“Great hotel! Perfect location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bourbon Orleans Hotel

You added Bourbon Orleans Hotel to your Saves list
Bourbon Orleans Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   717 Orleans St., New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% Off & Free WiFi
Ranked #5 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Aston, Pennsylvania
“Great hotel! Perfect location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

My mother and I arrived in New Orleans on St. Patrick's Day for a four night stay at the Boubon Orleans. Its location right in the middle of the French Quarter could not have been more ideal. The hotel takes the entire block flanked by Orleans Street, Bourbon Street, St., St. Ann's Street, and Royale Street. A half block walk from its entrance takes you to all the action of Bourbon Street, and a half block walk in the other direction takes you to the gardens of St. Louis and Jackson Square. We were immediately charmed by this historic hotel with its history going back to the early 1800's when it was originally the Orleans Ballroom and and Theater. The lobby is beautiful and exudes the feelings of old New Orleans. The rooms are newly renovated and lovely. Our room was on the sixth floor facing the courtyard/ swimming pool. Although not overly big, it was spacious enough. At least some of the rooms on the sixth floor have dormer windows (as ours did) and therefore a partially slanted ceiling. In no way did this take away from the comfort of the room. The wall behind the bed was burgandy and the rest of the walls were off white. French provincial furniture and frames sketches of New Orleans added charm to the decor. The bathroom was done in black marble, and again decorated with a beautiful New Orleans sketch. We only had a shower. Since I only take showers in hotels this did not bother me at all, but if you are a bath person you might want to check ahead of time as to whether there are rooms available with a tub. We had read ahead of time that the rooms facing the courtyard were the quietest. Since I wasn't too sure how noisy the rroms facing Bourbon Street might be,especially since we were arriving on St. Patrick's Day, I had requested the courtyard ahead of time. The staff at the hotel were always helpful, and immediately took care of any requests we had. We ate breakfast each morning in the hotel's restaurant, Roux on Orleans. The buffet was very good, and we always were fortunate to be seated at a table next to French doors that open onto Orleans Street, What a lovely way to start the morning. As already stated, the location was just perfect. My mother has difficulty walking, and so we had ordered a transporter wheelchair from Mr. Wheelchair. Once I got the hang of "driving" the wheelchair, it was really easy to negotiate the flat, though very rutted", streets of New Orleans, and the hotels central location was such a bonus. As with most of the old hotels in old New Orleans, the Bourbon Orleans is said to be haunted. There is quite a history, and the hotel is included on the haunted New Orleans tours. I decided I didn't want to know all the details until I went home, but did brave reading the history of the hauntings on the third night right before I went to bed. Not the best timing since many of the hauntings are said to be on the third and the sixth floors, and we were staying on th sixth floor. That being said, I just decided to put it out of my mind, say my prayers, make peace with any ghosts and go to sleep. That night and the next were fine. One thing odd did happen the next morning, however. My mother and I went to breakfast, and I had to return to the room before we went on our way for the day. When I got back to our room, the "Do Not Disturb" sign was hanging on our door, on both rooms next to ours, and on a room across the hall from one of the rooms next to ours. We have no idea as to whether our neighbors hung their signs, but we sure didn't hang ours. No other rooms in the whole hallway had the signs. I took the sign off, took a breath, and went in our room. All was well. The other signs were still hanging that evening when we returned to the hotel. Ghosts? Who knows, but It was just odd. One downside to the Bourbon Orleans is that although they have WiFi available and its use is free if you have your own computer, there is a charge to use the hotel computer. I have stayed a quite a few hotels where this is an included amenity, the most recent being in LA, where use of the business center is free of charge and part of the included amenities of the hotel. It is very frustrating to have to pay extra just to log onto a computer to check dinner reservations or your reservations for your flight home.
Would I stay at the Bourbon Orleans again. Absolutely! The accomodations are very nice and the location could not be more ideal.

Room Tip: From what I understand, the courtyard rooms are the quietest.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (824)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Great experience, nice location close to everything. Check in was not a problem had reservation correct. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Rooms very clean! Will regimens this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New Orleans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

The hotel was the site of one of the first opera houses in the city, a grand dance hall, and a convent. It doesn't take much imagination to see how fancy the lobby was in 1817, when it was built. And it's no wonder that the tour guides report nightly sightings of ghosts on the winged staircases.

This hotel is well worth a visit. Make sure you ask the front desk to show you the ballroom even if you don't take a tour. The staff is friendly and helpful and willing to show you some of the relics associated with the hotel that are set up around the lobby. Ghost enthusiasts and history lovers will find this an excellent choice.

