“Can't wait to come back for another stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Bienville House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   320 Decatur Street, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Ranked #40 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Can't wait to come back for another stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I took my girlfriend on her first tour of New Orleans this past week. We only had one night and day, so I wanted to find a nice little hotel to give her a taste of the city. I've stayed in the typical chain hotels in the city, but I had yet to stay at the Bienville House. I really wish I had discovered this place sooner. The entire place was gorgeous and in the perfect location. Conveniently located just across the street from Landry's Seafood (another place I recommend), you can park your vehicle for the duration of your stay in the hotel's private parking garage and walk the French Quarter.

The decor was perfect for the area. We stayed in a deluxe king room, which was beautiful. Since it is a historic hotel, it does come with the eccentricities of any old home/hotel. In my opinion, that just adds to the charm. I loved everything about the room. The pool was incredible, as well. Very small, but very private and relaxing. There are towels out by the pool for guests, along with tables and lounge chairs. There's even an ATM at the pool. Very convenient so you don't have to find one out on the town.

I only have two very small complaints, and they both revolve around a couple of staff members. The morning we were leaving, there was a knock around 10 am for housekeeping. I politely said no thank you, but she didn't hear me and knocked again. So I basically yelled it but still politely to make sure she would hear. My girlfriend and I were not appropriately dressed at the moment, so I didn't want to go to the door. She apparently did not hear me say no thank you the second time, and she opened the door. While we were not naked, we weren't fully dressed. Instead of being professional and quickly apologizing before backing out of the room, she just yelled "Oh Lord!" and immediately started talking to a coworker outside in the hall about the incident. We could hear her through the door. That showed a complete lack of professionalism on her part.
The other complain came just at noon, which is the checkout time. My girlfriend was running just a few minutes behind on packing her things, so I called down to the front desk and said that I was very sorry but we were running just a few minutes late with checking out. While I understand the checkout time is in place for a reason, I also know that the cleaning staff can't be in every single room at noon to clean for the next guests and there must also be a little bit of flexibility. The lady I spoke with at the front desk said "Um, it's already 12:03." I apologized again, because I did like the other staff and loved the hotel. However, I could have done without the attitude.

Aside from those two small incidents, the stay was perfect. I will come back to stay again. I just hope the professionalism I experienced with the majority of the staff can spread to those two individuals who apparently don't understand that aspect of customer service.

Room Tip: Some rooms have bath tubs. Some have walk-in showers. Be sure to state your preference when booking...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
BienvilleHouseHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Bienville House, responded to this review, May 9, 2014

I regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and I apologize. Your remarks are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management team for review.

We greatly value your patronage and do hope to see you back at the Bienville House soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We got married in early March and stayed at the Bienville House with most of my family and some friends, and it was perfect. The Sales people we worked with (Isabelle and Maggie) were very helpful and responsive. And the hotel employees were top notch; Miss Beverly and Miss Cynthia were amazing, they were so nice and helpful to my friends and family and they really made our wedding weekend a truly special experience. The location is perfect, very close to everything and the hotel has a lot of character with many unique rooms with patios and the pool/courtyard area is all about New Orleans charm. We couldn't have had a better time!!

Room Tip: The hotel website photos need improvements, they don't have enough to show the differences betwe...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
We are so pleased that you found the Hotel Monteleone to be so comfortable, beautiful, and friendly. We certainly agree! We look forward to seeing you again soon in NOLA!
South Lyon, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We made a reservation really early through this hotels booking site since Easter time is so popular. I wanted a room with a balcony. We got it but the bed size was double (2 doubles), which seemed to be the only room type I could get with a balcony. Given this was a romantic, birthday gift trip for my husband he was not overjoyed. But the room was spacious and bathroom excellent. Maid service was not all that great--missed items on the refills even though we had tipped. Breakfast was no more than muffins/bagels/coffee. Apples were only fresh fruit option and the skins were tough. Server hovering over the coffee urns was very sweet and nice--definitely worth a tip. The staff at consierge and front desk were nice but did not offer many dinner options or literature for us tourists new to NOLA. They kept pushing one or two places and because I have a shellfish allergy, I needed more expert advice than what they knew I guess. I had to wing it with choosing a place to eat. Our first room (#208) was weird. As soon as we settled in, unpacked for the 5 nights and returned from our lunch, the ventilation system for the restaurant kicked in and our room vibrated dramatically all night. The staff said we were above the hotel restaurant venting system and did not offer immediately to help us out. The next morning early I insisted they find a room without that problem. So eventually they called back and found a similar room across courtyard from 208---222. No upgrade for our trouble and the internet in our room never worked properly in that new room. Internet was dodgy anyway I think because so many people were on at same time. We complained and all the desk clerk offered was that the service was functioning properly and so it might be our devices. I think not. I think they have a limited system. We avoided the hotel restaurant because the menu was way too high price and options for me (allergy) were very limited. Only one small elevator at the back of the tiny lobby so it was occupied quite alot. It did work and almost too fast with the doors closing on people. The hotel location is great, and right next to a great handmade candy shop! The Fire House across the street was NOT a problem at all. I had worried when I saw that. I think they must have an agreement with the hotels nearby to keep off the sirens. The pool was icy cold--not heated as promised so I only put my feet in at the edge. The courtyard is tiny and a bit disheveled all the time.

