them. Empty taxis were blocking axis to the valets and waiting on the one way street meant blocking traffic.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at our hotel. As you mentioned, we are located in the heart of the French Quarter making us the perfect location for walking to all the great shops, dining and nightlife. I am sorry you had some issues with parking. Our valet service does an excellent job keeping things flowing in spite of all the activity going on in the French Quarter. We look forward to having you as our guest again when your travels bring you back to New Orleans!
Brazoria, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had a second floor room overlooking Orleans Street. The room was very spacious, great working A/C. The entrance and bathroom floor is beautiful polished marble. Be careful when stepping on it, it can be slippery. The rest of the room is carpeted. There was a large window in the shape of a half-circle with about a 6 foot diameter. There were wooden louvers that could be open and closed. However, when closed they did not darken the room at night. Light from outside shined through, keeping the room fairly light all night long. If you prefer a dark room for sleeping, this would not be the room for you. The hotel should put some kind of drapery that you could close at night to darken the room.
In the bathroom there is a motion sensor that turns on the exhaust fan. After a period of sensing no movement, it will turn the fan off. There is a walk-in shower with the water control on the step in side, so you can adjust the water temperature before getting under the shower. Nice. The ceiling in the bathroom is low,which meant that when I was standing in front of the mirror I couldn't see anything above my chin unless I bent down.
The room had a coffee maker that can make 1 or 2 cups of coffee, and dispenses directly into the cup(s). There is no fridge or microwave.
The room was very comfortable, and we had excellent service from the staff. Located right behind Jackson Square, it is an ideal location for staying in the French Quarter.

Room Tip: Orleans Street rooms are quieter than Bourdon Street rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
BourbonOrleansHotel, General Manager at Bourbon Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a great review highlighting several points regarding your stay at our hotel. Our recent renovations to all our guest rooms include comfortable beds and bedding, European style bathrooms, 42" flat screen TV's, new coffee makers just to name a few among many other amenities. A favorite addition for our guests is Free WiFi and iHome docking stations! With our location in the Heart of the French Quarter, you are steps away from everything that makes this part of New Orleans so exciting and memorable. After a day of sightseeing and shopping you can cool off in our beautiful courtyard saltwater pool while sipping a cocktail from our newly renovated bar “Bourbon "O". We look forward to having you as our guest when you return to the Big Easy!
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were really torn how to rate this place. Let's just tell you how it went and you judge.

The wonderful. Grits, OMG the grits on Sunday and Monday morning were hands down the best in my life. I don't make grits because mine come out like they did Tuesday morning. Bland and runny. But the eggs I ordered over medium never came that way until Tuesday morning with yucky grits! That was all OK because like I said the grits were heaven the first two mornings. Breakfast had to be our favorite part of the stay. Everything else for breakfast was always perfect. Too bad we stayed on nights when the dinner service was closed, it read like heaven.

The pool was great. I loved how quite it was and just floating, relaxing and having all my troubles melt away. We brought in some NOLAs poboys to eat poolside and had a blast. BTW NOLA's poboys had the best crawfish! Plus they deliver :)

Guest service. Everyone I met was great. They were all so polite and smiley. The only one who seemed standoffish was one I tried to catch up with in the hall to tip until she realized I was calling her back to tip her, then i got the same warm smile and service. But I got it, they were very busy. And dang those guest service workers run hard, no doubt they earn their check. Really, everyone working down there does.

It is hot and humid and they were a bit tight or stingy with water bottles up front. Maybe the demand was just too high?

The hotel overall was pretty clean but we had a NASTY surprise late the last night of our stay. I noticed after we were in the room already two nights after reaching to pick something up between the far bed by the balcony wall (about a 1 foot space) the bedskirt had dried vomit. I can see how they could miss it where it was but come on, that was freaking nasty. On Bourbon St shouldn't they know to look for it? This would have been a 5 star stay had I not found it. But the fact it was on Bourbon St is why that number did not earn this place a 1 star review... I saw loads of puking and street washing of puke out there. Have you ever heard of a hand grenade drink? Yeah, puking is the norm.

I kept my mouth shut because it was late and our last night and my kids would of freaked the smack out. Personally, it was not worth the fallout of my kids knowing what they slept by for a couple nights. Told the room service crew in the AM since no one would come in contact.

A/C gets as cold as you want (seriously we had it set on 55) and the beds were so squishy cozy. Movie prices were insane so we skipped and TV selection practically nonexistent. But then again they were so close to Cafe Du Monde I could slip out any time of night and sneak a beignet.

I would stay again after a thorough inspection of my room first of course. I would suggest any other to do the same but not write this place off.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
BourbonOrleansHotel, General Manager at Bourbon Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
I really appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. The great reviews about your breakfast grits, our relaxing courtyard saltwater pool and our staff will certainly be passed along to everyone. I am mortified about what you discovered on the bed skirt and assure you this was a unique occurrence. Please understand we do our very best to maintain the cleanliness of our hotel especially since we are located on Bourbon Street. We would be grateful for another opportunity to have you as our guest the next time you visit New Orleans.
Pasadena, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This hotel is very pretty and in a great location. The problems we had revolved around our reservation. I booked the summer special (free valet parking and 2 breakfast vouchers) online and when I checked in the front desk clerk stated he did not see that on our reservation and that I needed to call the reservation staff at 7am the next morning. He also stated that they were fully booked and could not accommodate our double room reservation that included two beds. He stated that we were upgraded to a loft overlooking Bourbon Street instead. The view was great but we only had one bed and a sofa bed so two people had to sleep on a sofa bed instead of a double bed. If you are travelling with small children, please note that the rooms have a shower and no tub.

When I called the reservation staff the next morning, I was informed that they could not help me once I was checked in but maybe the in house reservation staff could help. I was told to contact them at 9am and could possibly pay the difference and receive the summer special. At 9am when I called the in house reservation person, I was told once again that they could not change the reservation once I was checked in but that I could change the second night's reservation. I really wish the person that had checked us in had dealt with this issue rather than refer us to someone else who ultimately could not. The only reason I chose this hotel was because of the summer special. It really didn't seem like a complicated matter to fix when we checked in. I have a hard time believing that no one can help with a reservation problem after the reservation staff has left for the evening. Everyone I spoke with was very professional and apologetic but no one could fix the problem.

I would like to compliment the following employees: The Valet (Michael) and Bellmen (Caleb & Derek) were all professional and courteous. Yamini from Roux was delightful! The breakfast buffet was very good.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I would like to thank you for being a recent guest of our hotel and for taking the time to write about your stay with us. Based on your comments you experienced some difficulties with your reservation and I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. I appreciate the points you mentioned and will use this information in training new staff for our Front Desk and Reservations. We would love another opportunity to have you as our guest in the future.

Been to Bourbon Orleans Hotel? Share your experiences!