Room Tip: If you want a haunted room, ask reservations for one on the sixth floor or one down the hall from th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Bourbon Orleans, just wished we had planned on a longer stay. Our room, breakfast, and all of the service was marvelous. The Bourbon Orleans is right there on Bourbon Street and within easy walking distance to most of the local sights. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We booked the Bourbon Orleans Hotel for one main reason.....its location! It is located on the corner of Bourbon St and Orleans St which is on the east end of the crazy part of Bourbon St. It was only two (very short) blocks north of Jackson Square. Although is is a little bit more than some of the hotels on the fringe of the Quarter the location made up for that as we saved more than the difference simply by not having to pay for renting a car and the high parking fees associated with it. This hotel made exploring the French Quarter so easy, you can walk to any point in the Quarter without a problem, even Frenchmans street. We could come back to the hotel when ever we needed to freshen up (it was very hot during our stay) or just to cool down and we never felt like we had to go out of our way to get back there.

This trip was for our first anniversary. My wife loves Nawlins and I had never been there so we thought it would be a great place to celebrate our first year. We knew we wanted a nice hotel near all the action/sights and once we saw the pics and read the reviews we knew this hotel would fit the bill nicely.

We were not dissappointed in our choice. We arrived on an early flight and the short cab ride put us at the hotel at 10am, which as you know is way before the customary 3pm check-in time. The staff checked us in and informed us that a room was not available yet, but we could store our bags if we wanted to go exploring in the Quarter and they would give us a call when our room was ready. So thats what we did. About an hour later we got a call on my cell that our room was ready.

The room itself was on the 6th floor and on the couryard/pool side. It was small but we had no problems with it. The bed was very comfortable and we have no complaints at all about the room or its condition (well maybe one, there are only blinds on the windows and no curtains so when the sun comes up the room brightens up too. We like it dark so that is one improvement that could be made). We read many reviews that described the shower with no door or curtain and couldn't visualize what they were talking about. it wasn't a big deal, we never found that water was getting on the floor as some had mentioned. The hotel is a very nice kept building inside and out. The staff was always friendly and went out of their way to ensure we were enjoying our stay. we only ate in the restaurant one time for breakfast so can't really comment on it other than to say it was convienent, but a little pricey.

I initially was concerned about the noise from Bourbon St, but with the location of our room we never heard a thing. And yes, Bourbon St was hopping, even on our first night which was a Thursday. Again the location was excellent for doing the whole Bourbon St "thing". It was nice to know that we didn't have to worry about driving or trying to catch a cab after a few to many "beverages".

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and as I said it may cost just a little bit more than those othere hotels outside the Quarter, but the location made up for this hands down.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Marrero, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Perfect location, outstanding personel. Would highly recommend! ONLY negative of our stay, was I read ice chest were not allowed in rooms, but we had no mini-fridge. Other then that, we had a great time, at a great hotel!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Amityville, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I've definitely experienced better. I stayed from 8/9/12 through 8/15/12. Although we had to live out of our luggage the entire time, we kept our room organized. The room was small and there were no dressers with three women staying in the room. They did not let us know prior, however when we arrived we were advised a $50 per day hold would be put on my credit card in the case of any incidentals which for 7 days should have only been $350.00.When I checked my credit card, they had held over $1120.00!!!! I immediately went to the front desk to have this solved & was told they were having “system issues” I had to take time out of my day to contact my bank and the front desk supervisor then spoke to them about the mistake which was then resolved. However nothing was offered to me for my troubles.

On 8/13 we rented a car for one day and when we returned later on that night (hotel offers $32 parking for the night), our beds were not made and all the sheets and blankets were left bundled up on the bed. I then found a RUDE note from housekeeping stating they did not clean our room because it was too messy! However prior to leaving that morning, we organized the room and even put all of our trash in a neat pile. Our room was actually the neatest it had ever been. Again I went to the front desk and a manager, (KEVIN) came to speak with me, he was completely embarrassed and told me that it was definitely a violation of their policy, action would be taken & we would receive the upmost accommodations he could provide. Surprise!, Again nothing was done for my troubles. That night however we did leave our room for a few hours while housekeeper raquel cleaned our room and did a fantastic job!

On our check out day we got a bill under our door for two night of parking. We only had the rental car for a single day and only parked it over night. At this point I was completely pissed because AGAIN I was being overcharged. I went to the front desk AGAIN and the supervisor did fix the charges and actually wiped out the day parking charge for my troubles. I let her know about my previous troubles and how nothing was done about the nasty note left on my night stand from housekeeping, she stated she would have the day manager Scott call me. Scott called me in the room prior to our 12pm check out & stated I would be refunded a nights stay, which was fine with me at that point, however it has been 5 days since I checked out and NOONE has been in contact with me from the hotel and no refund has been made to my account. I left a message for Scott who still has not returned my call.
Although this hotel is a great location, I would NEVER stay here again. They only accommodate you when it is convenient for them and other than Raquel, housekeeping is rude and unprofessional. The pool was warm and dirty, not really refreshing. The bar was dead and so was the restaurant which had the most expensive breakfast I’ve ever seen. Definitely not luxury!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Bourbon Orleans Hotel? Share your experiences!