Room Tip: Avoid room 208 and any room above restaurant. Chose room with doors opening to courtyard, no balcony...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent visit to New Orleans and Bienville House.

We greatly value your patronage and do hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to display to you the type of hospitality and service upon which our reputation is based and which you have every right to expect.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

As a birthday present to my wife who wanted to stay in the French quarter. We got a room 214 with little to no air at all!! Lucky the weather was very nice but to noise to open the windows. We were on. Decanter street side and right next to the ice machine!!! Not a quit room at all!! But over all it was nice and walking distance to bourbon street and other areas of interest... I wouldn't pay the price again, it was alittle on the high side. But only hotel in the French quarter that would let you stay for only2 day. Most hotels require a 3 day stay in the quarter!!!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

We are truly sorry that you were not satisfied with the quality of your stay and accommodations. The Bienville House is a historic property, and with that comes a unique floor plan with varying rooms. We have tried our best to preserve the history of the building while still providing guests with a comfortable space to stay while visiting New Orleans. Again, we apologize that you did not find this satisfactory but we do ask you to consider the nature of New Orleans’ old buildings and the measures taken to modernize them while preserving their integrity.

It is our wish to offer our guests comfortable accommodations with particular emphasis on personal attention. Your comments are well taken. In this instance we did not perform as well as we are capable of and for that I sincerely apologize.
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We stayed at the Bienville House and our room was on the sundeck which was really nice because you have a patio with table and chairs right outside your room. Kinda like your own private patio. The room was spacious and clean however the teeny tiny coffee maker in the room was a waste of time. PLEASE upgrade your coffee makers. We wound up walking to Starbucks at the Marriott to get coffee each morning since we are early risers. Please note that this property does not have refridgerators as part of "the room" so you have to request one. Housekeeping was spotty since we only received 1 soap for our 2 day stay which was odd. Also my dad who was in the next room received tea bags next to his coffee maker and we got none. There is only 1 elevator so be prepared to wait. There is a complimentary continental breakfast which worked for us. I enjoyed yogurt, coffee and a bowl of cereal which was enough for me. However there was also bagels and cream cheese and a lot of breads, pastries and croissants to choose from. I thought this was a nice touch. Upon check in there was a bit of a problem with our room location. I told them on more than one occasion that our 2 rooms had to be next to each other. As I said they worked it out and honored my request after they aggravated me. Honestly I was ready to leave at that point. Overall I would recommend this property. It is a small boutique hotel in a great location and the rooms are not overpriced..

Room Tip: Rooms on the side of the Mississippi River are subject to LOUD boat horns throughout the night.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Healdsburg, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

This was our first time in New Orleans, and we considered ourselves lucky for selecting the Bienville House Hotel. Great location within the French quarter, close to public transportation, points of interests, and shops. The room was nicely sized and clean. The staff was most helpful.

Room Tip: chose any room with a window
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the kind review. We hope to see you back at the Bienville House soon!
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed here for the French Quarter Festival; it was just the best location. We could walk down any street around and hear really good music anywhere.
We stayed on the 4th floor. With a younger child it was great because they have fairly large shared balconies so we didn't feel all cooped up. Our son could go outside and play quietly while we just rested.
Even though there was very loud music everywhere, non of it caused issues for sleeping.
The morning food was fine and enough to get the day started. We really enjoyed it there.
All the staff were very nice and helpful!

We did have a few issues, but nothing horrible:
There was no regular coffee in our rooms. The front desk said they were out. We were able to get coffee downstairs, but it would have been much easier to get the first cup started without having to go down.
The pool was not clean or heated. We would have liked the option for our son.

Room Tip: The 4th floor seemed very spacious with walking around room on the shared balconies.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
BienvilleHouseHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Bienville House, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
We sincerely appreciate your positive feedback regarding your time joining us in April. Your remarks are well taken and have been brought to the management team for review. We'd love to have you back for another stay at the Bienville House!

Been to Bienville House? Share your experiences!